Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi guys,

Meet my latest aquisition:

DSCF3948.jpg

DSCF3949.jpg

I'm sure she's been an owner's club car at one stage as she has a Fabia rear wiper. Anybody recognise the car?

The car looks ok in the photos but as with any neglected Ovni car, its about 20 different shades of yellow. I have a plan for it though, I'm going to have it vinyl wrapped in another colour.

I bought the car because its one of the last of the "proper Cupras", ie, it has Electric Leather interior with memory, rain sensor, ESP and bigger front brakes. As most of the long standing members will know, anything after Y reg has a lesser spec and is merely a UK Sport model with Cupra badges. Its really difficult to get a hold of one of these cars with an AUQ engine, nearly all of them had the APP engine.

Anyway, enough about that. Does anybody recognise the car as an SCN member's motor?

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Cupra Ross - im very sorry for not being on topic and not being able to answer your question but looks like I'm an owner of a "proper Cupra" as well (with AUQ engine ^^). Can you tell me what do you mean by bigger brakes? Whats the difference in size between them then? I though they were same. Thanks !

PS.

Nice buy ! What happens with Bora then ?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Yep you should have 312 like the rest of us... mines the same spec jan 2001

oh and the 20 shades isnt neglect, its natural fade that they all suffer with

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Nice mate, but one thing:

Please change those wheels, they are gash!!!

:lol: This coming from a man who painted his wheels red! :p C'mon matey, each to their own, I quite like them. Secondly, my ar*e isn't lined with diamonds and a vinyl wrap is about £1k, so, one thing at a time. ;)

Cupra Ross - im very sorry for not being on topic and not being able to answer your question but looks like I'm an owner of a "proper Cupra" as well (with AUQ engine ^^). Can you tell me what do you mean by bigger brakes? Whats the difference in size between them then? I though they were same. Thanks !

PS.

Nice buy ! What happens with Bora then ?

312mm as opposed to 288mm if I recall. I forgot to add, the original Cupras had Electronic Stability Program too. The later sports with a cupra badge only had traction control.

The Bora is gone, I was fed up fixing things on it. It was as if the car was constantly fighting me. The Golf and Bora may be made from the same components as the Leon but they're not in the same league when it comes to build quality. The Belgian built early Leons were also better than the later Spanish ones.

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
ESP here as well ^^. We can shake hands Ross ^^

DEC 2000

Can I ask you how much have you paid?

CupraTurbo81

Nice motor, I like the wheels on it for some reason!! Mine is a 2002 AUQ with ESP and 312mm front brakes??

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
:lol: This coming from a man who painted his wheels red! :p C'mon matey, each to their own, I quite like them. Secondly, my ar*e isn't lined with diamonds and a vinyl wrap is about £1k, so, one thing at a time. ;)

:lol:

They're not red anymore, had them redone a greyish colour :p

If you like them, then that's all that matters. I can just see you changing them though ;)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Thats not strictly true mate. If you use a decent quality sealant with a UV inhibitor, it doesn't happen. Ovni yellow takes more looking after than the other colours but the fade is preventable.

Ive renamed mine ovni cream. Cheaper than a respray. Yours actually looks very fresh and not badly faded at all... or is the camera being kind?

Were all the high end cupras Belgian made? Am i right in thinking they were changed in 02?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
its really difficult to get a hold of one of these cars with an AUQ engine, nearly all of them had the APP engine.
You're talking pre face lift models then? i thought the AUQ VVT engine was the norm for most of the cupra's using the k03s turbo. It's been a while for me.:shrug:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
IIRC it was the very early Cupra's that had the 288mm discs and APP engines running the K03, they then changed to the AUQ with the K03s and 312 discs, its the lacquer going milky not the paint fading that's the problem if you could remove the lacquer then the paint is as fresh as the day it went on the car, also we now know about the problem with this so we can make an effort to reduce the effects, but when they where new no one did so by the time it was apparent there was a problem it was to late, so i agree with Traumapat not really neglect.
Mine is also a 2001 (Jan) with AUQ and all the above mentioned extras. :D

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Mines also AUQ ESP 312mm brakes and mines a Y 2001.

The only thing you have his leather seats and the rain sensor over later cars.

Auto dim mirror. Memory on the drivers seat, stereo display in the clocks and ESP over the TCS of the later cars. The brakes might actually be 323mm. I'll measure them up, they're definitely bigger than the later cars. This is Cupra number 6 for me so I know them quite well now. The Belgian cars drive better and are generally better screwed together than the Spanish ones.

Dave,

Yes, the Bora is gone. I've never had to fight so much with a car in my life. I still need to drop your coilover spanner off too.

The car looks fine on the drivers side but the passenger side rear quarter, door and the bootlid have gone very milky. At a guess, an exterior respray and lacquer would be £1500+. Vinyl wrap in the colour I want is £1200 and the technology they use now means it lasts a minimum 5 years and looks great.

I might get a quote to get the lacquer buffed down and redone, that might be cheaper but I doubt it and you'd never get the whole car exactly the same colour.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
reversing mirrors too? Do measure the brakes as i was under the impression they were all 312. mine were.

Very nice spec on these cars which i think went for 16-17k?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.