Modifications without remap

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
even if sh!t hits the fan, you can just stick a vagcom cable into it and put it back to standard map again lol.

a remap is the best mod you can do value-wise. best bang for your buck. id recommend a stage 1 remap if you dont want to mod your car too much. you wont get much gains from modifying without the remap as the ecu controls tha amount of boost it produces. your turbo might spool up quicker, your induction kit could add a few horses, but the price you pay for all of that is the same as a remap (which transforms the car into a raving beast)

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
I read a interesting article in EVO this month where they were talking about remaps, in the arcticle they answered a number of questions, one of these questions was can the insurance company / dealers detect a remap....

Now according to representative of Superchip, they can only detect that the ECU has been access at some point, but they're unable to detect by who and what was done.

Another point was made that the dealers only upload data onto the ECU, they never need to and cant read the ECU.

Now obviously this is just want i read, but it's certainly some food for thought.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples thought and experiences on this matter.

Do we have any car insurance people who would be able to confirm deny!

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
I read a interesting article in EVO this month where they were talking about remaps, in the arcticle they answered a number of questions, one of these questions was can the insurance company / dealers detect a remap....

Now according to representative of Superchip, they can only detect that the ECU has been access at some point, but they're unable to detect by who and what was done.

Another point was made that the dealers only upload data onto the ECU, they never need to and cant read the ECU.

Now obviously this is just want i read, but it's certainly some food for thought.

well iv had an inspector out a few times for various claims (uninsured idiot reversing into me, horrible pothole i hit) and each time they had a nosey around my car for tyre wear, suspension mods, engine mods etc but not once did they check/ask to check the ecu

jcullen88

Mar 15, 2010
Jersey, C.I
even if sh!t hits the fan, you can just stick a vagcom cable into it and put it back to standard map again lol.

a remap is the best mod you can do value-wise. best bang for your buck. id recommend a stage 1 remap if you dont want to mod your car too much. you wont get much gains from modifying without the remap as the ecu controls tha amount of boost it produces. your turbo might spool up quicker, your induction kit could add a few horses, but the price you pay for all of that is the same as a remap (which transforms the car into a raving beast)

Thanks for that, exactly what I needed to know!

Just been quoted an extra £130 on my insurance policy if I declare the remap, not sure if this is good or bad??

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i'd pay it just to be on the safe side, i will see my cousin next week who works for norwich onions and he is an insurance assessor so will check with him. insurance co's try all they can to get out of paying so worth it in my opinion.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Also, anything you write on here fully expect the Police, Insurance companies and Loan companies to be reading it too.
One guy on ere had his car taken from him with a very messy aftermath etc etc

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Also, anything you write on here fully expect the Police, Insurance companies and Loan companies to be reading it too.
One guy on ere had his car taken from him with a very messy aftermath etc etc

please tell me this isnt true?

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry

Take a look at some boost logs and they'd no fairly soon surely?

jcullen88

Mar 15, 2010
Jersey, C.I
Turns out all the questions about modifying the car without a remap were useless...Just been down to the local REVO garage to inquire about a remap, only to find that it has already been re-mapped!

Car has been feeling fairly "slow" for the last couple of months, but I just thought that was me getting used to its power, turns out though that my N249 was nackered so the timing was at 0 on the diagnostics. So brand new valve in, £30 for both valve and diagnostics and it feels like a completely different car!!

As I dont have to pay for the REVO, dont mind paying the price for insurance! Cheers for all the help lads

Fahid82

Revo stage 1
Oct 26, 2008
East Kilbride Glasgow

orite mate I unfortunately wrote off my lcr about year and half ago and it was stage 1 remapped revo it was a cat c but not once did anyone inspect the ecu and I had a really fussy insurance company admiral cheapest for a reason, when it comes to claiming they are a nightmare to deal with took me four months to get money and thats with the financial ombudsman involved cos they made so many mistakes in the claims after speaking to various managers the ombudsman took over and I got compensation in £2400 for them messing me about , hope this helps mate

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
I fitted all stage 2 bits to mine ie full exhaust de cat all silicon hoses air filter fmic it was a standard 210 bhp and on the rollers befor mapping it made 233bhp so yes it's ok to do stuff :)

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
Turns out all the questions about modifying the car without a remap were useless...Just been down to the local REVO garage to inquire about a remap, only to find that it has already been re-mapped!

Car has been feeling fairly "slow" for the last couple of months, but I just thought that was me getting used to its power, turns out though that my N249 was nackered so the timing was at 0 on the diagnostics. So brand new valve in, £30 for both valve and diagnostics and it feels like a completely different car!!

As I dont have to pay for the REVO, dont mind paying the price for insurance! Cheers for all the help lads

you could of saved the 30 quid by just doing the 249 bypass that cost pence to do:lol:

jcullen88

Mar 15, 2010
Jersey, C.I
you could of saved the 30 quid by just doing the 249 bypass that cost pence to do:lol:

N249 bypass is a personal thing aint it, and heard mixed reviews about it. Plus, going into the garage with a stock feeling car and coming out the garage with a full stage 1 remap for £30, that really dont sound bad to me!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I've been told my premium will only go up 30 quid to go stage 1.
Starting to save next month, happy days.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.