Track Day Car MK3 Ibiza

squirrelboy123

soz to gatecrash but how much was that cage. nice car by the way:D

Thanks allot..

The cage was £436.00 from Ebay, It is a bolt in cage and FIA approved. Be warned though because it’s a MK2 Cage its not a direct fit, I had to cut two small sections from the floor pans in the front and had to make two rear mounts for the suspension turrets, And there is lots of welding involved.. Well worth the effort though.. :)

squirrelboy123

Some more pics..

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

HiLux LoL

seat.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

Kerb Weight before I started 1193kg

Kerb Weight Now 1024kg (So close to the ton!!) Got to be more I can loose.. lol :blink:

Kw coilovers Next.. as its sitting like a Hilux on the rear now... :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

squirrelboy123

Looking very nice there[B)] as for shedding more weight are you still running the A/C system? if so bin it as the pump alone is pretty heavy!!! lol

That's not a bad idea! less belt drag too.. Do you know anyone that has removed the A/C? Does it bring up any fault codes ETC..?

I am also removing the Airbags as they wont work now anyway.. Fingers crossed I'm guessing that A/C pump and rad must weigh 6-8kg ish.. Only 16kg to go.. lol

Oct 2, 2006
As mentioned above I have removed the secondary air injection pump and pipework, it helps tidy the engine bay up, I get a code every few weeks. I have also removed the aircon pump pipework, pump and rad and also the vibration weight from the underneath of the car its quite a bit of weight and worth doing.:)

May 25, 2008
cambs
has anyone found any difference in vibration when removing the counter weight ???

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2006
I havent noticed any differance to be honest.

Forgot to say Squirrelboy your car looks great, love the cage.

Last edited:

squirrelboy123

How have you got it so light with it having a cage too?

Air con won't throw up any codes, the pump is a fair old weight! You do need a new belt though, a shorter one.

Remove the secondary air flow pump and pipes aswell that's pretty heavy. But it does throw up the odd code but just clear it and its fine.

I was quite savage with the cutting tools.. lol,

IMG_7097.jpg

I Removed both inner door skins and inner boot lid.. :blink:

The OMP cage only weights 26kg. Which is about one STD front seat.. < I know I as shocked to when I read it on the OMP site..

squirrelboy123

Is 1193kgs from a weigh bridge?

Yeah both weights where done on the same weigh bridge with as near to the same amount of fuel in the tank as I could (light on 0 miles to station) lol..

Thank you all for all your ideas so far.. Hopefully once both airbags (The new steering wheel turned up today!! :), This counter weight and the Aircon are gone, I may hit the magic 1000kgs.. :drool: Ill keep you updated..

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I was quite savage with the cutting tools.. lol,

IMG_7097.jpg

I Removed both inner door skins and inner boot lid.. :blink:

The OMP cage only weights 26kg. Which is about one STD front seat.. < I know I as shocked to when I read it on the OMP site..

not that savage :p there's still a bloody heavy crash bar in there.. and by christ they weight more than you think!

squirrelboy123

not that savage :p there's still a bloody heavy crash bar in there.. and by christ they weight more than you think!

I was going to remove them crash bars, But got scared.. lol I suppose side protection is now given by the cage.. Do you loose any rigidity in the door itself..?

New Sparco 383 Steering wheel now all fitted.. The drivers airbag alone weighed more then the new wheel, its boss and the 50mm spacer.. Gotta be 1.5kg gone only 18.5kg to go haha

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members