Uprated Intercooler - S3 / THS?

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Maybe not for now but had some experiences, particularly on hot days even though only running stage 1 with 'heatsoak'

As I undrstand the answer here is more than likely an uprated intercooler.

Personally I like the look of the THS one as it is a direct replacement, used by REVO in their testing and seems to have a good sales patter! However at £600 is a bit steep but probably cheaper than Forge and APR.

I know some have chosen to install the S3 cooler and would be interested in views;

1. Assume like the THS the S3 cooler is a direct replacement (no customisation necessary)
2. If I was to look for one second-hand or from a scrappers (what MK / year S3 would I be looking out for?)
3. Is the S3 cooler a worthwhile upgrade, does it give much more cooling that the std MK2 Cupra one
4. I am assuming that the same THS cooler is offered as an upgrade to the S3 and ultimately a better choice funds permitting.

From what I can work out is the Audi S3 cooler has a slightly larger core, with aluminium tanks, but still with restricted inlet / outlets)

Any views / opinions most welcome

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
1. Assume like the THS the S3 cooler is a direct replacement (no customisation necessary)
Correct. You will need S3 pipes and stainless screws for the end tanks rather than the screws that will come out of the OEM core though.

2. If I was to look for one second-hand or from a scrappers (what MK / year S3 would I be looking out for?)
2007 onward. Would be worth pricing the LCR intercooler and pipes from David at Sere Motors too.

3. Is the S3 cooler a worthwhile upgrade, does it give much more cooling that the std MK2 Cupra one
Yes. 20% reduction in inlet temps when tuned on a warm day, and the car will become more free revving and boost better.

4. I am assuming that the same THS cooler is offered as an upgrade to the S3 and ultimately a better choice funds permitting.
Yes, no doubt. However the issue the APR and THS will have, aside from price, is that it is absolutely sandwiched in between the A/C core and radiator. Having seen what can happen to an A/C core thanks to stones, grit, insects etc, over time, the air throughput reduces.

I removed the a/c core from my car with S3 intercooler fitted), and logged it against a near identical car with an S3 intercooler and a Forge Twintercooler on the same day, and found inlet temps to be approx 5% different.

Conclusion is, cheapest and most effective solution is remove a/c core and install S3 intercooler, but remember you will need the pipes for it as they are not the same as the pipes on the OEM intercooler. No doubt no a/c core and THS/APR would be better but the price is double that of the S3.

If you plan to track the car, spend more and get the THS/APR unit.

In my opinion, the Twintercooler is not that effective with no a/c core being present, and if the a/c core is present, while it will catch cold air better than an OEM core, it will in effect also further restrict air to the original intercooler.

Also be aware that the OEM standard intercooler is for the most part pretty decent. The S3 is different in that it has stainless end tanks and is wider.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Thanks Al,

Most information, I will give the upgrade some thought.

Being a bit daft here but I assume if I remove the AC core then I don't get AC in car.

Obviously if I was tracking the car ouldn't be a problem but would like to maintain the cars features and useability even if it just for 3 week a year when we get hot weather!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Kool,My laptop is at home at moment with ETKA on it dont suppose you know the FR TDI Intercooler number?

And does the R Intercooler offer much more than the others?

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Why have,nt you considered the Forge unit?. The intake temps are really low with mine. Its an easy fit too.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i asked Forge ages ago if it wud fit the TDI or if they planned a TDI Version and couldnt confirm either :cry:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Well I have an S3 Intercooler among other stuff I will be selling soon. Keep eyes peeled on the for sale section.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
when logging my vRS, with an ambient temp of 21 degrees on a 50mph cruise, my IAT were around 30degrees. one 3rd gear 2k-6k run and they rose to 50degrees+ every time. t took an age to recover as well, easily a good 2-3 minutes @ 50mph before we were back to the original IAT temp.

me personally im a fan of the twintercooler. they will bhe cheapest on labour as well. although like al said try sere motors for the new cupra r IC as that is the same core as the S3.

Poverty

unless you give your car a hard sustained thrashing I wouldnt bother upgrading, wayne ran the s3 cooler, i ran stock, both cars same mods and both just as quick as each other on back to back WOT runs. Its only on hot summer days that I ever thought I needed a upgraded cooler, but to some it moght not be worth it for the 20 days of sunshine we get.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Partly agree with you there Pov. My feelings are your car is always going to be getting an easier time with lower AIT,s with an uprated cooler, which is got to be good for the engine long term. Granted though, you will see little differences side by side a similar o/e equipped car for the occasional time trial.

Poverty

Partly agree with you there Pov. My feelings are your car is always going to be getting an easier time with lower AIT,s with an uprated cooler, which is got to be good for the engine long term. Granted though, you will see little differences side by side a similar o/e equipped car for the occasional time trial.

Ahhh yes I forgot about that angle. A bigger cooler means your turbo wont have to work as hard and reduce the risks of engine knock, so if you plan on keeping your car for longer term and prolong the life of the turbo a bigger cooler would be recommended.

Deleted member 53697

if you like your air conditioning - S3 + Twintercooler.
if you want the cabin temperature to be hotter than your intake temperature - S3 + AC core removal.

its a simple choice for me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.