Useful Distributor Hall Sensor Information 8v AGG

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Info gleaned on other sites.

What does the Distributor Hall Sensor do?
It's simply a replacement for the contact breakers of a regular distributor, telling the ecu when to charge the coil and when to fire it.It works using a digital on/off mechanisim, using three connections-pos, neg and 0. A slotted wheel spins around and blocks the pickup once per spindle revolution. (The 8v distributor has one slot in the wheel, 16v has four.)

Fault code 00515 Hall Sender G40 signal outside tolerances
TO Bring the Hall sender unit G40 back inside the tolerance, you must use VAG.com because the timing is controlled by ECU.
To do that go to 01 engine, then measuring block go 07 then
loosen the mounting bolt of the distributor then turn it anti or clockwise until it gets inside the range.

Full instructions here

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I fitted a new hall sensor on mine. With the engine bang on TDC for #1 cylinder, I lined up the rotor arm straight on #1 distributor cap terminal. The car ran, but spluttered when the pedal was initially floored - and it kept throwing the Hall Sensor outside limits code.

Tried block 7 on VCDS Lite - and I wasn't much wiser. First two blocks are hall sensor correction I was getting 5/11. With a long nose pair of grips to move the distributor body gradually, I got the first block to 2 and the second block to 8, but the car spluttered more when floored. I put the car back to the original setting and cleared the fault code again.

Went for a run and the car started spluttering at 5k rpm (wouldn't go over). I cleared the fault code again (on the hoof) and the car then ran smoothly to the limiter and the fault code didn't come back. Seems to be fine now. :shrug:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Mrs DPJ took KiwiCupra today and tonight, told me that it 'ran out of power'. :-o

Obviously limiting at 5k again. I had a trawl on the net and found this...

The distributor hall sender is out of sync and so the distributor needs top be repositioned. Start the car and enter Engine 01, Measuring Blocks 007 and four blocks of data will appear. Rotate the distributor until the value in block 1 is between 57 and 60 or 1 and the value in block 2 is between 5 and 8.

That's promising. I'll try it tomorrow.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The ECU will trigger the coil even if the distributor hall sender is unplugged, an ADY or AGG will run almost as well as normal up to 5K rpm with the hall sender unplugged, all it does is to tell the ECU where number one piston is so as it may initiate sequential rather than full group injection.

s28ven

Guys, I'm trying to get an AGG to run just now and I have no spark? I've tried a plug straight from the coil to earth and nothing when the engine is turning over! How do you test the Coil pack?

On the three wires going to the coil I have a power and earth and the red and green wire doesn't seem to do anything? Is this correct? or is there a way to test the inputs to the coil?

Cheers, Steven