Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Rip_Uk

I have leaky footwells also and may attempt to follow this guide myself if the garage where I got the car does not do this under warranty.

Can if use the VW Golf door retaining clips or do I need to get a certain type?

This is the listing title on ebay (I cannot post URL's yet): 10 X VW GOLF IV PASSAT DOOR TRIM PANEL CLIPS RETAINERS

Rauer

Well I did the passenger front door today a that's the only one leaking at the moment! All went well did it in about an hour , had failed under the speaker. I didn't replace it all tho just the bottom and half way up as I couldn't be arsed to take the panel off! The front drain hole was mingin, cleaned it all out tho! Hopefully I no longer own a seat le-pond!

Rauer

Yeah was fairly easy apart from the paper kept ripping! I loosend the panel and removed all bolts, pulled some of the old seal off to the bottom half of the door and then presed it on ! Were I had removed the old seal, the only time I found the seal to be a pain in the arse was when I was pushing the carrier back up into place ( as the weight o the window had pushed it down ) as the seal wanted to stick to my hand!- the seal isn't sticky until it has been compressed, and the other problem is getting the bolts back in cause the stuff is so god dam thick!

Rip_Uk

I did the rear near side door yesterday and it went Ok. I am a complete noob when it comes to cars so it shows that it should be fairly easy for anyone to atttempt. It did take me an hour and a half though but who gives a ****.. it didnt cost anything.

My seal also failed around the bottom of the speaker and in the joint below the speaker so I just put a load of silicone sealant around the speaker and then behind the carrier. When I bolted the carrier back on I then sealed around the front of the carrier just to be certain.

I managed to only break one of the door retaining clips so I just put the internal door cover back on without one of seven clips. I have ordered some of these clips for the next door and you can get ten of these clips from ebay for £3.59 delivered.

The only thing the guides do not mention is the handle that you wind the rear windows down with. If you hold the plastic ring in the middle of the handle and then push the handle up it will come loose and you can then take it off. I spent some time trying to work this out.

Rauer

I just want it to rain now so I can see if it worked! And I didn't break any clips- was gobbsmacked tho as I literally ripped it off as I had bought 10 anyway!

andycupra

status subject to change
Yeah was fairly easy apart from the paper kept ripping! I loosend the panel and removed all bolts, pulled some of the old seal off to the bottom half of the door and then presed it on ! Were I had removed the old seal, the only time I found the seal to be a pain in the arse was when I was pushing the carrier back up into place ( as the weight o the window had pushed it down ) as the seal wanted to stick to my hand!- the seal isn't sticky until it has been compressed, and the other problem is getting the bolts back in cause the stuff is so god dam thick!

in the summer the seal can be too sticky so you cant get the backing paper off. i have advised some people during summer months to stick it in the frudge before hand so its useable. Seems when its cold you dont have this issue.

I would also say that the seal is actually too thick, (which is why the VW alternative is something i would try if i had to do it again). When i have done this job i have tended to sqeeze the seal between finger snd thumb so its not as thick, but wider. hope that makes sense. This will make fitting bolts afterwards easier.

Joey2cool

Nov 14, 2007
Wiltshire
just got the part from Seat Portsmouth and will give this ago weather permitting at the weekend. Gonna tape up the windows tomorrow so the situation can't get any worse...

Although, I am slightly peeved that they gave me a half used kit. Got home and opened it to see a roll and half taken and the obvious rip where they pulled the half off! Not happy! Back to the stealer tomorrow I go!

jogo78

Anyone know if you have to take the front seats out to remove the
wet underlay from beneath the carpet to dry it out properly?

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
2004-2010... Is this the longest running thread here?

Anyway I've just bought a 2003 LC and of course it has the same problem as every other Leon here. Now I've read the guides here and I've just got three questions.

1. Is using silicone sealant such a good idea? It's cheap but surely it's going to make future removal of the carrier plate really hard work.

2. How easy is it to clear off the old traces of foam seal if doing the operation without fully removing the carrier?

3. Can I get away with sealing just the bottom and two sides or do I really need to seal all the way around?

Cheers all, DS :)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
1 buy the stuff of ebay do it once do it properly (imho) search Butyl sealant strip tape

2 It falls off (unless it already as) You leave in to top two bolts

3 Yeah bottom and two side should suffice.

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
1 buy the stuff of ebay do it once do it properly (imho) search Butyl sealant strip tape

2 It falls off (unless it already as) You leave in to top two bolts

3 Yeah bottom and two side should suffice.

Cheers!

I was looking at the butyl stuff on t'bay, at about half the price of the "real" thing from VAG. Will get some. As for the old foam stuff I assumed it would have some sort of adhesive backing to hold it in place during assembly - makes the job a million times easier if it doesn't have a backing.

DS :)