Why you should use vag-com to re-set the Throttle body

Adam87

I tried this on my '01 Leon 1.8 20v non turbo last night and each box said "NA". Have I done something wrong or can the TB not be reset on this engine?

Cheers

Adam87

Yeah, got the full version, although it is an older version, unregistered version wouldn't even let me access the basic settings menu.

Adam87

Umm, well it's a friend's vag-com and it's not really an official version so may not be possible...

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
Thank God for the Internet and all the fine people that use it...

I'd noticed that my Leon had started to run progressively worse in traffic over about the last year. The throttle response became jerky and the exhaust note was much harsher. It was really only at small throttle openings though and seemed just fine at all other times, although the fuel economy even on a run appeared to be worsening. I just assumed it was due a service and lived with it. I only do about 3k miles a year so it was easy to forget about.

Today I read this thread (that's been staring me in the face every time I've come here) and thought I'd try the VAG-COM reset. Two minutes later and it's like a different car. The idle is smoother, gentle acceleration is jerk-free and it averaged 5mpg more than recent trips over the usual 30-mile route to visit my parents.

Thank you thank you thank you.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
From reading the bottom link in the first post it seems sometimes the ECU does it itself?

http://www.waheedkhan.com/vagcom/vagcomthrottlebodyadapt.htm

"Throttle body adaptation is a reset of the throttle body flap to align it to the accelerator pedal as the TT is Drive-by-wire.

Its recommended to be done at a service and then always if the battery were to be disconnected, there are 2 ways to do it.
1. Switch on the ignition and leave it on for 30 seconds.
(You should hear some clicking in the engine bay, always after a battery disconnect)
This is not guaranteed to happen as the ecu decides if it needs doing,
if you disconnect/reconnect the battery first then this method will definitely work.

or

2.Use VAG-COM procedure as described below"

I wonder how the ECU decides if its going to do it or not? also it says "if you disconnect/reconnect the battery first then this method will definitely work."

Any thoughts on this or am I missunderstanding?

I work with the guy who did that guide - can find out lots of info from him if needs be - let me know people if you need questions answered :)

Joe

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
Interesting read , I've just clean my throttle body using carb cleaner from halfords last week, was told by seat mechanic to switch ignition for 5 minutes n then switch it off for a minute den start it again , to b honest I'm not sure way effect this as cause the car felt fine b4 n fine after, if u were to clean it n not align the TB wat will happen to the car is wat I'm worried about ?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Before I had vagcom I cleaned my TB without aligning it and there were no adverse effects. As long as you dont do anything stupid like try to force the flap open you should be OK

JW.CupraT

Aug 22, 2010
Leeds
I just reset mine via Vag com after I cleaned it, mine drops to 14% on Throttle sen 1, is that correct? doesn't seem to go any lower when the ADP is complete.

jaybeee

[e]
Feb 24, 2006
Belfast
www.metalrhino.com
I first reset mine back in June 2010 (as you from my comment of thanks on page 4).

The car has been very lumpy the last month and I just completely forgot about this procedure lol

But this time I cleaned the throttle body too, and then reset it.

So far so good :)

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've done this today via vcds and the car runs worse than before. It almost stalls on idle, the throttle sometimes doesn't respond, and when it does it responds too much i.e slight pressure on the pedall = 4k revs. Any ideas?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.