Winter tyres

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Driving with winters on and people think you're idiots.
I've found that too - for instance when using the slushy outer lane of dual carriageways that others can't.

Also worth bearing in mind that on snow, you'll generally be able to stop a lot more quickly than the car behind you...so you need to plan for them too.

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
I was out for the first time in the snow today with my Pirelli Sottozero's and i'm very impressed with the grip. I didn't expect them to be this good because before the bad weather arrived i wasn't too chuffed the way they were performing. I can floor it in slushy conditions with only minimal slip, awesome:D

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
No winter tyres anywhere for sale. One week lead time, minimum.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
think i got lucky. i ordered mine of mytyres friday. on saturday they doubled in price and then ran out of stock.

they arrived this morning, now i just need some snow

Al

Aug 29, 2005
think i got lucky. i ordered mine of mytyres friday. on saturday they doubled in price and then ran out of stock.

they arrived this morning, now i just need some snow

Doubled overnight eh. Profiteering from Basic Laws of Economics, supply and demand and all that.

They won't be doing that with me, I can assure you :)

Which ones did you get Sy?

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
nankang Snow SV-2. seem to get good reviews, and more importantly they are popular in germany which is why i went for them really. if they were pants the germans wouldnt use them. I dont expect them to perform as well as my old vredestein snowtracs did, but id bet they are still pretty good, and at only half the price

307_TO_LEON_FR

Oct 17, 2008
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I can highly recommend the Marangoni HP Meteo's from Kwikfit. £423 fitted.
The cars never felt so good to drive, so much grip even on the snow.
Only problem I've got now is trying not to go flat out everywhere as before I would bunnyhop in 2nd/3rd where now it's instant traction and a lovely engine roar!

gazprice79

Oct 27, 2009
I've picked up some goodyear ultragrip performance 2 there great pricey but worth it when you consider what it the other option is!!!

Rickst3r

Cupra K1...
Dec 13, 2009
Falkirk, Central Scotland
I'm seriously considering getting some winter tyres, been looking at the Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2.

Will these types of tyres really make a worthwhile difference in the snow ? As I'm not wanting to blow the best part of £700 on winter tyres if the difference is minimal.

Rik

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Extract from Honest John web site

"Remember, on snow and ice ESP is normally best switched off because it can fight a driver's reactions to a skid in super slippery conditions. But you need to find an open area and test this out for yourself before switching it off.

On hard packed snow, frozen snow or ice, ABS might actually prevent the car from stopping because it automatically releases the brakes on wheels that are skidding. If all four wheels are skidding it will release the brakes on all of them. So on snow and ice, think ahead and start braking gently a lot earlier than you would in normal conditions. This is particularly important descending inclines or approaching junctions from side roads where you could skid straight out of the side road into traffic on the main road." - I had forgotten all about this bit !@!@~

. .........................................

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I'm seriously considering getting some winter tyres, been looking at the Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2.

Will these types of tyres really make a worthwhile difference in the snow ? As I'm not wanting to blow the best part of £700 on winter tyres if the difference is minimal.

Rik

I think this video from Haddock on here says a lot about how good they can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC5G_DAM9g4

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.