R8 Style LEDS With Projector Lights

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
Heyy

So ive been lookin at replacin the front lights in my leon for somethin new and i came accross these:

http://www.essexracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1196
leonreal.jpg

Just wondering has anyone got any lights like this ? Would love to see what they look like fitted

They look to be just like the Dectane ones (they might be those very lights, in fact). If you do a search for Dectane you should find some pics of them installed in a car.

I believe they look OK although I seem to recall reading that you're not supposed to use HIDs with the projection lights in these as they don't cope with the output/heat.

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
I think they look nice!

My current plan is :
Full Aero Kit - Those Lights - BBS CH Alloys Black with Red Lip and Debadged front grill

Loool :p

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
Hmm im not sure.. I havent messed with my car much yet, only had it a week hehe

I might order these lights.. But im just wondering, what happens if an LED goes out? Is there a replacement part or?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
They look :w4nk: in my opinion. Nothing looks more like "i wish I had" when you see Mundaneo's, Chicken Paxo's, Ashtray's etc with a strip of Blue LED's built in to the main headlight unit.

If you want R8 lights, buy an R8.

[/£0.02]

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I might order these lights.. But im just wondering, what happens if an LED goes out? Is there a replacement part or?

LED's themselves don't go out, that's one of the best things about them. If you see an LED brake light with one or two LED's that don't work it will 100% be a faulty solder joint from the tailgate thumping when it's closed and not a failed LED.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
They look :w4nk: in my opinion. Nothing looks more like "i wish I had" when you see Mundaneo's, Chicken Paxo's, Ashtray's etc with a strip of Blue LED's built in to the main headlight unit.

Or stuck on the outside with sticky tape and the cable poked through a nearby pannel gap :clap:

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010

[/£0.02]

Ive seen the shitty ones that people buy off ebay for like £15 and stick em on.. those look pathethic

But i really like these.. With the way i want to style my car i think these will suit it nicely

Gazza_24

Sep 4, 2009
I quite like the look of the actual headlight but don't like the LEDs in them :-((

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet

[/£0.02]

I defo hear what ur saying about the ashtrays etc because some people to take things to an extreme and it looks ridiculous (a good example being the guy who transplanted the entire front end of his Saxo for an alfa 146 one) but clearly none of us have £100k for an R8 or else we'd be on the R8 forums! So for someone who want the look, but don't 'wish they owned one' what do you suggest?

If your gonna go down the whole 'don't add stuff Coz u wish u had it' route then you could argue there's no point taking our cars to stage1/stage 2 and stage 2+, even sometimes stage 3, Just buy a faster car!! You did it on your old cupra!

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
There is some logic in what you say. However a 2k motorbike will kill an R8. What I am trying to say is that speed/performance is not wannabe. Not the same argument.

Point in fact is that these lights look cack, as do the LED strip lights people have been adding recently. If they were actually the same colour as the xenon bulbs it could look ok but the point is they don't. It's much like Lexarse lights, Bentley wheels etc.

What I would suggest is OEM xenons.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
There is some logic in what you say. However a 2k motorbike will kill an R8. What I am trying to say is that speed/performance is not wannabe. Not the same argument.

Point in fact is that these lights look cack, as do the LED strip lights people have been adding recently. If they were actually the same colour as the xenon bulbs it could look ok but the point is they don't. It's much like Lexarse lights, Bentley wheels etc.

What I would suggest is OEM xenons.

Couldn't agree more.

The Lexas lights craze is a perfect example. Not to mention - they were hideous.

Manny

2016 Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Nov 27, 2010
Well on the way i plan to have my leon , i think these lights will look good! But only if all the other bulbs are the same colour as the leds

Al

Aug 29, 2005
By the way MS Design are the only company I have seen stock factory style LED's. That's the same folks that do the OEM body kit.

Not advocating that type of mod but if it's a route you plan to go down, you should at least take a look there :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members