Poverty

surely a map could be manipulated to get it to pass the emissions

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK

:yes: - anyone worth their salt should do this.... because otherwise they don't have a grasp of the fuelling at any other point in the load / rpm (which is far more worrying)

skiddusmarkus

Apr 30, 2010
These remaps people keep referring to.Are they just generic stage 1/2/whatever maps flash loaded to the ECU with no input from the "mapper" for that particular car?If thats the case, maybe the flash he has doesn't take into account the 550cc injectors ir its the wrong stage map(I presume that would be 3 for these cars).

If each car is indvdually mapped ie like with ECUTEK/NISTUNE(where the OE ECU is cracked and can have a true remap) then surely the mapper can lean off the mixture at tickover.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK

on my car the mapper could adjust it enough to pass the MOT. we only found out the other day that one of the exhaust valve had burnt out so had everything rebored/cleaned and replaced. fingers crossed you dont have the same issues as me - lots of blue smoke when on boost.

oet

i'm trying to find out exactly where and how its failing, but i cant get to speak to the mapper, i thought it would be able to be mapped out as its meant to be a full stage 3 map, not a stage 2 map thats been adjusted.

oet

i have had 2 sets of spark plugs burnt out whilst they have been mapping it too, not ideal!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
thats quite disturbing to hear...

you sure they know what they are doing?
what other issues about the install have been reported?

oet

yes its not good is it.

They recon they were having trouble turning the fueling down enough, am not sure why they never explain really whats going on....which is a shame as i thought they were the type of tuner who would keep me properly updated.

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
I call for faulty cat. I had a 120 cell racecat and failed MOT miserably. Got an Audi 2.7T cat and it read 0 across the range.

snow_muncher

Are there any ways to test whether a cat is working, and if the cat has been damaged by unburnt fuel, etc, is there any way to clean it ?

oet

was wondering if cat could be an issue, or o2 sensors or even injectors, ie if any of the above are coked up and need cleaning. Is there a way of telling.

By the way Bill, this is the engine/injectors you had in the 4x4 octavia you owned a while back, its, had full engine testing, manifold repair as was cracked, new custom turbo pipework, new turbo and a head skim with a new head gasket since then though.

Do you offer stage 3 full custom mapping?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if its the octavia - its ****ed

still pulling CF of 9 just off idle? rattle its brains out and use 1ltr of oil for 200miles?

that engine?

:p

Hoping its been rebult since i had that pos car.

and... yes i do stage 3 mapping here.. my own, on my dyno..

The octavia does not remind me of good memories.. worst car i have ever owned, ever!

oet

well thats not good news............it is that engine!

It has been run and doesnt run rough or burn lots of oil as far as we can tell. It has had quite a bit done to it, do you have any idea why the cf was high? what are your thoughts on it burning oil?

When the head was off it was fully checked and my mechanic stated the top end looked like new with no wear.

I knew you had this before the last owner, thats why i was a little less concerned, didnt you fix the running issues when you had it as it must have had an mot etc on it then so must have passed emissions?

Last edited by a moderator:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
it passed mot fine when I had it... and its 2 owners or more since I had the effing thing.. Horrible car.
Oil consumption was poor.. filled the catch tank and burnt the oil. Used >1ltr on journey to Southampton and back from Glos.. 1/2 way back low oil level warning.. FFS..

Its rattle, combined with its high CF's and high oil consumption I put down to excessive bore diameter vs the correct size for the pistons, or some ring problem.. I dont know. Eddyh who had all the work done on it spent literally £1000's on the thing. I believe the thing to have been overbored too big. It was already apparently 83mm bore too.. so on max size.

All I did to it was remove the POS turbo that was on it, for one which spooled in the same calendar month, which made it more drivable, and reinstated a couple of the manifold studs which had undone, fix some vac piping and fit an induction kit. Its g'box broke on me so I replaced it, but thats the extent of the work I did on it.

I got rid of the car as soon as I could.. It was a money pit.. and I wanted a reliable daily driver.. This was nothing like that. It needed completely rebuilding to be right, and thats not what I had time nor inclination to do. Its build spec should have made it a nice car, reality however was it sucked big time, and the worst car I have ever made the mystake of buying - EVER

I hope it does'nt cause you too much angst.. It was a 'mare for me, hence getting rid. and to think I traded my perfect running S8 for that as well! I must have been temporarily insane that day. :no:

God knows whats been done to it since I sold it on.. It was beign broken last I heard, such was the angst it caused every owner....

maybe best to set fire to it and put it to rest.. Its got the ingredients to be a proper "christine" car

you may get the ideal I dont like the car... I hated it.. absolutely hated the POS thing.

good luck
I think you are going to need it, along with a lot of £ and patience.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise