Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Keep up the good work :D

Get some more bay pics up ;)

Thanks... not done any pics of the bay recently as I haven't finished fitting the cone filter properly yet...

Here's one less the cone filter... nothing has changed other than that so far...
IMAG0382.jpg

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Grabbed a couple of hours this afternoon to look at sorting the cone filter installation... There are a couple of goals to this... first is to fit the trim cover over the cone filter to give the OEM look that most of you know is the theme of this build and second is to see if there will be enough room to house the oil catch tank I plan to fabricate.... the current setup has the Jetex filter just sat in the lower half of the OEM air box and the PCV venting to the underside of the car... I did have an eBay catch can but there was no place to fit it nicely so its found a new owner and I plan to fabricate my own (a baffled one) and design it to fit where I have space...

While I have been sorting the rest of the car out and the mapping I have been running the Jetex filter pretty much just plonked on... The inspiration for this came after seeing Warleydaddy's cone filter install where he fitted the trim to give the OEM look... the only real problem is the filter he used was a bit smaller than the Jetex which of course makes things a little more tricky...

Current Jetex install...
IMAG0443.jpg

..and the recent addition of an inlet for the N75 bleed pipe...
IMAG0444.jpg

As you can see in the following picture, the size of the Jetex and the current angle of the fitting means I can't get the cover on at all...
IMAG0447.jpg

...so I removed the lower section of the airbox to remove a couple of sections from its floor... the plan is that it will allow the Jetex cone to fit lower in the lower airbox section and give me room to fit the trim cover and potentially the catch tank...
IMAG0448.jpg

Now to cut some stuffe out...
IMAG0449.jpg

...front section where hopefully the catch tank will reside...
IMAG0451.jpg

...rear section to help position the Jetex cone...
IMAG0453.jpg

...lower section fitted back into the car... as you can see from the front section, there is a little bit of room to drop the catch tank down close to the gearbox mount to get some capacity if needed...
IMAG0454.jpg

...and as you can see from this pic, there is a little bit of work needed to the TIP to alter the alignment a bit and some extra sections needed to join it all together... I may also need to adjust where the cold air feed comes in to allow the Jetex cone to sit closer to the wing giving me a bit more room for the TIP/MAF pipework and the proposed catch tank...
IMAG0456.jpg

I positioned it all roughly then placed the trim cover (this is not the top half of the airbox but the trim cover that S3's have...)
IMAG0457.jpg

Ran out of time to do any more tonight but will try and find some time over the weekend to work out the rest... plenty of scope for adjustment in the TIP as its sectional and the silicon can be trimmed etc as required...

That's it for now... happy new year everyone

<tuffty/>

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Love this car! I had my Jetex mounted like that to start with but I ended up going for a Jabbasport heatshield, more as a way of mounting the cone filter properly than anything else.

You might want to consider trying an Apexi Power Intake filter. A few folks have these on mk1 LCRs and similar, seeing similar g/s flows compared to Jetex but they're much smaller than things like Jetex, Green cones etc.

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/universal_a.php?subID=333000182&subName=Air filters

There's been a bit of discussion on these things in the mk1 Leon section recently, quick search will bring up a bit more info.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Thanks mate... I am pretty confident I can get it all in tbh but I'll bear it in mind... slowly running out of room under the bonnet but still determined to keep it OEM looking :)

I have a revised map ready now so back to the dyno in the morning and see where we are... might even get to up the boost if the fuelling is sorted :thumbup:

<tuffty/>

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
A smaller cone would obviously make it easier to fit but also if you have more space around the filter (i.e. not having the sides of it hard up against plastic etc.) then you'd probably get a little more airflow. I've often wished tho that I could have fitted my jetex inside the OEM airbox too so will be interested to see how you get on in terms of any effects on g/s by enclosing your cone filter.

Good luck on the dyno mate, fingers crossed. You deserve a great result with all the effort you've put in!

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
...Good luck on the dyno mate, fingers crossed. You deserve a great result with all the effort you've put in!

Thanks mate... been a long time coming but getting there at last :)

Just read the whole thread from start to finish. What an amazing project! Hats off to you mate, seriously impressive work

Thanks... its been an interesting project... quite tricky trying to keep everything looking factory but really pleased with the results...

Any news? Hope it went well. :D

Read on my friend ;)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
The PCV pipe bodge (sorry... temporary fix) decided to give up the ghost today so needed to get something sorted on that really... I noticed that the non VVT 20v engines on Ibiza's have a pipe thats metal rather than plastic and appear simplier in design so dug one out of the bits box to have a look...

Looking at them side by side the Ibiza (maybe the same as early A3's too) pipe is 'Y' shaped and metal while mine is plastic and crap... and broken of course...
20110102_IMAG0459.jpg

The problem with this pipe of course is that it isn't a direct replacement... nowt will line up right for a start on a std engine layout and as can be seen in the following pic of the pipe in its rightful place on an actual Ibiza its designed to fit with no VVT actuator in the way which sticks out the side a bit further...
20110102_IMAG0466.jpg

My current setup uses a Forge replacement hose for the crappy rubber shite coupling the PCV together to the 'hocky puck' from the cam cover and crank breather...
20110102_IMAG0464.jpg

...the Forge pipe that will be coming off :(
20110102_IMAG0471.jpg

Early AMK engines are different to this setup (Danes car being the one that springs to mind), mine being a later AMK shares more with BAM engine codes and Forge list this part as BAM only but it will fit later AMK engined S3's (and possibly LCR/TT's too)

As I still need to fabricate the catch tank I have set this up pretty much how I had it before venting down to the deck for now... I need to make some adjustments as its touching the VVT unit so really need to stand it off a bit to stop engine vibrations wearing through the VVT actuator and/or the PCV pipe...
20110102_IMAG0470.jpg

Bill had a new new file for me to try and see if we could get the AFR sorted from 5.5k as it was going very rich and killing power...

Before running the car on the dyno though I wanted to check the oil pressure as since fitting the AEB large port head I have developed a rattle on idle that I am pretty sure is the VVT unit but to be sure I wanted to check the oil pressure as the oil pump is cheaper and easier to replace if it turned out to be that... hooked up an oil pressure gauge and got the car strapped to the dyno...
warmed her up and checked idle pressure... around 22psi... loaded the car up and this went up to over 80psi (all checked at 90 degrees engine temp)... not the pump then...

Looks like I will need to get a new VVT tensioner unit then.. rubbarsh :(

Oh well, next Bill ran the car up on the dyno and we managed to get 'a run' before the dyno decided to not record coast down losses... not that there was much point as the AFR went lean after 6k rpm so did some logging runs and left it at that as time was pressing on... the car did manage 354bhp though on the same boost which goes to show the rich AFR was killing the power at the top end... Bill didn't rag the engine too hard though as while it wasn't dangerously lean its better to be safe than sorry... ran out of time so will tweak the map again and try another day...

Quite productive so happy :thumbup:

<tuffty/>

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Seems a struggle fighting the std ecu.
Whats the restriction? T25 ? housing? wastegate?

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Seems a struggle fighting the std ecu.
Whats the restriction? T25 ? housing? wastegate?

Not sure I follow mate... std ECU is fine tbh... biggest problem I have is fitting my tuning in between Bill's (and mine) busy schedules... The engine is running fine so I am in no great hurry to get it done and due to the big hardware changes I have made recently then its back to basics and doing runs, logging and tweaking to get everything back on track...

The original map was designed to add a bit more fuel top end as I was having EGT issues... this is no longer the case so fuelling needed to be adjusted to suit... went too far in taking fuel out this time round so the next version should be pretty much **** on... ECU live adaption is only +/- a couple of percent which is normal and spool is earlier than before with no timing pull and the power curve still going after the original 7.2k peak...

I still have a little boost creep though and this is down to the internal wastegate... as this is minimal and below what the final peak boost is likely to be then I am really not that bothered at this time... doing any work to rectify this requires the head off and I am sure a little porting of the internal gate will fix the issue so I will not bother going external gate.

Back to work tomorrow so prob won't get to the workshop before the weekend now although Bill has the file ready...

Will of course post up the final results once Bill is happy the map is right timing and fuelling wise and we can up the boost...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
here is the location of my custom made catch can.
http://img269.imageshack.us/i/imag0031d.jpg/
maybe it will be a good idea for yours, also.
its fitted with 2 bolts from the plastic lower side of the battery cover. its size is smaller than the ones sold on the Internet, in order to fit the small free space from the engine.

Looks good but my DV and its pipework will be in the way there sadly...
IMAG0383.jpg

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK

bogdan_wrc

S3 driver
Feb 18, 2009
Eastern Europe
wow..mine is full of dust, no matter what i do. i have the same problem with the exterior of the car. dust is a big issue in my country.
i have to clean my air filter each 1500 miles :(
your car looks very nice!

is it still very drivable in town? i mean...is it still a all day car?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.