Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Rauer

quick fix:

you dont have to take the whole door card off, just remove the screws from the door handle and at the bottom of the doors and then lever the door out. i then got my lovely assistant (wifey) to pull the door car out while i siliconed the area and put the trim back. took about half an hour to do all 4. no more leaky doors ;)

cost £3 silicone tube
1/2 hr to complete job.

But now you have water building up in the doorcard! Do you keep many fish in there?

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Be very careful if you do this -- you're risking splitting the top of the door cards. They split very easily, and are expensive to replace.

Mike

True, i did unclip the doors so it was only being held at the top of the door card and had plenty of space to lift up do the job.

Nov 15, 2010
Harrogate, England
Wet Floor!!!

Hi guys I have used the "search" bar for this and the most common issue i see is with the front passenger footwells being wet, well, mine arent, both sides of the rear footwells are wet. I was having a good hoover and i noticed it so I put the heater on the floor to dry it out, seemed to dry out in about 10 minutes but it still worries me, any thoughts? Nobody with wet feet has been in the rear either..

DubSteve68

Nov 4, 2010
Up North
Ok so is there any idea why just the rear footwells are wet and not the front?

Door seal failure is totally random, sometimes it's the front, sometimes it's the back. On mine it was the driver's side, front and rear - passenger side unaffected.

Best thing to do is stop puzzling over why it's just your rears, read my guide (part 2 here) as well as all the info posted by everyone else here, buy the bits you need and get your doors sealed properly. It doesn't take long and really isn't difficult.

DubSteve :)

Last edited:

Nick-21

Oct 26, 2010
wouldnt the same thing happen if i used the rubber seal?

i have only siliconed the bottom and upto 3" vertically and not all the way around.

No because you are meant to put the sealant or rubber cord behind the metal door carrier behind the trim that you have gunked up, yours still leaks but now fills in the door card instead of the foot well.

The idea is to stop the door carrier leaking so that all the water runs to the bottom of the inside of the door and out of the drain holes.

Mine need doing, seems this cold snap has ended mine and as its p*ssing it down here today i have water beads in the front foot wells! Rubbish :censored:

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
No because you are meant to put the sealant or rubber cord behind the metal door carrier behind the trim that you have gunked up, yours still leaks but now fills in the door card instead of the foot well.

The idea is to stop the door carrier leaking so that all the water runs to the bottom of the inside of the door and out of the drain holes.

Mine need doing, seems this cold snap has ended mine and as its p*ssing it down here today i have water beads in the front foot wells! Rubbish :censored:

:censored::censored::censored:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
So you didn't remove the metal carrier behind the door card.

Did you not read this thread?

British-Fail.jpg

Last edited:

Nick-21

Oct 26, 2010
So you didn't remove the metal carrier behind the door card.

Did you not read this thread?

British-Fail.jpg

Ha, i didn't want to be quite so brutal but that has brightened up my morning a little

Definite :doh: moment

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
The cold weather wrecked my DIY fix of the seal so have to do it again now!!!:censored:
The sealant I used is a nightmare to remove so looks like im goimg to have to remove the entire metal door carier this time!
Is it just a matter of loosening all the bolts and pulling it off or is there more to it than this?
Dont want to be breaking anything inside the door :confused:

Fadel

Dec 15, 2010
Nottingham
I did a couple of my doors sunday, really is a piece of cake to be honest so don't be put off :), just get stuck in.

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Ive done the door before but the seal I put on it didnt hold and I know from using the sealant before that its a complete nightmare to remove. Its the thought of removing the whole carrier that I dont like!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise