Lowered the Altea (With pics)

Altea_Pike

Ok guys need your help again, I have a 2.0 tdi altea 140 bhp need some brakes for the front wheels, cheap is the oredr of the day, ideas welcome, also 2 prong question, have looked at gsf car parts and found the altea does not feature, does anyone know if any of the other models have the same settings?? and if so what sizes do I need.

Thanks Steve

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I'd say your looking at mm brakes discs, any local motor factor tbh... approx £30 for a set of discs, pads roughly same again, ferodo premier are good for std brakes i find, Toledo, Leon (although brake sizes i think vary, 280mm more common, could be wring though), Golf, Skoda, VAG mainly.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I've been reading through this thread and have to say that the Altea looks pretty good lowered. I've just had a rear spring coil snap on my Altea and it looks like a set of Eibachs might be the way to go. That is unless anyone has any stock rear springs they don't want.

Sorry mate,i like to hang onto my standard stuff incase! But the eibach springs are nice! :)

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Same here m8. Eibach pro Springs and Dampers are even better!:p the 30mm drop is about 40mm-50mm in my eyes from the standard ones.

Yes i worked mine out at 45mm lower! A bit too low at the front for my liking,but the back is spot on! :)

Fitted a chrome smile and kick plates to mine this week too!

iyd5rp.jpg

2rypxj7.jpg

28gurue.jpg

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Ressurecting an old thread but its getting close to me fitting these:
27022010177.jpg

Chosen because lowering is only 25mm. From a company in the Netherlands who are big into airbag suspension. See www.mad-springs.com/english/ and www.mad-tuning.com/lowering.php

and these:
27022010178.jpg

I have conflicting advice concerning fitting the springs. Rears are no-problems but for the front I have read that a number of the nuts (pinch bolt nuts, bottom ball joints, top strut mounting and wheel bearing) must be replaced with new one's. Seen this on DIY guides for the Golf mk5. I asked a seat dealer and they said only the wheel bearing nut needs replacing and an independent suggested only the top strut nut :confused:.

I've done plenty of cars before and have never replaced nuts but the posts in respect of the mk5 make me nervous. Not sure what to do now. What did you chaps do when you lowered your's?

Also what torque settings should be used for the respective joints?

If I was to be lazy and have someone fit the fronts for me, how much would be reasonable? I've been quoted £50 a side (+ the dreaded) at the moment.

Last edited:

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Hi mate,nice wheels those! I think £50 + a side is quite steep,i wouldn't pay someone more than £80 all in to fit them! It was a pig of a job,but we made a lot of mistakes like stripping the wipers and scuttle panel before realising theres a panel that comes off :cry:
I didn't replace any bolts either!
Not sure on the torque settings either sorry!
Good luck with the fitting! :)

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Fitted rear springs only together with a Weitec +20mm spring distance kit so net lowering = 5mm on back. Done this way due to caravanning and not wanting to get stuck in a field. Rear springs being stiffer will be better when fully loaded up. As I've got the bodykit I don't think the 18's look too bad. :shrug:? Offset is better than the 17's so fill the arches better.

Been round with the clay today and then polish and wax. Photo's taken when it's coming dark so not the best.

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0186.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

DSCF0184.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Just fitted my winter wheels,thanks to Kevs fr,off here for keeping them so tidy before selling them on! :)
I'm liking them a lot! what you think,may just keep them on all the time! :shrug:

25up121.jpg

24qogp0.jpg

tinky

Apr 13, 2010
Nah, put old ones on for the summer. These look nice, but i prefer those ones.

Kencoboy

hey man loving the look of the altea .. just as a question where did you get your chrome strip for the bottom of your bumper ? and loving how much you have lowered to you find the ride quality has gone down with them fitted?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.