Changing wheels, affect speedo?

JonSportPD100

Pretty much as above, i have 16's on at the minute as standard and looking to change to 17's i have heard though that this can then lead to the speedo not being completely accurate? Is that true?
Cheers

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Yes. It will read slower. It'll probably be more accurate though, as speedo's are allowed by law to read up to 10% over, but are not allowed to read under. In practice, they do read 5% over or thereabouts, and that is the difference your 17's will make.

Also if you put 225/40/17's on instead of 205/40/17's then your speedo will under-read further.

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
as lippo said,i changed to 17s with 205/40/17 tyres from 205/45/16s and my speedo is just about spot on now maybe reading 1mph slow at most.

ride will be harsher with the 40s not that ive noticed as its rock hard anyway!, not sure about fuel consumption being different though as the rolling circumference is about the same what with the bigger wheels but thinner tyres.

VWscooby

Apr 20, 2008
Durham
Running on 215/35 18s my speedo is 3mph ut at 60mph. Ride isnt 'too' much worse. MPG is actually better on the motorway but about 4mpg down around the doors. You pays your money...........

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I think the mpg gets worse due to the combined weight of the new, larger wheel and the tyre. This unsprung weight can have an adverse effect. I lost around 5mpg when I put VRS alloys on. I did use cheapo tyres so they may have caused extra drag as well.

The 17" wheel/tyre combo felt much heavier than the 16"s. If you use 215 then they have aarger surface area that creates drag.

Wash It!

Feb 21, 2009
Hampshire
They aren't :D This is my Brothers website and Tyre calculator - He based the Alloys on Momo Arrows that he had on his S13 years ago.

The calculator is pretty handy though!

Credit to your brother, it's the slickest calculator of it's type I've seen. Some are horribly confusing or require an enormous amount of data.

Yeah, it's been up for ages, feel free to click a couple of the ad links :D It pays for his hosting!

He's been coding an Offset calculator (ET) for a while

He was also thinking about a stretch calculator too... but wasn't sure as he doesn't want to be responsible for tyres pinging off cars and people killing themselves after putting 165's on 9J wheels :D

Wash It!

Feb 21, 2009
Hampshire
Haha, a disclaimer on the website front page will cover any legal troubles. Moral ones, however, are a little harder to ignore!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.