1.4 Ibiza - Rough / fast idle from cold, sputtering with lower grade fuel

MilkyJoe7

Hi everyone

A little problem here I hope you can help with:

My 2003 1.4 litre Ibiza has developed a couple of issues over the past year - I'm not sure when they started happening.

Firstly, the engine sounds rough and idles fast (1100rpm) when starting from COLD only. The revs gradually drop over the next 5 minutes until they settle at a happy (and smooth sounding) 600rpm.

Secondly, the engine seems to sputter (crackling sound) when accelerating, and will sometimes hesitate - this is only really noticable when using 95 RON fuel. If I use premium, it's not bad.

The spark plugs have been replaced and the throttle body has been thoroughly cleaned.

I would be grateful for any informed suggestions on this!

MilkyJoe7

Thanks - what was it in the end, or didn't you solve the problem?

I had a coil fail about a year ago, and the RAC guy just replaced the one coil.

This weekend I'm going to replace all four ignition coils and see if this helps with the sputtering.

....other suggestions I've seen on the net for the fast/rough idle are a dirty/broken MAF (mass airflow) sensor or dirty/broken coolant temperature sensor. Does this sound likely?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Is that the case? However, it's still running really rough from cold.

i have a 1.4 100hp engine and it has always sounded quite gruff on a cold start, usually makes a tapping noise as well as the oil circulated round the engine. The revs are always at 1100 on a cold start then after the engine has warmed up its usually about 600. The spluttering im not too sure about tbh, but i was told that its best to replace all the coilpacks at the same time rather than just the one that has failed.

MilkyJoe7

i have a 1.4 100hp engine and it has always sounded quite gruff on a cold start, usually makes a tapping noise as well as the oil circulated round the engine. The revs are always at 1100 on a cold start then after the engine has warmed up its usually about 600. The spluttering im not too sure about tbh, but i was told that its best to replace all the coilpacks at the same time rather than just the one that has failed.

Thanks for that, I also get the tapping before the engine warms up, as well as it sounding generally rough.

I have now changed the coilpacks and there is no longer any hesitation, and performance is better. Still a little sputtering though with 95 grade fuel.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Thanks for that, I also get the tapping before the engine warms up, as well as it sounding generally rough.

I have now changed the coilpacks and there is no longer any hesitation, and performance is better. Still a little sputtering though with 95 grade fuel.

Good news then! I think its just quite a gruff sounding engine, its an old design, that's why mpg if mot great either

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.