Boost hose popped off again!!!

MillsyFR

Feb 6, 2011
Linlithgow
Absolutly raging [:@] i own a ibiza fr pd130 07 plate.
When I bought my car, Belmont motors garage changed the timing belt and water pump.
Only 2 minutes down the road, a pop from the engine bay and the car went in to a sort of limp mode. Turns out they forgot to tighten the c-clips around the boost hoses and the bottom boost hose had popped off! They tightened it up and sent me on my way. Today, driving down the m8 motor way at 70mph, I pulled out to accelerate and felt a juddering through the steering wheel in lower revs, along with a loud grunting coming from the engine bay while on boost. Thought "this isn't right" and repeated slowing down to 60mph then accelerating, again the same sound and feeling through the steering wheel. The next time I did it "Pop" and the car goes in to limp mode and no boost. Feels like the boost hose has gone again! So an AA tow to a VW garage in Bathgate later and I'm waiting for them to get it on the ramps tomorrow. The AA man and the service manager at VW reckon Belmont has used the same weakend c-clip to resecure the previously popped hose. Really not happy!

Has anyone else had the same problem? I have been told it's quite common for these to pop off but is there any way of getting uprated clips so this doesn't happen again?

Sorry about the rant but I've only had the car 1 month and it's happens twice now! Rant over! :D

May 22, 2009
South Wales
i had the same thing the other day!

On the bottom boost pipe there is two small bits of plastic that hold the c clip on. these have a tendancy to brake off. i still have one left on mine, but to make sure it doesnt blow again i have wacked a load of self amalgamating gaffer tape around the joint and works a treat. if not, i would purchase another pipe but i think they are v expensive for what they are!!!

DSL130

Intercooler pipes

HI, I have had similar problems with my TDI 130.Eventually found the problem to be a broken part on the lower intercooler pipe.It was the retaining part that the clip rests on, it was being held at the top but was jumping of at the bottom under pressure. A new pipe and clips cured the problem.

MillsyFR

Feb 6, 2011
Linlithgow
Cheers, so I'm not the only one. How much is a New boost hose? The VW service manager said if the little triangular bits on the hose are knackered then it will need new clips and hose? He said the clips cost 3 quid but he didn't say how much a new boost hose would cost. He did say that it would be unlikly to need a new hose as it's an 07 plate.

DSL130

intercooler pipes

Bottom hose was £26.00 and two clips were £4.00 the pair from Seat Dealer.When I had old pipe of and saw the part that the clips locate it just a bad design.

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
if its the 90 degree hose off the bottom of the SMIC - that one is about £90 (it was £94 when I had to replace mine last march!!) so very expensive!

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
Join it together and put a screw a self tapping screw to join it.

Mines been fine since and thats with revo stage 1.

Mar 25, 2009
bath
buy some 76mm heat shrink and shrink it over the joint and secure it either side with a cable tie, this even holds it together without the c-clip in!

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
The heatshrink is a great idea, one I didn't think of when my hose popped off at the bottom. I just used cable ties to form a cage around the join, one around the hose and one around the plastic connector it joins to. Then I cable tied those two cable ties together. Only cost a couple of pence to fix and not had a problem since.

MillsyFR

Feb 6, 2011
Linlithgow
Just had the car in to Volkswagen in Bathgate and they said they replaced the lower boost hose because the small triangle lugs on it were broken. Two mins after they replaced it, it happened again, they put it back on and even before I drove it out of the court yard, it happened again!!!!!! As you could expect, I wasn't best pleased. The service manager said that the boost hose had been fitted incorrectly and that they would yet again need to order a new one! What the he'll is going on? Surley it can't be that hard to fit a boost hose and tighten it up to the extent that there is no danger of it coming back off? If the hose keeps popping off after this new one is fitted, what other problems could be causing this?

I know it sounds as though I'm a Moany idiot but I've had my car only 1 month and Its been off the road for over 2 weeks of that. Garages are a pain in the a**e, why can't they just fix things for good!

Mar 25, 2009
bath
The stupid design of the pipes means there is no way to tighten or correctly secure them without adding your own form of securing them. It's 2 hard pipes secured together with clips and lugs, silicon hoses and hose clips would be so much easier. You can't just add a jubilee clip or anything due to the design

MillsyFR

Feb 6, 2011
Linlithgow
The stupid design of the pipes means there is no way to tighten or correctly secure them without adding your own form of securing them. It's 2 hard pipes secured together with clips and lugs, silicon hoses and hose clips would be so much easier. You can't just add a jubilee clip or anything due to the design

Heat shrink here we come then :D I am a bit concerned that if the hose does break with the heat shrink on it, would it not be at risk of bits of the heat shrink getting in to the turbo and knackering the engine?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.