Clutch Pedal Snapped. GUIDE

Poundie

Aug 25, 2009
London
Ive just put my pedal back on after welding it up but...

Has anyone had problems getting the spring back on? Mine is being a ******* to stretch and get back on!

cupra_ad

Sep 18, 2008
My pedal snapped the other day so my garage has welded it back up but the mechanic snapped the White clip when putting it back on.
Now they're saying they can't buy just the clip and it's going to cost 28 quid for the whole pedal!! Now the pedal is fine and welded up ready to go back on the car.

Can anyone confirm I can buy just the clip for a matter of 80p from seat?? If so anyone have the part number? Or a name for the part other than "White clutch pedal clip"?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Cupra_Wob

Mine just went, was waiting for it tbh oh well mobile mechanic/welder coming out tommorow

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
The wife picked me up from work tonight and i found my biteing point had changed alot and there was a large amount of play in the pedal. Made it home and guess what..........the second i pulled on to my drive it snapped.

Its the common crap welds that have given way.

I read on here that steering column has too be removed........this is rubbish. I have removed mine with a phillips and flat screw driver.

Here's how.

Remove the plastic panel in underneath by removing 3 phillips screws. Remove that compartment under steering wheel.

Now remove the clutch pedal switch by screwing it out.

Remove the safety clip on the end of the pedal axle with the flat screw driver and remove the clip on the other end of axle (next too brake pedal.

Slide the axle along too the drivers side until the clutch pedal can be wiggled out of place.

Becareful not too get hit in th face by the over centre spring.

Here is what ELSA says with diagrams.

E30-0030.png

E30-0029.png

Weld it up and refit simple.

Right iam off too weld mine up now.

Hope this is of some help to someone.

Matt

Thanks for the guide, but I'm struggling a bit.

I've managed to get the first clip off but I can't see the other clip you mention. Also you say "Now remove the clutch pedal switch by screwing it out.".... wheres that? I can't see a clutch pedal switch!

Anyway, the clutch pedal is now loose and I can move it to the left but then it hits some box thing... dunno what it is, but I can't see how you get the pedal off with this box in the way?

All help appreciated!

Thanks
Ben

DannyB2K

Great guide "Cupra Matt", followed this to the letter and worked fine (with a lot of swearing/cursing and sore thumb/finger tips) apart from 1 aspect. That poxy spring! Me and my dad have tried getting this in including depressing the spring like some of you have said on here with cable ties etc but to no avail. Even tried hooking the spring to a welding rod (My dads a welder so this helped a lot lol) so it can be pushed and manuoved into place but I still cant see how it gonna go. I swear you've got to be a small child or a good contortionist to do this easily. Any ideas guys? Or is some wise alek gonna tell me that i should have put the spring in position before i fitted the pedal to the white clip and axle ect?

Btw to any1 reading this is the future it isn't a quick 15/20min job. I'm no mechanic or fitter, but i do tinker around with motors and this took only took me best part of 40mins or so to get the pedal off ( 25mins or so getting the saftey clip off the brake pedal end) nd now ive been on this for about 3hrs (only 30mins or so actually refitting the clutch pedal) the rest spent on getting the spring in, which I still aven’t done.

Dan

elcristoff

Cupra Sport ****yeah!
Apr 8, 2009
Portsmouth
Mine went Yesterday, had it rewelded and went to fit it. It took me the best part of 5 hours to fit that retarded spring. Didn't think to compress it with ties, and it's clicking a bit meaning that its not fitted right.

Also having the EPC light problem, so i'll vagcom it tomorrow or something.

Don't you just hate Seat, sometimes?

DannyB2K

I know what i git ey? Btw the EPC light is where the clutch sensor has been moved or not reconnected. Just check that plunger that is sittin on top of the clutch pedal.

ickleredders

my clutch pedal on a morning sinks lower than my brake pedal which if i leave it like this is impossible to get it in gear! if i just pull the pedal up in line with the brake pedal its much better and stays there until the next morning, does this mean mine could snap anytime soon??? ive just had the clutch replaced as some donkey put the wrong clutch in my car before i bought it! thanks

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Little Hulton, Manchester
Mines just gone.. A good 9 months after I thought I needed it (As stated a tad higher up the page).. Going in to the mechanics tomorrow. He thinks its a cable problem, but I will print this guide off and show it to him.. Wish me luck!!

Pownabown

Mine snapped just before christmas
welded it back up but now it clicks when you push it all the way down
and again when it comes to the top :(

Can anyone advise me how to fix this? or do i really need a new pedal?

jtizzle24

mine went yesterday :( but think my clip has broke aswell can you buy the clip from seat?!

jtizzle24

fixed mine today absoulte bitch to do,, just remember to put the clip on the road before putting it into the pedal,, or you wil have to take pedal back off like i did :/ did it all in about 4hours very stressful though

pdjs01

is it possible to use a mk4 golf pedal on a mk1 leon????????????
not got a welder but i know someone breaking a mk4 golf.

if i just take to whole pedal assembly out and do a straight swap will this mean i wont have to mess about with this pesky spring i see so many people have been having problems with?

pdjs01

guys need some help, i changed the pedal out and found the spring a piece a cake to refit with a few cable ties, having big issues with the whit clip tho.
i broke the old one when it all snapped, i took the new one out the new pedal as i couldnt get the master cylinder arm back into it while the clip was in the pedal still. so i tried putting it on the cylinder arm first to then pop into pedal once fitted but i cant compress the cylinder enough by hand to pop the clip into the pedal where it needs to be.
how the hell do i get the clip onto the cylinder arm then back into the pedal???????????

frustrated as i got it all sorted apart from this last little bit, and i cant drive the car until i figure this out

smiffymk3

Jan 31, 2011
Aylesbury
happened to me today, luckily just as i was pulling up outside my house! unfortunately meant i had to take the day off work but hey, worse things happen at sea

many thanks to cupra matt, made doing this 10x easier & quicker. if anyone has any questions about doing this repair feel free to ask

smiffymk3

Jan 31, 2011
Aylesbury
Thanks for the guide, but I'm struggling a bit.

I've managed to get the first clip off but I can't see the other clip you mention. Also you say "Now remove the clutch pedal switch by screwing it out.".... wheres that? I can't see a clutch pedal switch!

Anyway, the clutch pedal is now loose and I can move it to the left but then it hits some box thing... dunno what it is, but I can't see how you get the pedal off with this box in the way?

All help appreciated!

Thanks
Ben

The second clip is on the right hand side of the brake pedal as you look directly at it. Easiest way to see it is to lay on you back in the drivers footwell and look directly up the left hand side of the brake pedal (would be to your left as you are laid on your back) and you should see it;looks exactly like the one in the Elsa picture provided by cupra_matt

The clutch pedal switch is a rectangular shaped box with a connector at one end and a long-ish rod at the other that physically touches a flat plate on the clutch pedal. Bear in mind when you disconnect it, you may log a fault causing the EPC light to come on. Simply clear the fault memories using VAG-com or equivalent fault code reader

Hope this helps

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.