Lowering Ibiza (how low can It go)

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
Hello!

I was lowered my car...as far as I could, offcourse not totally as coilovers can but that much that tyres can not srub the fenders and now I have jus one problem.

Everything is fine except one thing...when I steer right there's some vibrations...it's hard to explain bit it's some kind of "soft vibration"
I have feelig like my tyre is not round (circle) than some kind of gear...when I steering left everything is OK, but when steering right it vibrating like tyre has some
friction with road. With coilovers I was also changed original silent bushes wih powerflex silent bushing.

The question is...does someone has problem like that? We were look about two hours on every pice of car and there's nothing to srub.

Here you can se how low It Is.

p4025146cr.jpg

p4025150.jpg

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Check bearing on coilovers (in the top mount) if gone, when turning could cause this kinda vibration

Also the driveshaft on right side (UK drivers side) is longer than the left side (UK passenger side) so could be scrubbing

I ran at your height (or maybe little lower really) for at least 6-7months and was fine :)

dunc_b

Is the balance weight/rubber.bush on the o/s driveshaft sat against the outside of the chassis leg on yours? Mine is and has the same symptoms as your describing.

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
Is the balance weight/rubber.bush on the o/s driveshaft sat against the outside of the chassis leg on yours? Mine is and has the same symptoms as your describing.

Sorry but my english is preety poor so I don't know much this "technical words" and google translate sucks on my language, so try to explain me a little bit what is a weight/rubber bush (where is this part located) an also I don't know what you mean under "chassis leg" :confused:

2 Big Pete:

Wheel bearing usualy don't make vibrations just make noise, this is different you don't hear anything inside or outside but feel vibrations...

If I go very slow than this issue is not present...it's present on 30km/h or higher speed and it's harder when I accelering :think:

dunc_b

Sorry I was on my phone earlier so couldn't see your location. If your look at the right hand driveshaft does it have what looks like a black rubber ring around it about 20 - 25 cm from the outer CV joint? That rubber ring is rubbing against the bodywork on my car causing the problems you describe

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
Sorry I was on my phone earlier so couldn't see your location. If your look at the right hand driveshaft does it have what looks like a black rubber ring around it about 20 - 25 cm from the outer CV joint? That rubber ring is rubbing against the bodywork on my car causing the problems you describe

Ok, now I understand but It's not an issue. I have this rubber ringbut It is about 2-3 cm from body (cca 1 inch) as I remember but now I se that I was forgot to tel something.

Ok My car is LHD, most of you here have RHD versions but I think that only diference is steering rack...so I have this vibrations only when I steering right but they not comes from right side of the car...they comes from front left side and as I was said, nothih cannot crub nowhere, we were look at It on all places and all sides. Only thing that can be is maybe joint on drive shaft with gearbox...but I'm not clever anymore :banghead2:banghead2:banghead2

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
i have recently done 2 rear wheel bearings on mine and the front passenger one 2times.

and the diagnoses for the 2nd front one was the same as you have.

jack the car up and see if you can move the wheel to and fro. (up and down means top mounts left and right would be either loose hub nut/bearings or dodgy bushes.)

jsut my input

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
just wondering if theres an issue with the strut.. my lad has an issue with one of his on his Bora that only gives an issue at certain times , has checked for all sorts of rubbing etc and theres nothing.

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
I don't know anymore what we were looking at but I think all this stuffs and diferent positions of the wheels, but there's a problem because we can see what we see on car jack...the car is standing still without load. I was say before that If I drive real slow then this is not hapening.
I will drive today and try to determine what else affect on this in drive, maybe we'll be smarter than. Last option is put a webcam under t he fender and other places where rotation part is...connect to an notebook and see what's hapening in drive...a liittle crazy idea but I'll not give up 'till I solve this :)

harley

Feb 10, 2011
I had this problem with mine.
Check your drive shafts for movement when the car is on the floor, if the shaft does not move in and out of your gearbox you will need to release your hub and try to move it out if possible. I had the prob because the drive shaft I had made especially was made 1cm to long. Hope this helps

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
I had this problem with mine.
Check your drive shafts for movement when the car is on the floor, if the shaft does not move in and out of your gearbox you will need to release your hub and try to move it out if possible. I had the prob because the drive shaft I had made especially was made 1cm to long. Hope this helps

I think problem is something about drivershaft or something near...how much did you lowered yours and what camber setting you made? I think that main is made too negative (I don't knw how much degrees but I knot that was fizicly maximum).

I'll see this possible issue with drivershaft and reply here after that.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2008
cannock
i took mine into midland vw and they couldnt find the problem , it isnt a noise or anything like that its just a feeling when you go right kinda got used to it now

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
i took mine into midland vw and they couldnt find the problem , it isnt a noise or anything like that its just a feeling when you go right kinda got used to it now

Maybe your case is not same as mine, this vibrations are not so small, now I discovered one more thing, if I give bigger throttle and steering right this vibrations dont' stop even wheen I put steering wheel back to centar untill I relese throttle or change to hihger gear.

:think:

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
Problem solved! The issue was in Constant-velocity joint (aka homokinetic or CV joint). There is a piece of plastic...some kind of distance and on some VW forum one guy tells me that he had same issue on Golf II GTI and problem was solved by removig this plastic part from joint. This part is obviously not too much relevat because he removed It a long time ago and everything is still working OK, so we was removed It too and things are just fine now. Also we was do the optic geometry job again and camber settings as well so car is now sealed for the road :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.