Bret

Lcr stealth :)
Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
A blind folded chimp with a paint brush in his hand would do a better job.

I would have to agree sorry bud ive seen some bad DIY jobs but when you pay for it to be done right you expect it that way i agree you shouldnt have to fix your mirrors ands door handle as such the swirls but in a couple of photos the texture lookd rough :(

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
thats the proble your all looking at photo's.

when i spoke to dave and had a look around the car, from the second time of it being finished the paint work bar one spot wasn't bad, they had machine polished the full car to a better than oem finish, any inspection would show this aswell, which is why i said dont go legal. when any car is painted they need to be left for 6 weeks before the final inspection and polish, soe places will drop and have but this along with the swirls can be taken out by anyone cometant with a buffer.

the original job by the sounds was and outside blow over, second time round they went into the door shoots, you have to remeber though, a respray is refinishing its not factory and as such, if you want it back to better than factory the job he paid for could quite easily of trippled. he didnt how ever tell me about the build up problems

now the offer of repolishing has been with drawn i would wait a god 6-8 weeks, and then go to see some one who will then go over the car and give it its final finishing, granted this will cost a few ££ but worth it. with the paint being so soft from being sprayed, if some one were to wipe dust off with a rag it would mark,

but some of the remarks on here and detailing world are simply un called for and the usual poo stiring that goes on when people dont know what they are on about.

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
I must say that's right, it's easy to forget about the weeks for the paint to harden and then marks to be removed - myself included I must say.

Hopefully now a good will gesture will turn up for a paint detail for you mate, if I was better with my buffer I'd offer to do it for just cost of materials but I'm yet to perfect the art of RDS removal.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
it is going legal now. i haven't got what i've paid for. rear quarter *needs* respraying, rest of the car *needs* polishing, the glass they've damaged *needs* sorting, the fact they've left the car in a state *needs* sorting. the paint looks like a brillo pad's been over it. it's not my place to be paying for someone to polish it - that's part of the work they should do. as they're incompetent, i don't see why i should be paying someone to sort it - they should be doing it.

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire

when i spoke to dave and had a look around the car, from the second time of it being finished the paint work bar one spot wasn't bad, they had machine polished the full car to a better than oem finish, any inspection would show this aswell, which is why i said dont go legal. when any car is painted they need to be left for 6 weeks before the final inspection and polish, soe places will drop and have but this along with the swirls can be taken out by anyone cometant with a buffer.

the original job by the sounds was and outside blow over, second time round they went into the door shoots, you have to remeber though, a respray is refinishing its not factory and as such, if you want it back to better than factory the job he paid for could quite easily of trippled. he didnt how ever tell me about the build up problems

now the offer of repolishing has been with drawn i would wait a god 6-8 weeks, and then go to see some one who will then go over the car and give it its final finishing, granted this will cost a few ££ but worth it. with the paint being so soft from being sprayed, if some one were to wipe dust off with a rag it would mark,

but some of the remarks on here and detailing world are simply un called for and the usual poo stiring that goes on when people dont know what they are on about.

In the detailing world yes but at the end of the day you dont pay all that money for even ONE SPOT or even several as Dave states bellow to be wrong then having to pay for detailers to go over it :wtf: i mean really you think thats good:blink: i have had only one car re-sprayed in the past look like it come out of a showroom he used no detailing machines jus a microfibre cloth and some autoglym no swirls no patches,wish i had your sort of money to piss up the wall.

it is going legal now. i haven't got what i've paid for. rear quarter *needs* respraying, rest of the car *needs* polishing, the glass they've damaged *needs* sorting, the fact they've left the car in a state *needs* sorting. the paint looks like a brillo pad's been over it. it's not my place to be paying for someone to polish it - that's part of the work they should do. as they're incompetent, i don't see why i should be paying someone to sort it - they should be doing it.

Make em pay dude its not right if you want a hand taking them hostage just let me know :lol:

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
bret, i mention the detailer as the people who have done the car obs cant finish it to high enough level.

the problem is: the car needs one spot painting and a full polish, this is it, what going legal will do i have no idea, what dave will gain from it i dont know,

an independant engineers report will be the best starting point, as this will set out all the details with picutres,

the guy who did yours well hats off to him, must be one of the cleanest shops in the world not to need and machine polishing at all.

when we paint any car we always tell people it needs 5-8 weeks to fully cure, than to call back in 4 weeks for the final inspection and polish, you CANOT get the paint up to show room standard when it is still soft, it needs to be hard to get the septh and shine

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
the problem is: the car needs one spot painting and a full polish, this is it, what going legal will do i have no idea, what dave will gain from it i dont know,

i want the car upto a standard where i feel like i've got what i paid for - at present, i don't. workmanship is so, so poor (i've found more stuff that's just shocking) - that's what i'll be going after. i've had to pay already to fix a couple of their ****ups. it's not right to spend 2.5k and then spend more on what they should have done as part of the contract.

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby

bret, i mention the detailer as the people who have done the car obs cant finish it to high enough level.

an independant engineers report will be the best starting point, as this will set out all the details with picutres,

the guy who did yours well hats off to him, must be one of the cleanest shops in the world not to need and machine polishing at all.

when we paint any car we always tell people it needs 5-8 weeks to fully cure, than to call back in 4 weeks for the final inspection and polish, you CANOT get the paint up to show room standard when it is still soft, it needs to be hard to get the septh and shine

Im not going to pretend i know lots of this subject but common sense comes into this over knowledge. Its been painted once and there was obvious issues, Its gone back to be sorted and the issues are worse. How can you think to yourself, "well iv spent 2 1/2 grand on a respray (which is a figure I would expect a v good job) Its not great, il pay someone in 6 weeks to get it up to a standard." If one panel already needs re-painting its already defeated the original object of having the whole car painted. In which he didn't want to have patch work paint.

Now even if its normal for a car to come out of a paint shop after a full respray full of marks then the company should surely mention/ point them out at the start and then say, "Bring it back in 6 weeks once the paint has hardened and well fully machine polish it and there wont be a mark on it." Although imo I don't know how happy id be if this was the case with me. When i had a full side spray on a previous car i went to the top bodyshop in the area and when i inspected it there literally wasn't a swirl or mark on it. I don't know enough on painting and polishing to comment to much on the marks but its obvious for the money the job hasn't been completed to a high enough standard. There also appears to be a poor attitude from the company.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
i think you hit the nail on the head, it is the attitude of the company and the people he has delt with,

the second time round they have gone alot further into the job than the first ie all the door shuts have been done, which i turn means removal of doors etc.

also depending upon where a car is painted also depends upon the outcome of the work, a big insurance shop will tend not to polish if they can get away with it as they dont get paind for it, were as some one who does refinishing will machine polish the car.

he wont end up all colours from having the quarter repaired as the car is clear over base so they can localise the repair to the quarter, it is litterally 5p in size but a blowin would be inadequate on this area.

price wise, while £2.5k is a hell of alot of money, in the relms of repainting a car to the standard that is wanted its not alot, from physically looking at the car it does have a better(smoother) less orange peel finish which is better than oem, its a shame the company who have done the work wont take it back in to sort these last little niggles out,

from what i was shown in person 99% of it is fixable by a good machine polishing, the only negative being the quarter, but as the company who did it no longer want to touch the car he is stuck in between a rock and a hard place,

when we talk of being up to standard, standards are subjective - is the car sub standard in finish, no...as the car been done to daves standard- no, but has the car been done to the highest standard of the people who have done the job- quite possible, in which case it was daves choice to use these people and to research the quality of work turned out before entering into an agreement with them,

you have to remeber, no matter how good the people doing the job and the quality of products, you are never going to replicate the clinical factors of factory painting, even in the factory they will let some pieces of debris in paint go, its just when you get a new car its new, and you accept it, when its be refinished you wont and it has to be 110% if you look at any show car you can find fault if you look hard enough.

i wish mr dave all the luck in the world with his case

Last edited:

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire

If you have a proper spray booth with a decent extraction i spose thats what you get(outside the booth its tidy but i wouldnt say clean:lol:) but if your going to walk round with a magnifying glass looking at the door seals etc. then i'm sure you would find dust :lol:

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
thats why we keep ours sepearte, one side for paint one side for dust n dirt lol , as they say cleanleness is next to godly ness

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
haha, nope its a pita to keep clean, hate black cars, you cash wash it make it mint then drive down the road and its manky

even now 10yrs after it was made, if you were to write your name on a dust panel it would mark up, keeping paint in a half decent condition is hard, once they have been machine polished its not to hard, but you need to keep up on it, i use a good autoglym car shampoo, then a autoglym home made quick detialing spray, as for wax that gets done 3-4 times a yr haha, i bought poor boys glaze and its ok, but i dont like the fact you then need to cover it with something, im too lazy for all the different stages haha

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
haha, nope its a pita to keep clean, hate black cars, you cash wash it make it mint then drive down the road and its manky

even now 10yrs after it was made, if you were to write your name on a dust panel it would mark up, keeping paint in a half decent condition is hard, once they have been machine polished its not to hard, but you need to keep up on it, i use a good autoglym car shampoo, then a autoglym home made quick detialing spray, as for wax that gets done 3-4 times a yr haha, i bought poor boys glaze and its ok, but i dont like the fact you then need to cover it with something, im too lazy for all the different stages haha

:lol:I remember driving back from leeds when i picked mine up it was lovely and shiny 1hr later the back was covered in dust :censored: its so annoying.I may have to palm a little work your way then if your confident with your buffer ;) ??money included of course as i have polish pre wax cleanse wax clay shampoo etc. :)

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
We'd dealt with them before and had no real complaints so thought it'd be reet.
The problem with the best of their ability argument is that they clearly shouldn't be taking on that work if they're unable to finish it properly. I'll be taking it as far as possible as it looks terrible in the sunlight, and the MDs attitude to the situation was awful too. We gave them enough get-outs, they didn't take and want it to goto court - therefore that's where it'll go.

IMO they haven't completed the contract. Yes, the colour matches better than it did before although some of the grey tinge from the first screwup is visible. Yes, the lacquer's not peeling. However, as a bi-product that should increase, not decrease the quality of my paint (which has absolutely, 100% happened) - regardless of whether that's just a polish - it should be them that do it, like with the part that needs repainting, that needs redoing to fulfill what was asked for.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Right. As I'm still trying to make myself care for the car again since the paint was ruined, I've made a list of stuff that's really bugging me about the car and making me feel like I want rid. Hopefully getting it sorted will make me want to keep the car.

- The paint. It really looks ****ing horrible in the sun. I can't do anything with this until the issue is resolved. That will not be by dealing with them directly.
- The seals. All my seals are now falling off since Burns did the respray. They refuse to fix it so I've got to find someone else who will.
- Scratched-to-**** glass. I need a new passenger side front window since Burns ****ed it by using an orbital polisher on it.
- Overspray. Burns got overspray all over my wheel, inside the car and on various seals., it's visible on the rear quarter
- Electrical connectors hanging out. Burns did not reattach any of my door electrical connectors properly, they have since fallen out and now get covered in water
- Dribbles of paint on the rear quarter. Burns did not paint this correctly and needs redoing. They've refused to do so.

Now - None of those can be touched until some kind of solution is come to. They really piss me off and show how bad the workmanship displayed by Burns Ford Accident Repair Centre of Congleton is.
I'd advise not using them as I've already had to fix other issues that they refused to at personal cost.

Anyway... Stuff that can be fixed now:

- Aux water pump. Not cutting in when the engine is killed.
- Anti-roll bar/bushes. It's creaking like hell over the past few weeks, I'm pretty sure my bushes are ****ed so need new ones!
- Geo - kinda tied in with above
- Aircon. Doesn't work. Must be a leak - It was regassed a few months ago.
- Badges. Had my badges carbon wrapped - they're peeling, need sorting!
- Speakers. One of my rear speakers is farting a lot, needs replacing!
- Window switch. If I don't use the one touch down, pressing down on my drivers window switch will make it go up.
- Window ????. Often when I use one-touch up on my window, it gets to the top and although nothing is blocking the way, the anti trap kicks in.

Hopefully getting these issues sorted will make me like my car a bit again, not really had any enjoyment out of it since the respray was bodged.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members