Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Noticed a run on one of the doors too - something else that was done badly too ;)

Anyway.

Lighter news; I've got some stuff to fit.. Just a shame it isn't really that exciting..

aa6e28ff.jpg

- R32 front ARB
- Powerflex wishbone bushes
- Secondary water pump
- Handbrake cables

May do the water pump in a bit, but other than that I actually have no idea when the rest'll be done yet :)

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Sweet, pretty excited about it, the front of the car has felt a bit strange and I think the bushes just needed doing so refreshing it all isn't bad, going to refresh the droplinks as matter of course too.

Did the water pump today also, new one is much quieter but more importantly, always runs :)

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
if your not going legal bud, and dont want to g crazy paying for a full detail, hit me up and i will give you some hints and tips to getting it finished off correctly,

as for trims n stuff, this is why we tell people to replace them if they dont come off propperly, you'll get it there bud, with a final polish im sure you'll begin to love it again

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
if your not going legal bud, and dont want to g crazy paying for a full detail, hit me up and i will give you some hints and tips to getting it finished off correctly,

as for trims n stuff, this is why we tell people to replace them if they dont come off propperly, you'll get it there bud, with a final polish im sure you'll begin to love it again

I had them replaced on the first spray - think they were taken off and just stuck back on again the 2nd time round, not really any wonder lol.

Had to get the N/S foglamp cover off for the part number.. there's flaking paint there already :eek:

Im still to'ing and fro'ing with the credit card company atm. They want someone 'recognised' to review the car (no idea what that actually means though lol) -- there's 3 bits that need painting, bumper, one of the doors that has a big run and the rear quarter that has a big run...

I did spend around half an hour polishing a tiny bit of the front wing to check the matted bits of lacquer come off - they do.. So as far as I'm concerned, respray those 3 bits, sort the seals that're now falling off, replace the trim, and polish like hell, she'll be fine, and yea I'll enjoy it a lot when those are done :)

Hopefully it'll all be sorted in time for summer, need her looking her best :D

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
have a look at hindle and co, we have known dave and damien there for a long time, they are independat insurance approved engineers who are not super expensive, dave has his head screwed on also

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Front ARB was fitted at the weekend, although I've not been able to drive it yet, the tracking got mega knocked out, I was called to London today, so it's been at Awesome GTi, but it doesn't sound like they've had much luck as the ESP light keeps firing on now :s

Dad's brought back a diesel Golf though, so still won't be rockin' the Leon..

Dunno how people go months without their car, only been since Sunday and I'm hating it!! Doesn't look like I'll be getting the paint assessment done this week now tho =[

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Ya, it's a toughie :lol:
They want Jim to have a look at it tomorrow as we're all stumped, can't work out what's up with her =[

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
If you're needing alignment done the only good way to do it is on a proper Hunter laser alignment rig. You can find places local to you that have them at http://www.alignmycar.co.uk. I had mine done at a local place to me last week, tracking, toe and caster all sorted, steering wheel straight and a nice little bit of negative camber to sharpen turn in :) I had front ARB done a couple of months ago and altho I never got the ESP light on it felt a bit skittish on cornering.

I have the R32 front ARB fitted too and tbh without a rear ARB it's a pretty subtle difference - the front just feels a bit more neutral turning in and holding a line at speed, like the car isn't fighting against the traction any more. Like EL says tho, if you already have a rear ARB you'll probably notice a bigger difference getting the front upgraded afterwards.

BTW, nice car, often looked at this thread but never posted til now :)

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Hey, thanks for the reply! It's currently in at Awesome for the full geo to be done, it's just that the ESP light keeps being knocked on, although what's actually causing it is baffling us all slightly.

Had the rear ARB for a while now which I love/noticed a lot, the front never felt quite as stable as the rear anyway (think this was down to my bushes tbf!)

Really looking forward to being able to give it a fisting, but that won't be today as I'm back in London, again!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
ESP light can also be caused by faulty MAF - if you unplug it and start the engine it'll come on, long shot but it could be that?

Will be interested to hear if you feel upping the front ARB after having a rear one fitted makes much difference - as I said I thought just upgrading the front ARB would make a bigger difference than it actually did. Fingers crossed you get it back quickly, it's crap being without your car!

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
I've got it back now :) Top marks to Awesome (Al in particular this time for taking my car home so I could get it back after hours!!)

The new tyres wouldn't go on the rear!? Ended up with the new ones on the front which isn't really ideal, will check the pressures and stuff and maybe try again.. Although I'm not sure exactly what the fault was.

One of the jacking point covers fell off on road test so needs respraying, too.. For the size of it I suspect a spray can would be OK, will try it first, not a lot if it screws up!

The fARB does make a noticeable difference, though it's slight (and some of my experience could well be the bushes too) - just feels like it dips less on turn, and certainly takes longer to lose grip, feels a lot more predictable when it starts to do so as well.

All in all pretty happy, although the flaws on the outside need to be fixed!!

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
hi dave, been along time since ive been on here thought id catch up on ur thread, i feel for u mate sounds like youve had alot of trouble with the paint side of things. You should of brought it to us for the job sound like a mess in places for the money you have paid. anyway good luck with getting it straight again

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
MOT was a month overdue (I thought it was this month and haven't been driving in the mean time) and was sorted today -- passed fine with the decat on anyway (!! not even another car required)

It failed initially on the HIDs/sidelights which is mega annoying seeing as how they were prepared to run the emissions through another car .. Got that to sort back out again when I get home.

Nothing back from the credit card on the paint yet, the report was submitted to them a week last friday..

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Had my offer through from the credit card - £1260 coming back to me, so now I can officially say

PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE - DO NOT DEAL WITH BURNS' ACCIDENT REPAIR IN CONGLETON.

Their customer service is nonexistant, they do not wish to rectify obvious faults, and reuse single-use parts if they get pushed into re-doing some of their shoddy work.

You have been warned

Anyway. If anyone can recommend anywhere to get what was described to me by the assessor as the 'cant rails' (the rubber seal around the top of the door frame that runs from front to back) sorted to a standard whereby my car doesn't fill with water each time it rains because they're hanging off - please let me know.