New Cupra R or 2nd Hand Focus RS

FR_Flavoured

TBF, if you want a "performance car" you'd buy it to be exciting. Not just for performance, but looks as well. If you don't look back at the car, when you've been out and still think WOW. Then it's missing the point.
Ford, know how to make a car that ticks the right boxes. Interior wise the RS looks a nice place, but also has little touches like the guage binacle on the dash, so you don't have to go for after market pods.

The interior is the biggest let down for the mk2, the colour for the dash is awful. It makes the plastics look cheap and dated. Which is a shame, as the rest of the car is great.

Plus as highligted above, the RS has all the nice touches of a Rally inspired car too.
The proper bucket seats, guages you mention on the dash, styling, all part of the involved drive of owning such a car - I do also see what draws people to it.

I dont hate the car, plus I'm sure I'd be blown away if someone took me for a drive in one (from a performance perspective) its just the stigma attached to it that I refer to. Plus I'd personally prefer a car with more luxury (like the Jap / BM / Honda etc).

warren_cox

Back from the dead
since when has honda had much luxury than a ford? compare an RS agaisnt a type r and i wouldnt say the Type r is any better.

I'm inclined to agree I sat in a Honda CR-V the other day and the interior was cack. I respect Honda's reliability, but I've never seen them as a prestige brand. The Ford may be a bit lairy, but at least it has some character. Most other new hyper hatches as dull as sh1t for the money.

OldNick

Apr 13, 2005
I love my motor it's quick enough and turns heads. I think RS looks to Chav but I suppose that's age kicking in!

Hey Ben

Are you the Cupra R I see around Pontprennau some days?
Im the white K1 with black wheels and personalised plate. Ill give you a wave next time I see you!

Nik

Ben huxtable

Apr 26, 2011
Cardiff
Yeah mate that's me I work at Cardiff audi. Always at Cardiff gate, think I know your motor. See 2 on way to work both White with black wheels k1 kits. Mine is cupra r the BEN on reg gives it away a bit!

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
TBF, if you want a "performance car" you'd buy it to be exciting. Not just for performance, but looks as well. If you don't look back at the car, when you've been out and still think WOW. Then it's missing the point.
Ford, know how to make a car that ticks the right boxes. Interior wise the RS looks a nice place, but also has little touches like the guage binacle on the dash, so you don't have to go for after market pods.

The interior is the biggest let down for the mk2, the colour for the dash is awful. It makes the plastics look cheap and dated. Which is a shame, as the rest of the car is great.

very true, the mk2 interior isn't great but i'm looking at a candy white k1 in the next few months. nothing else grabs me like the k1 does, i've looked at other options including non vag and i still come back to it as the car i want due to the performance and its still an everyday useable car as well

the rs is no doubt a better drivers car there is no getting away from it, but straight line a modded cupra will beat or at least give the rs a run for its money if you want to but it depends on the level of the rs

Jan 31, 2011
ipswich/banbury
like peugeot recently the french companies are catching up on quality because theyve finally realised they cant sell on querks. The megane interior has been praised though still below golf quality(though i think the motoring press says that about every car) and the renaultsport range is starting to get quite a cult following and so the values are starting to hold a little better. Have to say the Megane rs250 is the only one id buy because the rest of the range were there are massive black rubbing strips etc look gash. The fact is they only do it so when they bring in a facelift all of a sudden there coloured coded and it makes the car look more modern. Its a trick the french companies have been doing for years, 206s. 306s,clios look at all the pre FL and FL models and all they ever change is the headlights and colour code the door handles and rubbing strips lol

warren_cox

Back from the dead
See in your sig warren (welcome back btw) that you have ordered a new S3... did you not think about an RS3? Or too much money?

Hi mate; good to be back albeit in smaller visits.

Bonkers money when specced up (£44k with the options we wanted - £14k more than the S3 with an 8% discount and same options). S3 was cheaper then Rocco and Golf R's too, so made no sense to stray.

As for RS3, I've never been particularly fond of the sportback. At least a hatchback has a 'hatch'; a sport back has a ....'sport'(?)! Sportback my arse, typical marketing bollocks; translated - I've girded my loins and I can still own a car with the word sport in the name e.g. I'm not confined to a Zafira 'white good' and beige cords just yet. Audi are obsessed by the word Sport. S-Line Sportback; FFS it's a shopping trolley with a turbo, just like the hatchback version is - delusional - how can the word sport mean so much to so many! /RANT!

Mar 13, 2010
Renualt warranty ? Nothing for French build!

French biuld quality has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, old french is poor but anything remoelty recent is good, the megane 250 is probably the best medium sized hatch for driving experience.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.