New Cupra R or 2nd Hand Focus RS

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
Just a get a BMW M3: luxury and super car performance tunable, bad side some people will stereo type u as an idiot but its a better reliable performace car than........ I'm not going to mention any names.

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Just a get a BMW M3: luxury and super car performance tunable, bad side some people will stereo type u as an idiot but its a better reliable performace car than........ I'm not going to mention any names.

I wouldnt go as far as 'supercar performance' but they are quick. Bloody expensive when they go wrong though. Many of the e46 models are starting to run up some astronomical bills.

I wouldnt stereotype BMW drivers as idiots, just lacking immagination and any sort of passion LOL!

Ben huxtable

Apr 26, 2011
Cardiff
Ok French cars can be stopped from passenger side! Hmmmmmm great, audi are left hand drive swopped to right and there no linkage there let me tell you price matters!

manhota

Apr 21, 2010
west mids wolves area
I wouldnt go as far as 'supercar performance' but they are quick. Bloody expensive when they go wrong though. Many of the e46 models are starting to run up some astronomical bills.

I wouldnt stereotype BMW drivers as idiots, just lacking immagination and any sort of passion LOL!

Lol I have to agree with your comments mate....

chris_200120vt

MR carbon fibre
Oct 4, 2008
YEADON, LEEDS
one of are drivers has a new focus rs if your not bothered about fuel get one he travels from sheffield to leeds cost £35 one way good thing we starts on a monday and goes home on friday , thought my ibiza was bad on fuel :cartman:

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
one of are drivers has a new focus rs if your not bothered about fuel get one he travels from sheffield to leeds cost £35 one way good thing we starts on a monday and goes home on friday , thought my ibiza was bad on fuel :cartman:

I thought the RS was bad on fuel untill I drove a k1!

Crazy, but true!

The accepted theory is that a bigger RS turbo is not on boost as much as the smaller K1 turbo when driving gently. Less boost in a bigger engine is generally more fuel efficient than more boost in a smaller engine (for day to day driving of course, not when blasting it!)

Sep 5, 2009
Midlands

Crazy, but true!

The accepted theory is that a bigger RS turbo is not on boost as much as the smaller K1 turbo when driving gently. Less boost in a bigger engine is generally more fuel efficient than more boost in a smaller engine (for day to day driving of course, not when blasting it!)

I'm getting around 26mpg, what's the RS getting?

Poverty

Crazy, but true!

:think:

Whats the FRS getting mpg wise on a normal drive. The K1 is pretty good on mpg...

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
I'm getting around 26mpg, what's the RS getting?

Over a month, about 27-29mpg. Thats mixed with commuting, abusing and school runs.

Lowest I ever saw was a bit over 25 when I first got it.

The best Ive had was around 37mpg over a 180 ish mile steady trip up north.

In contrast the K1 experiences similar driving and gets 24-25mpg over a month. The best ive achieved on a long run was 33mpg.

Bear in mind the K1 is 240 bhp and the RS nigh on 400.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
^^ I think K1's are better than that MPG wise. I don't own one but I've read enough threads on here to suggest your K1 there would be not running 100%.. They can better the MK1 LCR and I get 36/37mpg on a motorway run in my MK1.

I'm sure Brad on here has a photo of his touching 40mpg or something. RS won't be better than a 2.0 TFSi out the box on mpg.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Answer to the original question, I would have neither. I bought a Cupra and had the option of the RS, Cupra R and S3 as well as other cars in the approximate price range.

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
^^ I think K1's are better than that MPG wise. I don't own one but I've read enough threads on here to suggest your K1 there would be not running 100%.. They can better the MK1 LCR and I get 36/37mpg on a motorway run in my MK1.

I'm sure Brad on here has a photo of his touching 40mpg or something. RS won't be better than a 2.0 TFSi out the box on mpg.

I dont argue the fact mate. One of the deciding reasons for getting a K1 was the fact the manufacturers combined figure is suposed to be 34mpg or summit (compared to the RS's 29)

All im saying is that with my perticular driving style, on my perticular driving route, the same guy can get in two different cars and drive them in the same mannor and achieve a different MPG in both.

My findings are that the RS gives higher numbers, simple as that.

Seriously, folk must think im on here to slate the cupra and big-up the RS. Im honestly not. I do love my K1 because it does things the RS does not and was 12 grand cheaper.

On the other hand, im gonna give my honest opinion as you would expect when "cupra Vs Focus RS" threads pop up as they quite often do on here.

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I get 29mpg with the wind behind me at 60mph. Around town taking it easy I get 18mpg.

Two days in Germany at the Ring last year (only 3 laps on the ring, the rest on autobahn), my combined mpg was 15 for the 2 days (using 100RON Shell Optimax).

You almost have to give up any aspirations for mpg when you get these cars. They're much better than the predecessors of 20 years ago for cars that would have offered 300bhp (probably all single digit MPG's back in the early 90's for this level of performance).

Thank god for progress!

Poverty

You two guys must be doing something wrong with your 2.0tfsi's cause I get better MPG than that in my Titty Arse!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.