Aux In Alana Headunit

4oClock

Take the Long Road...
Nov 8, 2009
Sunny-ish Lincolnshire-ish
Just fitted my iPod connect box of tricks and its great. the volume is a little low (and the iPod has to be on max) but the quality is what i was after and thats top.
i fed the cable round the back of the HU and the climate control unit to the area behind the pop-up panel where there are 2 holes in a blank panel.... if that makes sense.
i'm thinking of doing a photo-guide when i can post links... but it's dead easy...

jame1410

im stuck and in need of help.... managed to get the cable working for about 5mins, before disturbing it and have never been able to get it to work since. Tried different earthing points, made sure the pin is sitting properly. Still nothing. Any ideas?

EDIT - no worries now have it fixed, wasn't connecting properly onto the pin of the HU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie1

I had no trouble what so ever installing the CD6 wire and getting it working on my 05 Ibiza with the alanea with a CD6 changer button. But my mate has a 2002 PD130 ibiza (an FR before they were called an FR) with a slightly different alanea, but it still has a CD6 button. Following the exact same process we cant get it to work.

Just out of interest has anyone not being able to get the CD6 wire to work on the HU?

Cheers

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
A second vote for Earthing Pin 14 not working on a CD6 Alana head unit. Car is 2005 Cupra Tdi.

I did get it working once so my inputs are right .. but there is obviously some sort of hand shake and timing involved in getting it to work from earthing pin 14. When it did work if you unearthed pin 14 it went to "no CDC" .. ie no CD in the changer.

Something I did notice was that the wiring diagram is wrong.. pin 17 is labelled "databus GND" but it sits at 12V .. like wise the other two data bus lines are basically at earth.. (about 40mV) so pulling them to earth is not really doing anything serious.. well I guess it must do something as it puts up the "no CDC" message.

Used the Blue mini-iso plug from ebay and the pins I identifed for the DIY cruise control fit it.. so I got it to charge Ipod too.. but you definitely need to use the chassis earth for Ipod charging and pin 14.

Another comment I found on the Spain Ibiza site is that you need to select changer and then earth.. and that if you remove the battery it forgets the setting so you have to redo it...

So not sure if the last of the CD6 Alana have reversed logic or something.. hum some digging required.:(

110bhp

Has anyone got a pic of what these cables look like. All the links in this thread are too old to come up on ebay.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen

110bhp

2011 update for anyone else wishing to do this mod. Cost me £2.60!!! Bargain mod!

Ebay No: 260490716773

1st off pop out the storage tray under headunit, then remove headunit with a cut up credit card.

I took a few pics of the wire mod i did for anyone else still wanting to do this (PIN 14 of ISO)...

Parts needed ; M5 Nut, M5 crimp terminal, 15cm of wire, washers, ISO connector crimp (i made one out of another connector i found)

I made the wire up then ran an aux socket into the storage tray and glued.(may relocate this soon)

Hope that helps,[B)]

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rory21388

Feb 11, 2011
Scotland
sorry to did up an old one but..

I got this lead, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/****-SMART-CA...hash=item370004081459&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

plugged it in and pressed the cd6 button but changer flashes then goes off and the radio goes back to the cd/radio.

its in an 05 car and its an Alana mp3 so what's the deal? :)

You need to earth the cable. I bought this last week and had exactly the same problem. You need to run a wire from pin 14 and connect it to the back of the head unit at some place. Some people wrap it round the bumper screw underneath the rubber stopper. That didnt work for mine so I taped it to the back of the unit.

JB-199

Hi all, i did the ipod connector to aux lead mod today, also earthed pin 14, it was all working fine for a few minutes, then i noticed a burning smell :cry: and where the earth was connected to the headunit cage had got really hot! The radio then banged and the display went wierd, so I put it back to standard and all seems to be fine now:blink:

Does anyone more knowledgeable about electrics know why this is, I suspect my dodgey wiring has something to do with it, I only had a piece of wire stripped at both ends and squeezed between the connects2 boxand pin 14, and taped to the HU cage :redface: Could this cause the burning smell?

My cars a 2002 sport, with the alana HU and cd6 button.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
it could be that you earthed it to the stereo cage, and that the stereo cage might not be earthed aswell as it needs to be connected to the chassis in some way for it to go back to the battery, if i was you id have a look in the back and find a more suitable earthing point, the burning smell could have been the start of melting componants, which u dont want to happen.

Degenatron

Re: burning

I also got the overheating and a bassy popping sound through the speakers? this was when wired to the threaded stud on the back as everyone suggests and using a reasonably thick wire.
To solve it I replaced it with a much much thinner wire, as thin as you can find. I think the wire gauge was about 0.2mm? worked fine and has done for about a month or so ;) Probably better than earthing to the chassis with loads of wire going on in the back carrying loads of current back to the battery! high current causes the overheating? :s

JB-199

I think that must be the problem, I noticed in the photo of the working set up the wire is really thin, whereas I used an earth cable from a mains plug :redface: ill give it a try with some thinner wire...

Syy

Jan 17, 2011
I have the alana with teh AUX button not the CD6 button. Does anybody know which cable i need ? :confused:

ive been unable to find a definitive answer ? from what ive seen i shouldn't need to earth as its a different head unit. :blink:

Syy

Jan 17, 2011
So you have the Aux input down by the handbrake and an AUX button on the head unit itself?
If so you will need this lead -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2M-3-5mm-Au...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3f0bb710fa

Plug one end into the car and the other into you mp3 player/phone/ipod. Then if you press the AUX button it should be good to go.

Not quite bud, I have the alana wire te aux button, but I don't have te aux input next to the handbrake ? So I need a cable to go from th back of the headunit but I don't know which one ? Any ideas ??? :)

rory21388

Feb 11, 2011
Scotland
Strange, i thought the alanas with aux had the input by the handbrake. the only thing i can think is possibly your headunit isnt the original which would explain the lack of aux input. have a look in your manual to see if there is anything in there. you able to put up a pic of your head unit?

Syy

Jan 17, 2011
Strange, i thought the alanas with aux had the input by the handbrake. the only thing i can think is possibly your headunit isnt the original which would explain the lack of aux input. have a look in your manual to see if there is anything in there. you able to put up a pic of your head unit?

Yeah so did i mate , ive heard its a bit of pot luck as to what equipment you get from seat. Mine is a 56 plate so i think the AUX button alana was standard for that year im not sure.

Ill post some pics up when im home a bit later, just sat in the beer garden at the mo ! :D

Syy

Jan 17, 2011
Soz for the delay, heres a pic of the unit i have...

As you can see its an Alana MP3 model with the AUX button but i DO NOT have an AUX input by the handbrake ??

Any ideas which cable i should be going for ???

IMG_0433-1.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.