Potential engine transplants

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Mentioned in Ibizaracebrakes car why he never considered an engine transplant instead of making his engine stronger, and it got me thinking.....

My car is 100% fine but like JCBoc and others on here running maps, im always thinking an engine failure is just around the corner which kinda detracts from the enjoyment. Maybe an Engine transplant could provide that good power gain but with reliability.

What possibilities would we have:

TFSI I know the k03 and k04 TFSI engines an be had for less than £1000, so you could easily be looking at 260hp/300hp with a basic stage 2 remap and exhaust depending on which engine you went for.
1.8T Bam engines can be had for the same amount or less and are good for 270hp.
V6 Maybe even an R32/R36 if it would fit in there.

Was thinking what would be required.

Engine mounts. Commonly they are very often pretty much in the right place so minor alterations required

Exhaust Definite custom exhaust territory as the exhaust on the other engines are at the lower back by the driver, whereas the 1.4TSI has it right at the front.

Intercooler Defintely custom pipework required, and more than likely a larger cooler although they run lower boost,so who knows.

IntakeAn engine change would be tight anyway, so an uprated intake would be an issue, although the TFSI intake is incorporated into the engine cover which could work as the slam panel inlet is in the same place.

ECUNo idea tbh, but they do these conversions for mk1/2/3 golfs etc so there mut be a potential route to head down.

Space Potentially an issue here as the engine bay is pretty tight, who knows.

DSG7 This is where i could forsee an issue arising. Not sure if the connection is the same for the manual 6spd to the DSG 7 spd and is it located in the correct place etc. Also could it take the extra power?

BUT the 1.8TFSI engine can be purchased with the DSG7 so maybe it could fit.....

thoughts people?

Tsi_Cupra

Jul 25, 2011
Chorley, Lancashire
No not really because who would want a brand new car with a blown egine? The engine for one of these isn't gna be cheap and ur gunna loose over half of wat u bought it for by sellin it blown, cheaper to put another engibe in etc..my opinion anyway haha :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'd buy the low end car if I wanted a conversion in a few years time I think when they're cheap

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
The whole reason I got the boc was for the 1.4TSi and DSG. No other petrol as fast or as good on fuel IMO.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
2.0 TFSI and 'box would fit just fine.... Remember the 2.0TDI sits in the Ibiza FR just fine (with room to spare)

Fair point,

The whole reason I got the boc was for the 1.4TSi and DSG. No other petrol as fast or as good on fuel IMO.

I was marginally beating a stage 2+ GTI at inters by less than 0.1 second repeatadly, so with that engine in a car weighing 250kg less would muller me. Especially as once rolling he's ALOT quicker.

So in our car there are lots of engines that would be quicker if they were fitted, as its more power but same weight with same dsg

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Yeah but any other engine would not be as good on fuel which is my point. Its the combo of speed and mpg which had me sold. Obviously there are many faster cars but not many faster which will do 50mpg.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
My octavia with 280hp managed around 10mpg less in every scenario of driving compared to my fabia does now but it weighed 1500kg. The fabia is over 300kg less, so id betthat 10mpg difference would be all but negated

They aren't as good on fuel because the cars are much heavier, lighter cars require less fuel/effort

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Nah the mk4 cupra's with the 1.8 20vt's were never that great on fuel. Is the newer 2.0ltr better. I think a lot of the speed gains (down the quarter) are down the the nifty 7 speed DSG.

Ether way if your not looking for economy an engine transplant wouldn't be a bad idea on an out of warrenty blown engine.

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I know the Lupo/Arosa has already had a transplant using the new 2.0TFSI engine. I've seen one with a W12 engine (in the back obviously). Seen both of them online so it'd fit in the Mk5. I'm thinking of doing summat along these lines but not decided on a project as yet. Saying that i change my mind so much it'll be summat different next month lol

aka

Jul 31, 2010

Indeed.

Also supercharged and turbocharged, not many cars out there with this feature.

Deleted member 49882

Not many cars with engines disintegrating like this either, apart from the vxr that is

Would be interesting to run a poll as to how many engines have actually disintegrated. I know a few people have had different issues (myself included) ... but how many have had completely new engines (particularly non-modified) ?

There is arguably not a single car manufacturer who has 100% reliability ...

Having said that, I have a niggling thought / concern of confidence which appears every now and again in the back of my mind when driving my car.

Dabbalz

Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
The Japs still top the list for reliability though. I thought it was good of Toyota, due to having to change the accelerator pedal on a number of models, gave owners a £25 voucher for the inconvenience of bringing our cars in and having to have a courtesy car for just one day. Shame they didn't still do the Auris 2.2DCAT SR180 or we'd of gone back to Toyota.

Deleted member 49882

I am definitely considering Toyota as a next car ... just one of a selection I have my eye on. Waiting for specs and price confirmation of a particular model to determine affordability...otherwise it will probably be another Boc / Cupra purely because of the point Mardon made.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
The 1.4TSI engine in the Cupra/VRS/GTI is relatively heavy for a 1.4, due mainly to the supercharger and associated piping necessary to make it work.

So,

A 2.0TFSI engine from an S3/ED30 shouldn't make too much difference to the dynamics of the car.

Where the 1.4 scores is the ability to have the low down grunt from the supercharger, whereas the 2.0TFSI doesn't, also the K04 has a huge amount of midrange grunt that I feel would overwhelm the balance and traction of the car. Probably the best suited engine in my mind would be the 2.0TSi engine from the current MKVI Golf GTI. Reasonably lightweight, good economy, mated to a 6 speed DSG with launch control and a straight 270-280bhp with just a remap and minor hardware. Any more power than this and you'd be wasting it as traction would become an issue.

I believe that the sweet spot for the Cupra/VRS/GTI is around the 250bhp mark and the current set-up with the 1.4TSI engine should be capable of withstanding that amount of power reliably. It is just a case of how much you want to spend.

I also believe that to get this car to a safe, reliable 250bhp you will need internals and injectors as well as the necessary add-on hardware, but I still think this would be a better route than an engine transplant and probably just as cheap.

Remember...

Fast and cheap ain't reliable, reliable and cheap ain't fast and fast and reliable ain't cheap;)

Tsi_Cupra

Jul 25, 2011
Chorley, Lancashire
Hmm i want to get mine to the 250bhp point, its just knowin the stuff i suppose which i dont not for these cars anyway!! whole new world to me if i must say, u mean internals like forged pistons and stuff like that? and does anyone know if the injectors off a 2.0tfsi would fit on the cupra/boc? one question tho, if i got the twintercooler would i be able to up my boost of the turbo ..? cheers

yea_good_1

LOVIN THE BOC
Sep 24, 2010
Would love to have a 2.0 tfsi in mine and have a lot of power without straining the engine too much but it is looking expensive at the mo i don't want to get rid of my car because it looks so good but the reliability is a bit worrying might do some digging maybe

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.