LEDs in storage compartment in dashboard

mcdonald

Recently I added two red LEDs to the small storage compartment in the dashboard.
The power (12V) comes from the LED inside the ESP switch (brown and blue-grey wire). This way the 2 LEDs will go on when the sidelights or headlights are switched on.

exeo_led007.jpg

What parts are needed:
2x 3mm LED red 12V (Conrad, artnr. 182456)
1x BEC-socket (Conrad, artnr. 208438)
1x BEC-plugs (Conrad, artnr. 208437)

After removing the storage compartment the cover on the back has to be removed.
Here we have to drill three 3mm holes; 2 for the LEDs and 1 for wiring.
The 2 holes for the LEDs shouldn't be too low otherwise the compartment lid won't open/close anymore. When too high the cover can't be placed back.
The hole for the wire shouldn't be too low either otherwise the wire can get stuck.

12V and GND can be obtained from the ESP switch wires. The blue-grey wire is the 12V and the brown wire is the ground.

I used BEC connectors so everthing can be unplugged if necessary, or when we need the 12V for other things.

Pictures:

exeo_led001.jpg

exeo_led002.jpg

exeo_led003.jpg

exeo_led004.jpg

exeo_led005.jpg

exeo_led007.jpg

Last edited:

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I wonder if the same wires can be used to drive a relay for switching off DRL has side lights go on or do you think the CAN BUS sytem will pick up the extra load ??

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Only the coil resistance might be causing a problem for the canbus system, but I am not sure about this.
Further you need a protection diode parallel to the coil of the relay, see picture, otherwise the ECU might get damaged.

diopro.gif
Thats a good point!! dam CAN BUS more problems than its worth [ hear that MBenz are reviewing ALL their CAN BUS designs due to poor reliablity/liability in the field, wonder how long before VAG Grp. do the same??]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise