clutch and flywheel upgrade on LC/LCR

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
hi can i have your opinion or experience regarding this please.

i think i maybe getting a new flywheel, as i see it, i only have 2 options there, either go for a singlemass flywheel and get some noise from the gearbox.
or getting a OEM seat dualmass flywheel.

i dont like the idea of ​​having sounds from the gearbox so think the singlemass is a no go for me then, and the OEM seat dual mass flywheel is the one for me.

and then i need a clutch, not sure on this either, i have thought of maybe getting the Sachs Performance Clutch kit (see link), any one here who have tried the Sachs Performance Clutch kit?

Sachs Performance Clutch kit - SRE Performance Clutch Kit

the kit is: SRE clutch cover + SRE Performance clutch disc at a special rate. Transmittable torque 520+Nm

i dont know any one who have tried it, but i read some about south bend clutches, any one of you know anythink about those?

also, any of you know where to get this for a decent price?

all advice and experience are welcome.

Last edited:

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
can it be right? no one here have any experience with clutch and/or flywheel upgrade on LC or LCR?

or is it just the sachs clutch kit no one here knows anything about?

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Hi mate, i've recently changed my clutch / DMF on my LC

Seriously, after so much threads, research and conversation, if your not running serious power, i.e 250+ on a LC or 280+ on a LCR, then a 'performance' clutch / DMF is NOT NEEDED

I ended up buying a OE LUK Clutch and DMF from GSF

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
Hi mate, i've recently changed my clutch / DMF on my LC

Seriously, after so much threads, research and conversation, if your not running serious power, i.e 250+ on a LC or 280+ on a LCR, then a 'performance' clutch / DMF is NOT NEEDED

I ended up buying a OE LUK Clutch and DMF from GSF

i know what you mean, but im not going to replace my clutch/flywheel now and again later when i do k03 hybrid+ (badger bills hybrid+ turbo 300+bhp) or gt2860rs turbo, that would be silly, would it not?

do it right the first time, if you know what I mean ;)

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
Fair play Allan, if your defo aiming for big power then yes a SMF and performance clutch is your best option.

Have a looka round, a few lads are buying the set-up from the states, now that the $ is so weak, its actually cheaper to buy a SMF and performance clutch from US inc. shipping then it is to buy one from this robbing country.

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
Fair play Allan, if your defo aiming for big power then yes a SMF and performance clutch is your best option.

Have a looka round, a few lads are buying the set-up from the states, now that the $ is so weak, its actually cheaper to buy a SMF and performance clutch from US inc. shipping then it is to buy one from this robbing country.

yes thanks for the tip mate, but im not sure i like the option with SMF, as they are known to make sounds in the gearbox (only if you have 6speed gearbox).

but i will look into buying it from the US.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
I would look at what power you INTEND to run in the future, if you are going for big power (sounds like it with the 28RS up there ;) ) then you might as well go for the SMF setups.

Its not the power that will kill a clutch but the torque - depending on the map the torque from a hybrid ko3/ko4 setup will kill a stock clutch lol.

MOROalTT

Mar 19, 2011
USA
Clutch flywheel

I AM A SOUTH BEND CLUTCH PERSON

GETTING A FAT ASS............ :)

6091962912_c05e6d042b_b.jpg

[B)]

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
i cant decide what to get.

i have a feeling that maybe the south bend stage 3 daily, but i think i want to use a seat dualmass flywheel instead of some single mass flywheel, not sure that is possible with the south bend?

the reason why i want the dual mass flywheel is i dont like it if the gearbox is making sounds/chatter like some say it will if i fit a single mass flywheel.

all comments are welcome.

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Dual mass are a load of **** they are prone to breaking , if you never planning going any more power than you are just get a standard set up if you want to go bt or plan to go over 300ftlb get a smf and uprated clutch , they just won't last or be able to take the abuse , the noise isn't that bad any way And If any one asks why it's rattling just say " it's a man clutch"

Simples

bendohhh

Nov 11, 2010
Stockton
Dual mass are a load of **** they are prone to breaking , if you never planning going any more power than you are just get a standard set up if you want to go bt or plan to go over 300ftlb get a smf and uprated clutch , they just won't last or be able to take the abuse , the noise isn't that bad any way And If any one asks why it's rattling just say " it's a man clutch"

Simples

Loving this explanation, I'll definitely be uprating to a man clutch when I replace mine.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I AM A SOUTH BEND CLUTCH PERSON

GETTING A FAT ASS............ :)

6091962912_c05e6d042b_b.jpg

[B)]

I hear good things about the south bend clutches, we'd probably be raped with import tax though, might try and get one in to the suitcase the next time I'm in the US.

Alan I agree I'm totally put off the smf because of the noise, pity really I'd say there good.

Last edited:

MOROalTT

Mar 19, 2011
USA
I hear good things about the south bend clutches, we'd probably be raped with import tax though, might try and get one in to the suitcase the next time I'm in the US.

Alan I agree I'm totally put off the smf because of the noise, pity really I'd say there good.

I can not say how much they would declare for you. but email me and I can find out

[email protected]

L8R...... [B)]

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark

Simples

i dont like sounds from my engine/gearbox, im afraid it would drive me crazy.
but maybe your right, SMF is the only way to go. and i like your attitude towards it "it's a man clutch" :D

some dude of a US forum tells me i just have to get a heavy singlemassflywheel (like normal DMF weight) as that would dampen the chatter, but not sure about it.

anybody here running LC or LCR with single mass flywheel? and can tell more about now much sound/chatter you got and other experience?

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
okay now i know that the south bend clutch can be ordered to fit either solid flywheel or stock dualmass flywheel, it just have to specified when it are ordered.

i think i will be getting a new stock dual mass flywheel, so i dont need a flywheel with the clutch.

found a nice price for the flywheel LUK Dual Mass Flywheel from euro car parts and they have a real nice promo code with 15/25% off the price.

but i cant decide whether it should be a stage 2 daily or a stage 3 daily clutch.
i think at the end i will max be ending with around 450-475nm (330-350lbs/ft) so i think the stage 2 will be fine, but im nut sure if should get the stage 3, just so the clutch is not on the edge of what it can cope with and to be sure it will last. as you know: do it right the first time.

can i get your opinion or advice on this?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I would say go for the stage 3 as if you do go for a hybrid they can give out big torque spikes
As you said best to play it safe and be rated over what it can produce

Nov 7, 2009
I have a southbend smf which is 14lb (5lb less than the standard dmf) and ther is no noise. If i dip my cluch a few times and listen hard then i can hear it, but other than that i cant notice amy noise

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.