Clunk! Suspension Questions..

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
For a while now, I've been hearing a loud knock when going over bumps and holes.
The sound is a clunking noise and seems to be more prominent when going over pot holes and cracks than over speedbumps ect..

From looking I cannot see any problems other than the shocker covering boots being slightly work and one where the rubber shrowd has broken. - they seem to perform well when i push on the rear of the car.

I have a feeling it may be worn bushes but am unsure of where to look or which ones may have deteriorated.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be the problem?
Any help - indications of where how to check and or pictures/videos would be greatly recived.
Thanks in advance :help:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't worry about the shock boots, I don't have any on mine and it's been fine.

I have a similar knocking, most definitely metal on metal, and it sounds the same in that it needs quite a sharp jolt rather than a speed bump. Rumble strips and cobble stones are the worst, it sounds like the car is falling to bits!!

Unfortunately I have replaced most bushes, and gone through 2 MOT's and it's still there!! My next job will be to replace the ARB drop links, and the steering rack bushes. But I have sort of resigned myself to having the knock for the lifetime of the car. A garage couldn't find the issue, although even driving it on to their ramps generated at least one clunk.

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
That dosent sound too good mate. Hopefully the Drop links will solve the issue, I dont belive in an unfixable problem.

Do you have a creak when you get into the car sometimes lately i've noticed one when i get into the car..?

Thanks for the reply

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It's not an unfixable problem, as I don't regard it as being a problem! ;) You'll find other threads on here, some get it fixed after changing a pair of bushes, some still have it after seemingly replacing half their suspension!! Droplinks do seem to be the most common solution.

Creaks are one of two things, either the handbrake slightly slipping on the rear disc as the suspension compresses, or the seat mounting itself. My passenger seat is slightly creaky, I do know that's fixable but I haven't had time to sort it.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
I had the same thing earlier this year, replacing the rear bushes, front wishbones reduced the knock, but the final step was the D bushes for the front ARB, only £12 each IIRC from ebay.

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
Hi Krisby,
Which rear bushes did you replace?
Did you replace the whole front wishbones?

I can imagine the front ARB bushes are quite easy to replace?

Many thanks.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
There's only one pair of rear bushes, they fix the rear beam to the chassis. I've had a look at the front ARB bushes, they are reasonably accessible from inside the wheel arches without too much trouble, but mine looked a bit corroded so I've not done them yet. Make sure the bushes are a split type, I believe you can get whole ones that are pushed on from the end and they sound like an absolute git to replace!

There also appears to be two sizes of ARB for the Toledo, so you might do well to measure first. It's either 21 or 23.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Hi Krisby,
Which rear bushes did you replace?
Did you replace the whole front wishbones?

I can imagine the front ARB bushes are quite easy to replace?

Many thanks.

Can't remember now, but my guy had to drop the rear axle.

Yes, whole front wishbones replaced, again, off Ebay for something like £70 delivered.

I think the fronts were easy, again, I paid someone, it wasn't much, an hours labour cash. Basically one garage had told me £800 to fit and replace various bushes, wishys etc front and rear on the car. I had a look on ebay and I think I got the whole lot for about 120 and 220 labour.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
There's only one pair of rear bushes, they fix the rear beam to the chassis. I've had a look at the front ARB bushes, they are reasonably accessible from inside the wheel arches without too much trouble, but mine looked a bit corroded so I've not done them yet. Make sure the bushes are a split type, I believe you can get whole ones that are pushed on from the end and they sound like an absolute git to replace!

There also appears to be two sizes of ARB for the Toledo, so you might do well to measure first. It's either 21 or 23.

Wasn't aware of a size difference, I just found some guy on ebay selling good quality ones in a kit, I just told him the year and model and he sorted for me.

Perhaps V5s and diesels are different?

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
I've just changed the ARB clamp bushes on my Octavia, £6 + VAT from skoda each, its made a hugh difference (I changed the rear wishbone bushes at the same time).

There's collars on the ARB that due to the elongated holes in the worn bush hit the subframe.

Wheels off, disconnect the ARB drop links (16mm spanner), 13mm socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet to get the clamp bolts out (use plenty of WD40 / duck oil or similar and if the bolts tighten whilst undoing them reverse the ratchet and retighten to clear the threads before undoing them again, take your time, and don't shear them).

Long nose mole grips help when getting the bolts back in the clamps.

HTH

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
You could use a strong good quality cable ties to help get the clamps around the bushes to make it easier to get the bolt back in (cut them off after) if you don't have mole grips suitable

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
can't believe no one as asked if the car is lowered ?

TBH if the OP can't be bothered giving all the facts then we shouldn't need to interrogate him for withheld info - how far do we have to go? ask for pics of the car just in case someones put a Toledo badge on the back of a Yugo?

Even knowing the car is lowered isn't much of a clue as some cars will go 60mm lower and drive-shafts don't collide with the ARB, others hit at 40mm due to production tolerances.

2 X ARB clamp bushes, 2 X wishbone rear bushes cost me £37 from Skoda, how much would an uprated ARB cost?

I'm not being arsey by the way:)

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
well dox thanks for your daily rant lol , i'm only joking i no what you mean but , if it was lowered just and arb will do fk cost 95 new , but i'm sure one ebay selling right now. if it isn't lowered i would book it in to checked before throwing money at it

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
well dox thanks for your daily rant lol , i'm only joking i no what you mean but , if it was lowered just and arb will do fk cost 95 new , but i'm sure one ebay selling right now. if it isn't lowered i would book it in to checked before throwing money at it

TBH even a garage would be guessing unless the bushes were completely gone, my wishbones looked ok, but one tap with a hammer and only the outer ring remained in the wishbones, the clamp bushes were shot, the ARB was floating around like a d!ck in a bucket.........

It could be top mounts, it could be dampers, bottom ball joints, track rods, track rod ends or steering rack.

What were the advisories on the last MOT? You can get them by going on DVLAs website and entering your reg number and V5 number

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
Thanks for the advice guys. I'd see going to a garage as throwihg money at it personally. I'm going to have a good look, poke and wiggle with a screwdriver tomorrow too see what i can deduce.
I can also say the my car is not lowered.
I'd rather sort out any clunking before i go anywhere like that.

Any bushes I change are going to improve the car's handling as its a bit barge like on the corners.
Cheers

Last edited:

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Also check the springs haven't broken a coil off near the the top or bottom - look for a jagged edge at the end of the spring.

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
Thanks Dox,
I've just had a look and it looks to me like the wishbone rear bushed have gone!
And I mean gone! one has only one side of rubber visible and a small slither protruding and the other is all floppyand degraded.
Has anyone done a replacement removal guide?
If not should I put one together?
Ta.

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
Thank you all for the above info. The replaced rear wishbone bushes made such a difference to the handling!
Last year i changed the ARB bushes and have noticed a creak that has gotten worse since then.. Could the bushes/fitting be at fault here?

Last year I had two advisories on my MOT which were front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated (but not resulting in excessive movement).
Does anyone know which bush this is? I'm guessing that its one of the ones on the wishbone, but is it the cylindrical one or the the larger flatter, hockey-puck one?

If i was to change these is there anything else worth changing at the same time?

Car is a yr2000 tdi. as standard.
Ta

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.