Door lock microswitch Guide

tucker999

from what i saw when i did mine, the microswitch that senses the open and closed door is clipped to the outside of the lock module (if same as leon). so you do not need to dismantle the rest of the unit. just take out the lock and unit and there should be 2 wires coming from inside the unit to the this failed switch. hope this helps

Deekster

Just back in the world of Seat having bought a wee ibiza cupra and this is exactly what i need. Shame you didnt get more pics will look at doing the job this week.

If anyone else does it and has pics pop them up.

Deekster

I see where it is now im going to take mine apart the next couple of days and see how it can be repaired. Im shocked that its a known issue across the VAG range and they dont provide the microswitch rather than buy a whole new unit.

fordy

Any part numbers so I can get this sorted without too much fuss?

thanks

David

fordy

ok after MUCH trawling on google, here is the part number

3B2 837 015

its about £100 retail.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I used this guide today for removing my door skin and it seems there is a difference between facelift and pre facelift. The facelift had plastic pins of some sort on the lock side of the door which make it a pain in the arse to get the skin off easily. Just to make those with facelifts aware before you go and did what i did - break one of the pins :doh:

tucker999

i think if you disconnect and unscrew all the lock mechanism, then the panel comes off with the lock still attached to it using the plastic bits you mentioned

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
i think if you disconnect and unscrew all the lock mechanism, then the panel comes off with the lock still attached to it using the plastic bits you mentioned

ah right thanks for that, it was'nt mentioned in the guide. I don't think they make any difference to the operation of the locking system anyway?

tucker999

yeah i agree, to be honest i didnt even put the black prongs back in the lock on my drivers door. but never had any issues or rattling.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I want to have a go at replacing the door lock on my pre-facelift FR TDi when the weather gets a little warmer. The only thing that bothers me is the seal on the metal door panel. Can someone who has had the panel off tell me what the seal is like? Is it rubber, foam or mastic and is it likely to be damaged when removing the panel? My doors are still watertight after nearly eight years and I don't want to create a leak now.

Last edited:

tucker999

im no expert but when i changed mine on my leon it was a very small foam gasket. it was very thin and hadnt aged well. most people on here i noticed seal the panel back on with a little silicone (mainly the bottom half), which is what i did and had no problems. but i belive you can get various types of double sided foam which should also work, maybe even get some from a seat dealer. like i said though thats just my 2 pence worth im no expert

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks Tucker. The earlier Leons (including mine) used the thin foam gasket which you described but it caused lots of leaking problems when it aged. I think they replaced it with a mastic strip on later cars and this was the official fix when I had mine done. I don't know what type of seal they use on Ibizas but it seems to give fewer problems. Hence my concern not to mess things up.

Last edited:

Raziel

Oct 24, 2011
Is the lock replacement covered by the used car "Named Component" warranty? Just been to the stealers and they couldn't tell me if it is.

Apparently they will have to confirm with a 3rd party company which deals with the warranty cases (I find it strange SEAT not knowing what their own warranty covers!).

If it's not covered, I was quoted £250 for the replacement. Seems quite expensive to me...

tucker999

I paid around 140 for the new genuine lock and changed it myself on 03 leon

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I replaced the drivers door lock on my 3 door Ibiza this afternoon using a combination of this guide and my workshop manual. They are largely the same with a couple of minor differences.

The manual tells you to disconnect the battery before starting.

When the inner trim card has been removed they suggest that you remove the exterior handle and lock barrel.

If you remove the two Torx screws holding the lock, the lock module will come out attached to the carrier panel. I ran into a problem here as the largest Torx key in my set is T40. Unfortunately this is just too small for the screws and started to slip. I managed to get round it by gripping the screw heads with a mole grip and once they started to move I was able to use the T40 key. This was not ideal so I would recommend checking that you have a large enough key for the screws before you start. Probably T50?

When you have loosened the window clamp bolts the manual recommends lifting the window to the top and holding it there with the tape. This gives more room to remove the carrier panel, which is rather fiddly.

After you have changed the lock check that the spring is hooked over the lever, ensuring that it is in the correct position when the panel is replaced. This is obvious when you look at it.

I used masking tape to label all the connectors when I undid them, as there are quite a few to remember when they are all dangling there.

After I reconnected the battery I had to re-enter the radio code. This was a problem as the handbook with my Alana seems to be wrong. After you have entered the code it tells you to press and hold the 'Pty' key. Unfortunately this didn't work and I eventually discovered that you have to press and hold the 'Scan' key instead.

Also the one touch function of the windows worked to lower them but not to raise them. I sorted this out by locking the driver's door with the key and then locking it again and holding the key in the locked position for over a second. They work fine now.

The entire job took about four hours but I was being very careful and would be a lot quicker if I had to do it again. The courtesy light is working properly again now, as is the lights-on buzzer. Hopefully the doors should no longer re-lock themselves or set the alarm off. Well worth all the effort and expense.

Reactions: mjstokes85

Ed_Sutch

Oct 14, 2009
Bristol
Mega bump!

Okay, part number 3b2 837 015

Pretty sure it's the drivers side gone as interior light doesn't come on when open door, locking/ unlocking itself all the time.

Looking at replacements on eBay, does it have to be from a 3dr as its a 3dr car I presume?