Partially Blocking TDI Radiator

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before?

When the outside temperature drops to below 10 degrees, the tdi engines takes so long to warm up that I am considering blocking part of the radiator up. I even find that when I'm sat in traffic with the heater on, the engine temperature will drop. A partial blockage should speed up the engine reaching operating temperature and allow it to run at a slightly higher temperature.

:shrug:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Do you mean blocking airflow over the radiator?

I wouldn;t expect that to do anything at all tbh. The reason the car takes longer to heat up is down to the engines efficiency, not the radiators

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Its an old trick used to do exactly as implied - heat the engine quicker.

diesels as we all know have a poor heating exchange thus - cold heaters, none moving temp gauge, crap mpg etc

i cant see it doing any harm but have also never tried it myself, i have however seen the likes of "ice road truckers" partially cover their radiators to help the engine out.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Winter Grille's are available for Skoda's too

I was just looking to see if the Mk4 Ecomotive had sealed grilles like the Mk5 does

It doesn't.

ibiza20vt

Nov 2, 2011
Seen people usin tinfoil or cardboard as a temporary measure before and seems to work

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs or anything but...

Are you sure your thermostat isn't on it's way out?

Got two VAG TDIs on our driveway that both took ages to warm up... they've both had thermostat replacements in the last 6 months and both warm up within circa 6 miles nowadays. They used to warm up so much slower and would even cool down again on motorways.

SakuraUK

Coming from a petrol recently and never previously owning a diesel I was wondering why they took their time, unfortunately living on an island is pretty poor as by the time I've arrived at work the car has only just started warming up, it's only about a 5 mile drive. I just tend to stick an extra jumper on in the morning. Only problem is the windscreen fog.

Leon32

Nov 25, 2011
France
Not just diesels, I do it on my Capri in winter (not that it goes far in winter ;) ); For the Landrovers I cover about a third of the rad, when it gets cold, around freezing.

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
I could do a 30 mile trip to work last winter in by Ibiza Cupra TDI and the temp gauge would never go above the first 1/4 mark on the temp gauge. On was occasion it barely moved, however I did take a photo at the time showing outside temp of -11 tho :)

Might do some testing myself this winter. If citreon make grilles specially for this there must be something in it.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Even over 30 miles in -11C you should still have warmed up.

two years ago I had my clio up in Glasgow where it never got warmer than -10C for weeks, and my car was warm within a couple of miles.

I'd say you could fabricate something on the inside of the grille to block the airflow without looking too naff

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
Even over 30 miles in -11C you should still have warmed up.

two years ago I had my clio up in Glasgow where it never got warmer than -10C for weeks, and my car was warm within a couple of miles.

I'd say you could fabricate something on the inside of the grille to block the airflow without looking too naff

You'd think so. The scooby last year was fine and up to temp in about 3 minutes :)

Not too bothered on what it would look like. Due to working shifts I rarely see daylight these months so would not be seen. Also I live out in the sticks so not many people around :)

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I read that the new Focus has this feature. It automatically adjusts the grill depending on the outside temperature and speed the car is travelling

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.