Power Steering Warning Light - Help !!!

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Well, just spent an hour of my life searching and reading posts about the MK4 Ibiza and the power steering warning light.

Seems to be a common problem..

The light came on early this morning for the first time and the steering was really heavy (i.e not working).

I then shut the car off and looked up the light in the manual, and when I restarted it 2 minutes later it was fine. Now been OK all day. Bit of a worry though, as don't want steering problems while driving it.

Anyway, a few questions based on the searching and reading that I have done.

1) Apparently the battery has to come out along with the try underneath to get to the fluid filler cap. I have picked up VAG fluid. Anyone know if this is easy enough to do ?

2) Read lots about low voltage causing problems. Checked mine, 12v while not running, jumps to 14.2 when started (without blipping throttle). I guess this means charging OK (not the common broken wire problem) so not that ?

3) Read that to check the connections on the steering pump I will need to remove the fog light surround and peer in the hole. Anyone know how this is done ?

4) Also read about an angle sensor on the rack sometimes causing problems. Anyone know where it is and how to check it ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, there is lots written about the issues but I can't find any definitive answers to my questions.

Anything else I should know about ?

Cheer all, thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Last edited:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
cold morning and tired battery, mine's has been doing this for about six years(winters) now and still on the original battery(MY 03) so don't get too worried, if you wait a few seconds after the plug light goes out you will hear a click as the first stage cuts out --then start up and most times all will be well- acharge of the battery will help too

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
As above it will be the battery. Batteries loose some efficiency when they get cold and the electric power steering pump uses a lot of juice. Mine does it too when cold because the battery is getting old but if you up the revs to about 1500rpm for about 5 secs before moving off the alternator gets some charge into the battery and all is fine. If you are worried about it get your battery drop tested to check its condition and replace it if its bad.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
What Spanish design gezzer decided to put the power steering filler cap where it is, I want a word with him ;-)

It took an hour to strip out the battery, battery box and air cleaner in order to check the level. Not impressed !!

Anyway, level was fine, so guess it is not that..

Well, it has to be the battery then..

I did scan it on VagCom, and got the following from Controller 44 (Marked Steering Assist).

Address 44 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 6Q0 423 156 S
Component: LenkhilfeTRW V260
Coding: 10121
Shop #: WSC 06402
1 Fault Found:
01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
79-00 - Please Check Fault Codes

Does look like an error with the instrument cluster and not the power steering, so now I am confussed. I have cleared the fault and will monitor if it comes back again.

If it is due to battery voltage, as mine looks ok, I am concerned as I don't want problems while driving.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Well, my power steering warning light is coming on a lot more after starting the car now the weather is getting colder.

I went to my local motor factors to invest in a battery, and they put their gadget on it, run through the sequence on the screen (Lights, start, rear screen etc) and said the battery was good, although it would benifit from a charge. No point in spending 100 quid if it is OK !!!

Surely the warning light can't be normal, I know a few guy's on here said it is common but it can't be right ?

I just don't want it to let me down..

Cheers.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well maybe your daily run is not long enough, in winter weather, to recharge the battery fully. What you are seeing when the engine is running is the controlled charge voltage level that the alternator is feeding in to the battery, the voltage level just prior to a cold morning start will reveal more, but remember the differance in voltage from a fully (pre)charged battery after 12 hours of "no power applied" and that of a half (pre)charged battery after 12 hours of "no power applied" will not be very much at all. It will only be after a cell gets shorted internally that you will notice a big drop in voltage.

One way to prove any thing will be to get a smart charger and get the battery up to full charged state - though if your daily run is long enough then this will not cure anything, which means that that cash could go iinto a new decent battery.

On the subject of VAG-COM, I'm guessing that you are using the latest release of S/W, as I have VCDS and after updating it and using it, I seem to have had, for the first time, a message at indicates that a module is reporting that the instrument pod needs its DTC checked. As far as I know, the instrument pod is the "gateway" to all the smart modules, and its the instrument pod that switches on the fault indicator. If all that is true, then I'd hope that the power steering module did originally have a hard fault code logged, and that should stay logged until you clear it.

Last edited:

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
I've had this power steering light problem since i bought my car 8 1/2 years ago and it's now worse than ever (winter) . I have to start engine and then turn it off then start it again to clear the light. My battery is still the original and seems to be working fine (you can see the green light on it which shows good health) but due it's age i've splashed out on a nice new Bosh 77ah S5 096 which is more powerful than the std battery. I will fit this tomorrow and let you know if this makes any difference. Can't see it though as the cars always had the power steering light issue.

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
I've posted up that my PAS light has started to come on now and again in the last few weeks, similar to you:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=335035
but like what happens with you once turning the car off and back on, all is fine again. However, I'm losing fluid (ever since I had the timing belt/water pump changed), can't tell if its the coolant or PAS yet, pretty sure I'm losing coolant on the tube on the top left of the radiator. My cars going to get a good check over on the weekend so hopefully its nothing serious but a lose connection for the coolant, and maybe a battery issue with the cold or a lose or rusted connector for the PAS.
Andy are you losing fluid?

Last edited:

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
I've had this power steering light problem since i bought my car 8 1/2 years ago and it's now worse than ever (winter) . I have to start engine and then turn it off then start it again to clear the light. My battery is still the original and seems to be working fine (you can see the green light on it which shows good health) but due it's age i've splashed out on a nice new Bosh 77ah S5 096 which is more powerful than the std battery. I will fit this tomorrow and let you know if this makes any difference. Can't see it though as the cars always had the power steering light issue.

I look forward to post after the new battery has been fitted..

Sounds like your problem is identical to mine, as I have to shut the car off and restart it to clear the light and get the steering to work.

If yours is fine after a battery change, of to get one I will go!!

I had my eye on a Bosh 096 battery to, how much was it ?

Thanks

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Still getting the power steering light coming on..

Checked my battery and charging system again today.

12v while not running, jumping to 14.2 when started (without blipping throttle).

I guess this means that everything is OK and charging and battery voltages are good..

Bubbles, any news on fitting your new battery yet, did it make any difference ?

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Forgot to post back on this sorry!
Anyway put a new 77ah bosh 096 in and problem so far has gone! My old original battery is 8/12 years old but seemed to be working fine. Will keep you posted on how things are going.

Apr 14, 2011
mine does the same, once a week maybe a bit less. done since I got the car in April, might invest in a new battery if this is the problem, my lights also dip when I turn the steering wheel so maybe this is also to do with the battery being old

danmurphy

Aug 24, 2011
I had this issue this morning. Drove the car down the road in an attempt to make it to work and then stopped and switched the ignition off/on and fault cleared.
I will try charging the battery and see how it goes since I haven't noticed any fluid leaks

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Update !
Fitted my new battery a few days ago and had no problems at all with the PAS light:D

I moved my battery to the boot for better handling (it works believe me) but you can loose some voltage with the long cable needed and combine this with winter and a 8 1/2 year old battery= PAS warning light.
I've had this problem before and i'm certain it's caused when your battery isn't fully charged.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Update !
Fitted my new battery a few days ago and had no problems at all with the PAS light:D

Thanks for the update bubbles..

Sounds like I need a trip to my local Euro Car Parts for a new battery then.

Mind you, mine has been fine all this week as the weather has warmed up a bit.

It sounds like you are convinced it has fixed it so I will give it a go.

Once I have fitted a new battery, I will keep the updates coming.

Thanks for your help.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Thanks for the update bubbles..

Sounds like I need a trip to my local Euro Car Parts for a new battery then.

Mind you, mine has been fine all this week as the weather has warmed up a bit.

It sounds like you are convinced it has fixed it so I will give it a go.

Once I have fitted a new battery, I will keep the updates coming.

Thanks for your help.

How old is your battery?
Do you do short trips?
These things will affect your battery performance. A good quality charger could be a solution for you if the battery isn't very old.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
How old is your battery?
Do you do short trips?
These things will affect your battery performance. A good quality charger could be a solution for you if the battery isn't very old.

My Battery is the original from when the car was built, so it will be 7 years as the car is OCT 2004.

I do 10 miles to work and 10 miles home, so should be enough to keep it charged up.

I think the car is due a new battery, even though it starts the car no problem.

I will look out for a Bosh 77 AH like yours, they have then in ECP.

Thanks for your help.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
My Battery is the original from when the car was built, so it will be 7 years as the car is OCT 2004.

I do 10 miles to work and 10 miles home, so should be enough to keep it charged up.

I think the car is due a new battery, even though it starts the car no problem.

I will look out for a Bosh 77 AH like yours, they have then in ECP.

Thanks for your help.

I bought mine from ECP. Make sure you use the dicout code. GIVEAWAY25 i think. Gets 25% off te price

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Yes Euro Car Parts are good. Use WINTER25 too as that also give you 25% off.

I also have this problem and think it's the battery getting a bit tired. I will try to charge it over night some time as it only gets short runs lately.

Phil