james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Well here are some more photos of the build going on,

Block bored 83mm, Arp main studs in, calico bearings in, squirters in
079f8fcf.jpg

Crank in, realised we where missing thrust washers but managed to get some same day
486d3194.jpg

1.8t oil pump drive gear and chain on
8c8347cb.jpg

Pistons etc all sorted
4b976adf.jpg

Ring gapping check
0e80da3d.jpg

Pistons and rods assembled
2d1d8972.jpg

All going in
e0599ab6.jpg

All in and torqued up
34d097f0.jpg

Head on and timing checked before final assembly
90f5204d.jpg

Really looking forward to getting this back on Sunday, only got a few more bits to order before the engine can go back in

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Well here it is as it currently stands, with the sump, oil filter housing etc on.

8901c9b2.jpg

Decided that it would be an offence to such a clean engine to put a shitty dirty cam cover back on so set about it with some cleaning bits

de5ddaed.jpg

Still a few tiny bits of oil that are being a bit stubborn, will get these off tomorrow night then set about painting it this weekend probably.

Going to do a bit more shopping this week.

1. Diff
2. Engine mounts
3. 044 pump
4. Tubular manifold :D

I think these are the only major parts that I am missing now, the rest should just be pipework, electrical connectors, oil and water, oh and a remap :) Really hoping to have this finished by the beginning of march which is ahead of schedule but not sure it's a realistic target.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Great choice mate! :)

Cheers, don't think it's going to be here for a couple of weeks tho, although the SEM should be here this week :D

Awesome, engine is looking good!

Looking forward to the pictures after your remaining shopping items are bought!

Yer, not got a lot to buy now, trying to do it all without the mrs finding out because we're buying a house atm, and should be saving the money for that but I can't resisit.

:lol:

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Only a minor update, picked up my bearings for diff and a new thermostat today in preparation for getting all this back together. Looks like my house purchase is going to come through this week so this might take the back burner for a couple of weeks / months, the mrs thinks the need for a new house is far greater than the need for me to have a fast car :(

Picked myself up a Peugeot 306 1.9 tdi in the meantime so I've got something to 'to and fro' to work in as I have been relying on lifts since this was all taken apart and as my new house isnt on route for any of the people at work had to by myself a temp car. 9 months MOT, 11 months tax from a family friend so know it's been cared for. Let's hope it's reliable enough to get me to work as I think I'll probably keep it as my daily driver and have the Leon for a 'weekend' car.

Will still be putting up plenty of updates as the only big part I've got left to order is a exhaust mani and then I can start putting the engine back in, got plenty of bits on order so they should be turning up over the next fortnight...... Watch this space.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.