HIDs - What kind? Tips and Pics inside.

Packham

Jul 19, 2011
Sheffield
Just been out for my first drive with HID's I've got 5000k bulbs, but they are quite blue. might be a silly question but do they need to wear in at all?

dedon

Aug 31, 2011
Hi guys.

Just a quick question regarding the installation of the bulbs.
When you purchase a HID kit the bulbs are contained within a plastic cover. This has a top half and a bottom half which screw into each other. The top half can be screwed out and removed but the bottom threaded piece can only go down along the wires and i cant seem to thread it off. It will not fit up over the bump base which fits into the light socket. Do i just break this piece of plastic off or am i missing something stupid?

Cheers

Mike19

Hi guys, signed up a few days ago and this is my first post.

So I bought an H4 kit from eBay and I've just been trying to fit it for the best part of half an hour but I'm getting a bit confused.

I would post a couple of pictures of the kit but my post count won't allow it yet. Basically I have the 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts but then I have a connecting lead for the two ballasts; but there's also a fuse and 'wiring harness controller'. Also one of the ends has a 3 prong connector that you'd use for the old bulb. Now this has to go across the car which means I can just clip the back of the light bracket on without making a hole in it, which ideally I didn't want to do.

I was under the impression that it was just the bulb and ballast that was needed and you could fit all of this inside the light fixing.

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
Hi guys, signed up a few days ago and this is my first post.

So I bought an H4 kit from eBay and I've just been trying to fit it for the best part of half an hour but I'm getting a bit confused.

I would post a couple of pictures of the kit but my post count won't allow it yet. Basically I have the 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts but then I have a connecting lead for the two ballasts; but there's also a fuse and 'wiring harness controller'. Also one of the ends has a 3 prong connector that you'd use for the old bulb. Now this has to go across the car which means I can just clip the back of the light bracket on without making a hole in it, which ideally I didn't want to do.

I was under the impression that it was just the bulb and ballast that was needed and you could fit all of this inside the light fixing.

I think its only the H7 kits that fit inside the light fixing. AFAIK the H4 kits have to run across the front of the car and sometimes to the battery aswell.

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Think your right Dave. My H4 kit runs across the front of engine bay between the two headlights, and there's a connection to the positive battery terminal. Ballast's didn't fit inside the headlight. :(

Mike19

Not having much luck with this ha. Cheers Beeza yea after watching a few tutorial videos I realised that would probably be the case. Unfortunately though I can't get them to work.

I set it up, not worrying about wire management for the time being, but I can't for the life of me get these things glowing. I've tried it from scratch 3 times now, each time putting the original H4s back in to make sure I hadn't blown a fuse or anything. I have the red wire connected to the positive contact of the battery and each of the two black wires earthed to the chassis, plus all the other plugs connected up to their respective partners. Starting to think it's a faulty unit but I don't want to have to return it if it's just something I'm doing wrong. Any tips?

Mike19

Ah fair enough well I'll give it another go tomorrow as it's starting to get a bit dark, I guess I could smear a bit of Vaseline on them also to try and increase the conductivity.

Deleted member 77040

good post! as soon as iv been paid i will make the all important purchase of some of these look well good

random-phil

Just ordered my HID’s 35w 6000K H7R…. eBay job from the link in this thread.
I will let you know if even an idiot can install these bad boys.

So what’s the craic with m.o.t is it ok or better to switch back to standard jobbies for mot???

random-phil

Guess it's pretty easy to switch from one to the other then. Hopefully have them on at the weekend.... mite be at vinyl wrap shop tho.... I will try and get some pictures up when I can.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members