Intercooling Pipework Sizing....??

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I'm gonna need to start ordering pipework for making my intercooler pipework soon.

I've bought a second hand Forge LCR Big Race Intercooler, it came with the crash bar and the silicone pipework.
So i unpacked it the other day and noticed the pipework isn't forge stuff... it is a mixture of Samco / Unnamed stuff. They seem to slightly different sizes too.

So due to the position of my turbo i won't be using the pipework...

DSC01163.jpg

I am also using a SEM Inlet manifold so the throttle body will be on the passenger side.

I'm thinking of running the turbo to intercooler pipe across the front of the engine and down into the cooler the other side will be similar to the normal Forge intercooler to throttle body.

The Turbo compressor outlet is 2.5" so i'm guessing this is the size to use for the pipework but i may be wrong.

Does anyone know what size is optimum for a Big Turbo / any guidelines for intercooler pipework sizing ???

Many Thanks,

Graham.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
I know Bill uses 63mm for all the BT conversions he does and on his own Badgerwagon... 70mm maybe an option though but obviously there is a degree of lag induced by going larger which I know you have been working towards sorting out on the exhaust mani you are building...

<tuffty/>

underpressure

Jan 12, 2012
Germany
What size has your TB? I think for top end you would need a larger pipe but the 2.5" help for spooling.

I would go from turbo -> IC in 2.5" and from IC -> SEM the same dimension as your TB. So you have no bottleneck.

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
im in the same boat was thinking 2.5 from outlet to intercooler ( 76 inlet on cooler) then from (76mm oulet cooler) to throttle body in 76mm

what do you think of that or would i be best running 2.5 all the way ??

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
2.5" is going to flow pretty high hp...
70mm maybe on your graham perhaps.. (same boat I am in myself.. currently 63mm but thinking maybe 70mm is more appropriate for the power possibilities)

my TB being 80mm on SEM

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
What size has your TB? I think for top end you would need a larger pipe but the 2.5" help for spooling.

I would go from turbo -> IC in 2.5" and from IC -> SEM the same dimension as your TB. So you have no bottleneck.

I would of thought the opposite.. A larger bore pipe from turbo to cooler and a slight smaller bore from cooler to throttle body.

The air will be denser post IC..

Just my 2p

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Sorry guys forgot about this thread, i think it's cos i have just been doing boring bodywork....

Thanks to everyone for all the information etc it's give me plenty to think about.

So i've decided to ditch the Forge Big Race FMIC, don't think its gonna be unto the job and don't want to have to redo all my pipework etc later on / waste money on mapping sessions etc...

So thinking now about either going with a ProAlloy (lots of recommendations of users on here) or a Precision / Garrett FMIC.
the only other option i am partly considering is a Charge cooler. Precision also do water to air intercoolers that seem to have a great reputation... i know the whole charge cooler idea is more complex / can be more costly and normally weighs more but i have been researching them.
The positives on the other hand are the pipework can be kept really short - thus helping response etc.
Also the Pressure drop on AWIC's is very minimal due to the fact the cores don't restrict the airflow as much as the water is more efficient at transferring heat from the charge air the core doesn't have to slow the air as much to help.

Gonna look into this a bit more.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I mapped a race LCR with forge big race on it... it cooled ok.
I would'nt have used 60mm ends myself on it but it cooled ok

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I mapped a race LCR with forge big race on it... it cooled ok.
I would'nt have used 60mm ends myself on it but it cooled ok

So do you reckon it'll be upto the job then bill ?? If i remember reading right that race lcr you had in was running a gt35 wasn't it ?

65mm is more than adaquate for 700-800bhp. 75mm needed for 800+.

Coolio thanks for the info.

styling

Apr 13, 2010
Wagner tuning? Is a great low temperature air

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Sensation Z710e avec Tapatalk