Grahams81-Leon 4wd, Big Turbo - Back in the saddle :-)

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
I never liked extra spoilers on the leon. This can be nice when finished though.
As allready pointed out, it looks a little odd the way it sits now. Maybe if you lined up the rear of the spoiler (not the tips) with the hatch, adjusting the angle at the same time? :)

gdjohny

Crazy Mechanical Engineer
Dec 25, 2010
Kettering
Even dough I am still fun of Fast and Furious styled car I dont like the spoiler. Graham why did you redone the original spoiler so it seats flat ?

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Thanks for all the comments guys, kinda along the lines i thought .....i knew it wouldn't be too everyone's taste :whistle:

It's hard to imagine what the finished car will look like as i'm so far away.. still sporting 16" etc etc..... but once its on Chunky motorsport wheels with the flared arches it'll look sweet.

I only pushed the mounting bracket up somewhere near and cabled tied the spoiler on...... it's by no way the finished article.
Hopefully tomorrow i'll be trying to square up the mounting bracket up and try and move it back towards the window.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I think the spolier will look ok in the end, just need to look at the bigger picture
Keep it up and welcome to the slow progress club too

Deleted member 35176

Looks awesome Graham. Been keeping a very close eye on this and cannot wait too see the end result!

Congrats on the baby mate!

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
I would love to make my cupra TDI AWD :)
Keep up the good work mate. I really want to see the finished car :)

Thanks.... i can't wait myself :D

I think the spolier will look ok in the end, just need to look at the bigger picture
Keep it up and welcome to the slow progress club too

Cheers Mate, hope it looks ok - but I'm sure it will good with the theme I'm looking for.

Looks awesome Graham. Been keeping a very close eye on this and cannot wait too see the end result!

Congrats on the baby mate!

Thanks for the kind words :D

I quite like the look of the spoiler.....didn't think i would but i do, well done again on the effort to avoid the perspex screen.

Cheers Phil, Thanks for the comments.

Smallish update ---------------

So just finished for the day, far too cold to be working outside all day.

So i wanted to angle the spoiler mount closer to the back window so i set about altering the angle of the mount.

I started by cutting the mount just where it came through the boot opening - i then bent it towards the back window until the angle looked better ( i was after a angle nearly vertical with the boot)
Took several attempts to get it looking right.

After that i decided to remove the main uprights from the mounting horizontal pieces, i did this so i could ensure the angle was exactly the same between the two uprights.

Once i was happy the angles were the same i welded up the cuts i just made and the cut outs where the horizontal brace was -

IMG_0131.jpg

I then ground all the welds flat and remounted the lower horizontal brace back on by tack welding it -

IMG_0132.jpg

I am going to weld up the holes where the uprights come through the boot, just need to get some metal ordered.

Tried it on and it looks instantly better -

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Bolted in using the lower brace -

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

So i bolted the top brace into place then had a measure up and made some plates to join the upper brace to the mount.

All tacked up and bolted back in -

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

So after that i decided to see what the spoiler would sit like a bit closer to the window (more like the original Supercopa)

Just cabled tied on again - Obviously the angle of the spoiler will be set properly when i make the brackets for the top.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Shots from up high -

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Think it definitely looks better not sitting as far back :D

After that i decided to start fitting the clips to hold on the side skirts.... i haven't ordered enough of the clips so could only put 4 on. I just drilled and self tapered the brackets on -

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Called it a day after that, i'm frozen to the bone..... gonna have a snooze and then set off to drive down south 400 miles !!!!

Keep the comments coming, thanks and so long for now :D

blueleon

Jul 16, 2010
coming along nicely, really enjoy reading your progress. The car will be amazing when out on the road. Just imagine the look on any ones face if they try and race you ha ha ( all show and even more go!) I think your styling choice really works well. Thanks for all the up dates you keep posting

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
great work m8! Wouldnt usually like the spoiler but i think its gana look good when the motor is finished
Think alot of people which see the car will think baorry boy lol. As id never heard of or seen a supercopa before coming on this website. The angle of it seems strange but i suppouse thats how its meant to be.

Keep cracking on bud

ShizTheBiz

Oct 25, 2010
Grimsby/Cleethorpes
looks good pal
are you putting side perspec windows in and keeping the rear glass or are you keeping them all glass

i agree with you though it should look really smart when its done. a lot like a touring car IMO

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
coming along nicely, really enjoy reading your progress. The car will be amazing when out on the road. Just imagine the look on any ones face if they try and race you ha ha ( all show and even more go!) I think your styling choice really works well. Thanks for all the up dates you keep posting

Cheers bud, yeh i can't wait to upset some expensive metal.... Show and go :D

great work m8! Wouldnt usually like the spoiler but i think its gana look good when the motor is finished
Think alot of people which see the car will think baorry boy lol. As id never heard of or seen a supercopa before coming on this website. The angle of it seems strange but i suppouse thats how its meant to be.

Keep cracking on bud

Cheers Tom, i havn't set the angle of it yet i've got to make some brackets up yet. It needs tilting down more.

looks good :thumbup:

Why thank you :D

looks good pal
are you putting side perspec windows in and keeping the rear glass or are you keeping them all glass

i agree with you though it should look really smart when its done. a lot like a touring car IMO

Just gonna keep the glass windows for now, gonna be using it on the road mostly so its got to retain some good manners.:)

i reckon this would look lambo orange or even white

Really struggling on the whole paint front, i've been spending loads on the car recently and i need to get it under control.....

I have got a oil free compresor with a tasty sata spray gun / all the bits and bobs so i was toying with the idea of giving it a lick of paint myself - mainly just so i could get it on the road, and maybe save up for a proper job later on.

I fitted a tyga bodykit to the wifes VFR400 and painted it in repsol colours -

556d3a08.jpg

06c2dc6d.jpg

Really enjoyed the painting but the prep was boring so i was looking on the internet and matt black paint obviously requires no lacquer, that'll make it a bit easier.....

So i'm thinking of painting the car myself in matt black, subject to change.....:blink:

Last edited:

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
I wanted mine Matt black because I was going down the route of murdering it body shop said no tho lol and now glad mines been painted black as the shine I get off mine once waxed is like a mirror , I think it will only work if you keep all the car /wheels black or a dark colour

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Matt black will look awesome, I say go for it :)

That bike looks great too, I've always had a soft spot for VFR Hondas.

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
I've seen matte black cars about, including a Bentley Continental GT :blink: and I've got to be honest I think they look awful!

I'd like to see you do it in Repsol Orange :lol: