How to: Fix broken Load Signal cable from Alternator

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi guys, had exactly the same fault as described on here, noticed it yesterday, sure enough got under the car today and there were the 2 broken wires!
Turned the ignition on, we have a battery light!

After taking it for a test drive, for around 15 mins, the damn TCS light is back on (after 10 minutes) :( However the battery light is now illuminated every time with the ignition on/engine off. Anyone got any ideas?!?

Haven't got access to a VAGCOM unfortunately...

Cheers

Are you sure you have connected the wires the corect way around ?

Kernowbeeza

May 13, 2011
Hey,
I did have an inkling about that...
Had another look under the car, and because i'd tried to re-use the connector block, by putting straight-through crimps on, I think only one of the wires had a sufficient electrical connection. Although physically in place, it didnt take an extreme amount of pulling to come off...
I've now bypassed the male & female connectors, and just put in 2 lengths of wire in their place. This has cured everything now and the FR is back on form!

So to summarise, if anyone gets that fault, I would suggest reterminating both wires so they are making sound electrical connection.

Thanks for the interest!!

51mo

May 21, 2011
Thanks for this guide.

I only get the light coming on intermitantly at this moment in time and had no idea what it could be until i read this. Since it is a common fault i will check this out first and see if anything isnt pukka.

Cheers.

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Just checked mine as I realised I had no battery light showing on the dash and a fault code to do with alternator load signal.

Sure enough both cables broken clean off.

Patched some wire in and connected it all together and all is good.

Many thanks for the guide. Really helped!

Phil

Anx_Cupra

As you can see by the state of the connector the wires had quite literally clean snapped off!
connector.jpg

Hi there AL, I have the same problem in my Cupra TDI, But It is missing this part of the Plug, Can you or somebody else provide me the Part Number, to make a order for a new one, In the SEAT house they cant identify the plug. Please Help Me, Regards André [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Steviedunit

Thanks for info but all 3 lights mentioned come on constant as soon as you start up so sounds like something else
Great guide though so I'll check those wires when the sun comes up:)

Steviedunit

Great post mate and thanks, think mine may be a different fault but will check those wires first thing in morning. All 3 lights mentioned come on at start up and stay on constant, no flashing, rough idle and stalling and cutting out at low revs when u take foot off pedal

kylel39

Hello guys,

I just picked up a 55 plate cupra tdi 3 days ago. I seem to have the problem noted above (which the owner did not tell me about) as well as the brake light issue. Anyway, I haven't tried to fix it yet but will be getting it done.

Think I also have the issue of occasionaly the power steering doesn't kick in till a quick rev. My question is, my car occasionally splutters/lack of power when putting the foot down almost like the traction control has kicked in intemittenly and cut power. Could this be related to this or is this another issue? All of the above is the exact same, 10 minutes or so of driving and the light comes on.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hello guys,

I just picked up a 55 plate cupra tdi 3 days ago. I seem to have the problem noted above (which the owner did not tell me about) as well as the brake light issue. Anyway, I haven't tried to fix it yet but will be getting it done.

Think I also have the issue of occasionaly the power steering doesn't kick in till a quick rev. My question is, my car occasionally splutters/lack of power when putting the foot down almost like the traction control has kicked in intemittenly and cut power. Could this be related to this or is this another issue? All of the above is the exact same, 10 minutes or so of driving and the light comes on.

The load signal wire could be causing the stutter and other running issues. Fix it first because the battery is not charging properly until you do. ( only charges over 2000 rpm without the load signal wire connected)

The favorite cause of the power steering issue is a battery on it's way out. ( assuming you have checked the fluid level ) My PAS issues all dissapeared when i put a new battery on the car.

Last edited:

kylel39

The load signal wire could be causing the stutter and other running issues. Fix it first because the battery is not charging properly until you do. ( only charges over 2000 rpm without the load signal wire connected)

The favorite cause of the power steering issue is a battery on it's way out. ( assuming you have checked the fluid level ) My PAS issues all dissapeared when i put a new battery on the car.

Thanks mate,

Will get it checked out tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Kyle

GrayB

Hi guys, Really good thread and hopefully the root of my problem too. (2006 1.8 20vt FR)

Traction control light has been coming on intermittently whilst away on holiday with the power steering issue also happening about 3 times in as many weeks - tonight the Traction control light is on permanently and wont go out on restart, will check tomorrow in the light when its hopefully not raining.

fingers crossed its just wires - typically the MOT is due next month!!

Many thanks for a very informing thread and indeed Site.

Also the battery light is ON on ignition?

Last edited by a moderator:

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Great guide.

Had the traction light come on after 10mins and no battery light, got underneath today and yup 2 broken wires. What a rubbish design, the cables rub on the cable conduit and they have no protection so basically overtime the conduit saws through the cables! Also why the traction control light and why disable the traction control because of a problem with the alternator?!

FYI: I removed the pins from the connector (need to remove the blue rubber grommets over the cables where they enter the connector, remove the purple horseshoe clip inside the connector, then use 2 pieces of wire top and bottom of the pin to push the locating tabs in and push the pin out the back of the connector), soldered new wires to the pins, put them back in the connector and soldered the new wires to what was left of the original wires in the car. I also covered the whole lot including the tail end of the connector in heat shrink and insulating tape.

Last edited:

Weedall

Ko4 = fun
Apr 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Great guide thank, fixed this problem on my tdi today. i do not have tc so this light did not come on but i did notice that there was no battery light on ignition and my alternator wasn't kicking in until 2000 rpm, which actually caused my car battery to go flat while defrosting my car.

Thanks guys

cactusjack

Ibiza FR TDI
Feb 25, 2012
Nottingham
Hi guys,

The battery light stays on when the car is running on mine (FR TDI), then when the car is turned off, the battery is completely dead!

Could this be the cause? Not had chance to look yet, happened the other day.

Cheers,

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi guys,

The battery light stays on when the car is running on mine (FR TDI), then when the car is turned off, the battery is completely dead!

Could this be the cause? Not had chance to look yet, happened the other day.

Cheers,

Battery light staying on means it is NOT CHARGING

Have a look at the altenator drive belt - is it still on and turning the alternator ?

Also - next time you get it started - try taking the revs above 4k and see if the light goes out - if it does, that would be the load signal wire issue.

lol4fun

Sorry to drag up an old thread but im looking to upgrade the alternator to one with an external regulator so wont be connected to the loom at all apart from the output, is there any way to trick/bypass the load sensor?

Dobbyboy

Dec 27, 2012
Sunderland
Bloody typical never been out in the car for nearly two weeks. Jumped in it today drove about 20 mins. Traction control and abs warning light decided to light up. Noticed when I turn steering slightly on idle the headlamps dull. Sounds similar to previous posts, get me vag reader out on Monday at work.

Joys of cars. :wtf:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.