How to make quadruple rear running lights

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
I was like you initially, a bit apprehensive. But it all makes sense once you get started....
The hardest parts are getting the trim off and fishing the wire through the rubber grommet at the top off the boot.
I'm no electrician but its relatively simple....

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Nope will be doing it myself.
once ive seen how its done im usually able to do it myself however i will be doing it in the morning so if i do mess up badly the electrician will still be avalible to
However after reading this thread a couple hundred times and analyising the pictures i think i got it

Is it really that hard to get? I tried to make it pretty simple, step by step..

Yeah, the rubber brommit between the hatch and the roof is a pain! Needs some serious pulling!! :cartman:

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
Have started this but realised i dont have a 18mm drill bit so done it up to 16 and tried squashing one through. They realised i had broken the holder and now need to order another:(

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Have started this but realised i dont have a 18mm drill bit so done it up to 16 and tried squashing one through. They realised i had broken the holder and now need to order another:(

You could try cutting it with a knife?

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
You could try cutting it with a knife?

I tried heating it but messed it up further so i used a knife on the other side and it fits perfectly. Managed to get the messed up side to fit but and it was working but once i shut the boot it stoped so im thinking it could be down to the soldering.

I still need to get the wire from the brakes to the bulb holders so they are always running.

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
You still need to do the wiring proper?
Almost sounded like you wanted to do brake lights in the inner ones as well, but that would be an MOT fail.

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
Finally done this. Did most the wiring the other day when i had to change my areil.
I did have problems with side and found but after ordering a new holder i realised it wasnt the ground connections that where faulty it was the positive.
and then connecting the wire to the back of the headlight i found it in a right mess as it had lots of other random wires wich im assuiming are for the tow bar.
Will get pics up later

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Thought I'd share a couple of daytime pics now that I've wiped off the tinting spray..

20120706160333.jpg

20120706160323.jpg

Cupra_Mat

Aug 9, 2010
Sutton Coldfield / Lichfield
Can you not just replace the fog bulb with a normal bulb replacement and crimp the wire that goes to the main lights to the fog?

Surely you shouldn’t need to solder the clusters or change the bulb adapters in the cluster, or I am thinking to simple? :/

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
You could ofc, but that would mean sacrificing you rear fog lights resulting in an MOT failure...
Hence all the work.

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
I really don't come here very often anymore.. But if you want I'll do the rest a day I've got the time..

Here are a few to give you an idea.

20120217_145914.jpg

20120217_182801.jpg

20120217_192658.jpg

20120218_235536.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members