Lock ring stuck on coilover

CupraSean

Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
Jul 21, 2010
West Midlands
I have a lock ring seized on one of the struts. I have tried everything to free it up, wd40, heat, force...and still won't budge !

The teeth in the lock ring are nw just deforming an the c spanner has lost its shape and become to maluable....:(

Any ideas guys ???? :shrug:

blackcupra180

Aug 4, 2009
fife
I had the same problem. I had to take mine off steam clean the threads then with the steam cleaner try heat the ring only then into the vice and a set of stilsons on them. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraSean

Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
Jul 21, 2010
West Midlands
hmm ok nice one ! ive just put some plus gas aside at my local so ill go collect it at lunch ! see what i can do with that ! cheers for the advice ill keep you updated !

i just hope the heat hasnt affected anything !!

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
When one of mine got stuck at the weekend I soaked it in WD40, then used a good c-spanner and belted it with a soft faced mallet which shocked it loose :)

CupraSean

Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
Jul 21, 2010
West Midlands
hmmm, i was hoping that would work last night, it worked on the others but this one.....is just properly stuck !!

brought some plus gas at lunch an will get the stillsons on it tonight ! fingers crossed eh. all i need now is......this damn rain to stop so i dont get soaked :censored:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Plusgas is so far beyond WD40 it's silly, if plusgas doesn't open it up then nothing will. What I have sometimes done is get some plasticine and made a 'pool' for the plusgas to sit in. If you get a thin roll of plasticine and lie it round the ring on the top, leaving a gap between the plasticine and thread, then fill it with plusgas and leave it to soak.

CupraSean

Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
Jul 21, 2010
West Midlands
Well after a good soak an smashing the hell out of it....didn't even budge !!! So gutted ! Just want it sorted now, will have to try again at weekend :(

Nice Idea slimy will give that a shot !!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise