mk3 ibiza cupra re-shell

woody cupra

Aug 25, 2010
north east
Hi guys, basically as title im wondering how tricky this could potentially be.

My main thoughts are removing the engine, is there some plug from the loom i can disconnect to save me disconnecting all the sensors etc one by one?
Also to make it easier how much of the engine and drivetrain could i remove at once? could i drop the front subframe, engine bed etc out with the engine, shafts, hubs, struts etc all attached then place the new shell over the top and lift it back into place??

The shell will be coming from a car been broken for parts so is there anything particular i should look to get with it to make the job easier?

Ive done stuff like this before but only on little cars saxo/106's i can imagine this been a bit different and probably trickier.

Thanks in advance, any input appreciated :)

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Not the best person to answer this but i'll try just to give a bump, if you look at the main fuse box under the steering wheel maybe theres a big plug to seperate it from the engine bay loom!? As for dropping the engine as a whole im guessing if you drop the front subframe and undo the mounts and top suspension struts youll be able to lift the body off the engine and undo all exhuast rubbers and gear stick selector..

All this is guess work but cant be that different to dropping out any other engines mainly only done fords lol cossies and rs t's.

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
undo the subframe and drop the whole lot onto a pallet with wheels like a bread crate trolley thing! then on the loom there is a round block connector at the bottom of the standard intercooler pipe that runs over the rocker cover remove this and the engine part of the loom stays on the engine then just remove the other wires and it should just pull out nice, i had my engine in and out running in a weekend when my turbo went and done it this way it seemed best for me

woody cupra

Aug 25, 2010
north east
Cheers for the replies lads, it sounds a good way to do it dropping the subframe onto something portable, do you know of any good 1.8t removal guides?
Will disconnecting the loom this way leave the ecu and all sensors etc with the engine and just the interior loom left on the car?

woody cupra

Aug 25, 2010
north east
Easiest way to do it with minimal fuss, any tips to make the job easier such as mentioned above with the engine and subframe.

As i mentioned before, the shell i am looking at is being broke for parts so any bits i should look to buy with it such as interior loom and wiring etc that would make my job easier

Cheers

Aug 22, 2011
aberdeen
undo the subframe and drop the whole lot onto a pallet with wheels like a bread crate trolley thing! then on the loom there is a round block connector at the bottom of the standard intercooler pipe that runs over the rocker cover remove this and the engine part of the loom stays on the engine then just remove the other wires and it should just pull out nice, i had my engine in and out running in a weekend when my turbo went and done it this way it seemed best for me

This round black plug how does it undo? i can't figure it out :s its the last thing i gotta do so i can remove the engine.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise