Squeaky Windows !!

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
both my front windows make a rather disconcerting clunk when they reach the top. It doesn't sound right at all. Like they want to go further or they're hitting metal instead of rubber.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
It seems as if it only does it when it's warm. Greased the runners on the sides of the door frame and the passenger side seems to be cured, Drivers side is hellishly noisy when it's warm (ie been sat in the sun all day) but it's fine when it's had a chance to cool down.

philosan1

I see somebody wanted to know what it was like with this problem in Spain! Well lets just say that as we have only had 5 rainy days in 4 months, my windows make a hell of a noise! I've tried WD40, candle wax, talc... you name it, I've tried it! Local dealer said it was the window rubber at €140 per side! Yeah, right! For now I'm just going to open the door! Car accessory/spares shops are like hens teeth out here, main dealers only for the most part, so inflated prices, and of course, any information is all in Spanish, which leads to confusing translations! Is there a way to just grease these cables, without all the hassle of taking the window system apart?

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
My wifes 57 plate Altea had the drivers window do this the end of last year. We were stcuk so paid the Dealers £150 to repair. During this they broke a piece of trim which was finally replaced FOC. The passenger side has also started doing this but strangely enough it went in for its service and has come back out with it not making a noise. Then the other day the trim on the passenger side fell off. Leads me to believe that the dealer undone it all during the service and greased it. But also broke the trim without telling us. No proof though[:@]

martycupratdi

Sep 2, 2004
Kinross, Tayside
XL winder cables

Hi all,
Can anyone point me to a link for cable repair kits for my 57 Altea XL.
I had the passenger side replaced last year and now the drivers side has just gone, can't afford the £180 for the dealer to fixthis time so am going to try myself.
Are the cable kits the same for the Altea and the XL?
Thanks
Marty
:cry:

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Hi all,
Can anyone point me to a link for cable repair kits for my 57 Altea XL.
I had the passenger side replaced last year and now the drivers side has just gone, can't afford the £180 for the dealer to fixthis time so am going to try myself.
Are the cable kits the same for the Altea and the XL?
Thanks
Marty
:cry:
dave at sere motors is prob your best bet i have read mixed reports on the ones on ebay

mm

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Well my drivers side cable finally snapped today. I've managed to strip the door down ready for a new cable Thanks for the guide as I'd never have sussed it without that!

£25 for a kit on ebay. Just waiting for the price comparison from sere

Dandle

Dec 17, 2007
Ashford
I wouldn't bother with the ebay kit again. Mine lasted a year before that snapped. The regulator from seat comes all built up and is really easy to fit, whereas replacing the cables is a bit of a fiddle and requires two people. The kit I had from ebay was really tight which is why it snapped again i think. I paid £110 delivered from Sear and it was well worth it.

Last edited:

martycupratdi

Sep 2, 2004
Kinross, Tayside
Hi Gaz, what guide did you use for taking your door apart, I've been putting it off cos I've not done it before and it looks very complicated. Do you think I should buy some plastic trim removal tools?
Cheers
Marty

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Its earlier in this thread. :) Once you get the fabric part off it's petty straightforward. I used a couple of screwdrivers but some trim removal tools would have helped a bit.

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Mines in the garage right now having the passenger side sorted. The squeal goes right through me! The drivers one has also done it on the odd occasion so will wait until it gets bad then have it done as well providing it's not too expensive?!?

20vt Tony

Oct 16, 2006
Edwinstowe, Notts
Well, got the reply from the garage and the mechanism (is that the regulator) is knackered so a new one required!
Looking above about £100 seems about right for the part, just don't fancy the labour costs! Is it a straight forward job as the regulator comes in one piece?
Also wheres best to start when taking the door cover off??

Thanks

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
To remove door cover one gets brave.....
1) Prise carefully the black cover on the side of the window switches, it will eventually come off, remove screw hidden deep at the end nearest the lock, with some wriggling the whole switch unit will come off (cannot remember if there is another screw....). Unplug cable from switch.
2) Remove speaker cover - prise off carefully. Remove speaker (4 screws and unplug cable) and store carefully
3) Remove fabric trim by carefully easing from backing
4) Should now be able to see some of the mechanism. Reconnect window switch and lower window about 5cm - assuming it can still be moved.... 2 bolts on the slides should come into view. Tape up the glass to the window frame to hold in position. Loosen these two bolts - they fix the regulator to the glass. Once loose then drop mechanism clear of the glass. Disconnect switch again.
5) Now undo remaining screws to remove the moulded inner part of the door that the regulator is fixed to. 2 screws at the bottom - loosen a long way, no need to remove (yet), and an assortment of other screws that are (fairly) obvious. Now comes the fun bit - on my door anyway - the door lock area. There is a white plastic bit that is fixed to the moulding and the door lock. Now I couldn't see how to remove this and so drilled out the obvious plastic moulding plugs that held them together and used a bolt in re-fitting - must be a way otherwise though
6) Carefully disconnect door pull cable at the inner handle end, small clip.
7) Remove (ping!!) the black cover that hides the mirror connector and disconnect mirror cables
8) Lift moulded unit upwards and then outwards to reveal (knackered) regulator. Fixing is obvious, but ensure electrical cables go back the right way to prevent fouling the mechanism. Assuming you have the SEAT unit, then swap them over (easy and obvious) and in the great Haynes manual tradition replacement is the reverse of removal.....
9) Also have jump leads handy.....ignition needs to be on to move windows up and down, radio is on for company, the windows are moved a few times, the ignition gets left on, the interior light is on and the battery is a few years old and the wife is not happy......

Have some pictures to hand (will try to attach in due course) and with some web trawling there are also some guides out there. Would be able to do it in under an hour with a little more practice - allow a long afternoon the first time!! Enjoy.....

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.