What did you and your MK2 do today?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I agree Jarre, the fogs are useless on the Leon anyway, they are only good for anything below 20mph if on tight twisty country roads, but anything faster and you just don't notice their effect. Forget about actual foggy conditions too, you would be better off with two candles taped to the front bumper. The cornering function and reversing function is very handy though, but it just makes you look like an idiot and thats why I turned the cornering lights off but kept the reverse :(

Ya monkeys. Fogs are the to BE SEEN not for you TO SEE.
Did you think the rear fog was there to illuminate the world behind you? ;)
The fact that they illuminate a bend and help see the roadsides are a (intentional) side-effect

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Ya monkeys. Fogs are the to BE SEEN not for you TO SEE.
Did you think the rear fog was there to illuminate the world behind you? ;)
The fact that they illuminate a bend and help see the roadsides are a (intentional) side-effect

I hope you are kidding?

"Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low . They may produce white or selective yellow light, and are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. They are sometimes used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps."

If they where for being SEEN, then someone will see my headlights first as the beam is spread out in foggy conditions. Not two little beams low down. So why would you need fogs? It is not law to have front fogs, so does the law not want people to be seen in foggy conditions?

Rear fogs are to be SEEN, front fogs are to SEE.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I was told by the guy at HIDs direct yesterday that if you want good fog lights, get 3000K HIDs in them. The candle like coloured light cuts through the fog best, just incase anyone wants to know!

Also if front fogs were that important anyway they'd be standard on every vehicle produced! I have to say though, I always believed front fogs were for you to see with, not be seen

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
I was told by the guy at HIDs direct yesterday that if you want good fog lights, get 3000K HIDs in them. The candle like coloured light cuts through the fog best, just incase anyone wants to know!

Also if front fogs were that important anyway they'd be standard on every vehicle produced! I have to say though, I always believed front fogs were for you to see with, not be seen

That's exactly why I have light candle coloured fog lights in mine. I do feel they cut through fog a bit better than LED ones and therefore you are able to see a little better in thick fog (A20 in Kent is a mean-ass road when foggy, they do help you see the road lines a bit better!).

I rarely use them, so it doesn't bother me that there is a slight difference in colour to my HID's.

Last edited:

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Today was, up early Chrissy shopping, then back home and an excuse to go outside. Wash, give the devil to clean alloys and arches a really good clean. " coats of polish and one coat of wax. Car looked luvverly as it was getting dark. Most shiny shame about the light! :(

DSCF2539.jpg

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
Today was, up early Chrissy shopping, then back home and an excuse to go outside. Wash, give the devil to clean alloys and arches a really good clean. " coats of polish and one coat of wax. Car looked luvverly as it was getting dark. Most shiny shame about the light! :(

DSCF2539.jpg

Looks nice :)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Taught the other half skid control on snowy/icy roads - her first shot of my car too. She is used to a 1.2 Punto and she did great. She is the only person I have seen drive the car that never almost hit the windscreen when braking and she never stalled once. And now she knows how to control understeer and oversteer :)

Also, the first time i have had the chance to properly try the LSD in the snow and ice - it stops you from sticking so easily in the snow so its a big win :)

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I hope you are kidding?

"Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low . They may produce white or selective yellow light, and are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. They are sometimes used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps."

If they where for being SEEN, then someone will see my headlights first as the beam is spread out in foggy conditions. Not two little beams low down. So why would you need fogs? It is not law to have front fogs, so does the law not want people to be seen in foggy conditions?

Rear fogs are to be SEEN, front fogs are to SEE.

Learn something new every day :) haha. You're still monkeys

Last edited:

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
Taught the other half skid control on snowy/icy roads - her first shot of my car too. She is used to a 1.2 Punto and she did great. She is the only person I have seen drive the car that never almost hit the windscreen when braking and she never stalled once. And now she knows how to control understeer and oversteer :)

Also, the first time i have had the chance to properly try the LSD in the snow and ice - it stops you from sticking so easily in the snow so its a big win :)

Haha them cupra brakes are buggers for that Al, when I go from works mini cooper or my daily into the leon, I give myself whiplash at the first few traffic lights :lol:

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Looks nice :)

Thanks all it was seriously minging after the last couple of weeks of rain oh and more rain! I do country lanes to work most days and they were awful. Love white but not the cleaning! It was tar tastic at the back. Took ages to get the stuff off!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.