Ideal Aftermarket Stereo System For 07 FR

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I'm clueless about car stereos. There, I said it.
I've been looking for a solution that will enable me to have a bluetooth setup for my iPhone, something that can play or stream tunes from my iPhone, be able to get DAB and maybe have a satnav.
The only problem is that despite trawling through the forum I still haven't got a single clue as to where to begin. There seems to be lots of in depth info on here but none more general.

What I'm wondering is whether I need to be going for something like a generic aftermarket head unit or something specific for my car; assuming that it's less nickable if it's custom made for the car.

Any advice appreciated.

Masterkm

My Leon 'Alyssa'
Jul 11, 2011
Halesowen, West Mids
Things to consider:

1. What is your budget?
2. You will need extra bits ie. new fascia, steering control adaptor etc
3. With DAB, it will require more wiring as you need to feed the aerial though the car

The best OEM is RNS510 and aftermarket stick to Pioneer, Alpine or JVC or along those lines

Hope this helps

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I have a JVC KWAV60BT.

The stereo is really good IMO, has built in Bluetooth, pre outs for amps etc. it is also made to work with iPod/iphone. I connect my iPod via USB and have full control of it on the stereo. The iphone 5 connects through Bluetooth for calls but can also do audio streaming. If you buy the cable you can view your iphone screen on the stereo for maps!

I needed:

Stereo - £250
Fascia - £20
Wiring loom - £15
Fakra aerial adaptor - £3
I also paid for fitting at halfords.

aqasy6yg.jpg

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
I've got one of those nice Chinese models, has everything except DAB (but they do have them available)

Paid 180 quid and it fits straight in, no extra cables and works with the steering controls.
Looks like it belongs in the car too

Some say they are cheap **** and to be avoided, but from my research there were far more happy customers than not.

All depends on your budget, as an official VW unit is big bucks and isn't as all singing and dancing as everyone makes out

IMAG0386.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Sheffield
I live that a lot, very tempted now. Apart from the steering wheel controls is it okay with other canbus functions like phone?

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
What's the nav like on that? What about integration with existing bluetooth/steering wheel controls/MFD??

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
Things to consider:

1. What is your budget?
2. You will need extra bits ie. new fascia, steering control adaptor etc
3. With DAB, it will require more wiring as you need to feed the aerial though the car

The best OEM is RNS510 and aftermarket stick to Pioneer, Alpine or JVC or along those lines

Hope this helps

Well, I have a reasonable budget. I'm totally not into doing it myself. I might end up in Halfords or somewhere.

I googled the RNS510 and it's big bucks. so maybe not that one.

Thanks for the advice.

Masterkm

My Leon 'Alyssa'
Jul 11, 2011
Halesowen, West Mids
Like above, you can try the chinese ones, a long thread on it is on the forum for you to decide on that.

The chinese ones will not integrate with built in stuff like bluetooth as they have their own

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
If I wasn't to buy the RNS510 then which one would you say of the non-chinese ones looks the best integrated in the dash?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I've got one of those nice Chinese models, has everything except DAB (but they do have them available)

Paid 180 quid and it fits straight in, no extra cables and works with the steering controls.
Looks like it belongs in the car too

Some say they are cheap **** and to be avoided, but from my research there were far more happy customers than not.

All depends on your budget, as an official VW unit is big bucks and isn't as all singing and dancing as everyone makes out

IMAG0386.jpg

Yeah that looks smart fella. As asked above, what's the sat nav like? Can you update it easily?

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Yeah that looks smart fella. As asked above, what's the sat nav like? Can you update it easily?

It's Igo Primo and its very good, custom theming, plenty of add ons for points of interest and speed camera stuff.
It's running the latest maps, there was a large thread about it posted the other month.

Before choosing one, check with the seller and make sure you're happy with them. I took mine apart one day and its Samsung parts inside

My only criticism for my model, is the Bluetooth is very basic, but this may have changed on newer models, as mine will be two years old in Jan

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
If I wasn't to buy the RNS510 then which one would you say of the non-chinese ones looks the best integrated in the dash?

Seat will fit you a Kenwood unit for £1000 and that looks very nice. They have it on display in the dealerships for you to look at and play with

bulldoug

Hi, I was wondering where you got that facia panel from ?? I installed a similar unit but the aftermarket facia I bought is square and does not fit over or under the unit.

bulldoug

Local Dealer or TPS. You are after the RNS facia while the aftermarket ones generally are for 3rd party radios

Thanks for the quick reply :) I forgot to mention I have a 2005 seat toledo... I don't think there is much difference at all... The unit I have is a Chinese one which looks identical to the unit on this post. So will my local dealer or TPS be able to help me... :)

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Seat will fit you a Kenwood unit for £1000 and that looks very nice. They have it on display in the dealerships for you to look at and play with

I think Seat might be pimping the newer Kenwood 521 model now, but the Kenny 520 was the Seat Approved unit they were flogging when the Mk2's were current.

I cannot complain about it at all, fantastic unit.
Integrates fully with the wheel remote, but NOT with the dash MFD - not really a deal breaker for me.
iPod/iPhone is controllable via the screen (both itunes and Spotify)
The garmin satnav is great.
Bluetooth for calls seems good quality.
Customisable colour schemes, preset appearances
Splash/startup screen and background images can be customised.

But yes it is pricey although im sure its cheaper now there is a newer model.

P1070635.jpg

20140806_224338.jpg

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
The 521 Kenwood would be the best option, although still high price even 2nd hand. New one is better with dab and lane assit Sat nav.

I bought the original 520 for £500 almost 2 and a half years ago. Even has DVD player and connections for TV tuner haha. Best thing I bought for my car.

Last edited:

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
I did have an issue with an after market i got installed by an ex Halfords employee that did not do a very good job. It is my partner's Fiesta STand i wanted the sat nav as a surprise gift, so was let down when the unit did not work well; overheated and would black out every now and again. Still i persevered and got another one and fitted it myself and hey presto everything worked first time. Why i am telling this story is that i too think that not all Chinese aftermarket sat navs are crap. After all they do need to sell them. It is in their benefit to address defect issues. I want to do the same for my Cupra 2010. I like the idea of an Android aftermarket like theone i fitted in the Fiesta. That way i can get Waze and all my other apps installed which is lovely in the Fiesta. I am put off by installing as i do not want to loose any steering functionality or dashboard functions attached to the existing stock sat nav. Is there someone out there that has managed to get one installed with all functionality of the stock?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise