Death of a Leon

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
So my dozy father finally killed his Leon.

To my utter amazement he had never had the cam belt changed. I suppose that it sheds some light on the debate as to how long a cam belt lasts rather than how many miles it will do. The answer is 11 years (and 38k miles) :lol:

The question is what to do with it now? 1 owner 51 reg 1.4S with 38k on the clock. Broken cam belt – local indy say no compression on any cylinders and (oddly) seems to be some coolant in the oil, circa £400 - £600 to fix.....

Anyone know what it’s worth salvage? Am I likely to get even a few hundred quid from a breaker? If so it tips the balance and makes repair completely uneconomic.

Sadly just had 4 new tyres and battery.

Any suggestions of good breakers in the Midlands that might give me something for it (or anyone here interested in breaking it/attempting a repair?)

Cheers.

Last edited:

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Why don't you stick it the cars for sale section? Bad news but sounds like your Dad had his money's worth out of it.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
eBay

Cheap fix for someone at home, you'll see £500-800 easily enough.

Wait until next week though

cupragirl

Dec 10, 2009
Brizzle Me Babber
Circa £400 - £600 to fix...

With a bit of patients I'd reckon you could get a second hand engine for less :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Sorry to hear about your dad's car.

Thanks - don't worry he is very laid back about it. He has an interesting take on budget motering - he has just said that if he had the belt changed every 4 years as per the schedule he would have just been comming up to the 4th change - in his mind that has made him £800 better off over 11 years!!!!!!!!!!

lil3520

IBIZA 1.9 TDI SPORT 08
Nov 26, 2006
ALCESTER, WARWICKSHIRE
Thanks - don't worry he is very laid back about it. He has an interesting take on budget motering - he has just said that if he had the belt changed every 4 years as per the schedule he would have just been comming up to the 4th change - in his mind that has made him £800 better off over 11 years!!!!!!!!!!

LIKE IT :p

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.