Mk5 Cupra reliability

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
oil usage and misfires.

Have a look in the Fabia II section of briskoda. ive stopped looking in the oil burning and misfire threads now because its just become boring and repeated.

the CTHE engine is basically the CAVE engine with all the updates fitted.

Thats rediculous. I read about the CTHE engine a while ago with a long list of upgrades inc breather pipes, oil cooler, forged pistons, thicker rings, oil seperator.

I assumed, probably shouldnt have that vw wouldnt release a new engine unless which is vastly different from the original unless all the problems were resolved.

I will have a look on briskoda. I was tempted to buy the new pistons since they would be cheaper than the alteratives, glad I didnt now.

Had a test drive in the 180ps hiundai veloster yesterday, lovely interior and a nice drive................the european one comes at 220bhp, was tempted to jack it all in.

Aug 3, 2011
I've got an 11 plate Cupra and issues wise had a soft misfire sub 1k miles, no loss of power, just fault light flashed briefly, they changed plugs,ht leads, sparks And ignition coil And its ran brill ever since, uses oil is on, but no where near problem usage. Mine is driven swiftly when the weather is right. Mines specced as per signuture, 211bhp. My mirror switch snapped and was replaced no problem. Enjoying this car so much, can't complain about 5.7 to 60 ona ddampish track with poor rubber and standard rims: D

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I would say you have had a good unbiased response to your initial question. Its just if you want to trade off excitement with reliability.

Whats weird is that vw arnt discontinuing this engine at all. Its going into all sorts of models now from hatchbacks to saloons to mpvs. Its also available in all sorts of tune...140ps,150ps,160,ps,180ps & 185ps... from my memory.
It will get to the stage where they will either have to phase it out all together or come up with a complete re-design, from what I have found out over the years its the actual block that is the problem in the angle that the injectors and spark plugs enter + poor cooling.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I would say you have had a good unbiased response to your initial question. Its just if you want to trade off excitement with reliability.

Whats weird is that vw arnt discontinuing this engine at all. Its going into all sorts of models now from hatchbacks to saloons to mpvs. Its also available in all sorts of tune...140ps,150ps,160,ps,180ps & 185ps... from my memory.
It will get to the stage where they will either have to phase it out all together or come up with a complete re-design, from what I have found out over the years its the actual block that is the problem in the angle that the injectors and spark plugs enter + poor cooling.

I wouldn't say I've had an answer, but I wouldn't say I havnt. Had the fact the old engine are crap more than confirmed but the new engines being ok or not I'm still really unsure of. Only had a couple of new engine people post

Mar 13, 2010
Mines a 12 plate, done just over 3k miles in 8 months and has never tocuhed the oil, havent had any issues to worry about just little niggly things becuase im so padantic.

To be jhonest i dont think age has alot to do with it, seems a little more hit and miss with the engines its just the rate of problems seems to get slightly less, its a shame as persoanlly there isnt anything that can match it in terms of outright price/performance and there not to bad on fuel/tax either.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2011
My fellow tribu owners bagged it in one. Performance/cost wise nothing really compares.

I've done 12k in mine too by the way, not a lot but its been well tested.

Jay

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
The way I look at it is this;

It's not the most reliable engine - that's more than proven, old and new - you take a gamble either way.

It *is* an impressive engine regardless, though if you don't want something to worry about you probably should avoid them because they're just not proven.

But - Throughout my ownership of the Ibiza it always felt like something was missing, something wasn't right. Getting back in my 1.8T just felt right, the delivery of the power is far more exciting, the TSi is fast, sure, but it's delivery isn't thrilling. It's a quick car, but it's not exciting.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Most people blowing pistons or needing a new engine have usually done 15-20k miles minimum, There are a couple of people that have had problems from 0 miles but it seems to be if you dont get problems then it will take a while to appear. My car was PERFECT for 15k and then massive misfiring problems overnight

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Thats rediculous. I read about the CTHE engine a while ago with a long list of upgrades inc breather pipes, oil cooler, forged pistons, thicker rings, oil seperator.

I assumed, probably shouldnt have that vw wouldnt release a new engine unless which is vastly different from the original unless all the problems were resolved.

I will have a look on briskoda. I was tempted to buy the new pistons since they would be cheaper than the alteratives, glad I didnt now.

Had a test drive in the 180ps hiundai veloster yesterday, lovely interior and a nice drive................the european one comes at 220bhp, was tempted to jack it all in.

I agree with Lucifer ridiculous. I also had a look at the Veloster. Very nice. I had hoped that the new Leon would have had that kind of shape. Very nice and love the hidden door handles.

Re the question of engine number I can find out from the dealership If I havent got a copy of the paperwork from the last repair. I did have two copies of everything.

Will have a look tonight

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Why would you have a quick 1.4 with a DSG box and not fist it?

61, from 3 miles to 12000 when I got rid after a year.

You might know a different definition of "fisting" than I do.

I know what my mate would do if I said to the "I gave my car a right fisting today"

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
The way I look at it is this;

It's not the most reliable engine - that's more than proven, old and new - you take a gamble either way..

Personally for 12k+ on a year old car I don't think the word gamble should even come into it. If we were talking 700 quid you pay your money and take your gamble.

Last edited:

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
I own a 60plate had it since June 2012. So far it's been flawless. It's used about 1ltr of oil sine I've had it and that was just over 6000 miles. The car is now approaching 20,000 miles. I've even bought another bottle of oil and haven't used it for over a month now.

To me I drove mini coopers and ds3's but the Cupra was best bang for buck and always puts a smile on my face. It's cheap to tax and insure.

Just hope my luck doesn't run out.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I own a 60plate had it since June 2012. So far it's been flawless. It's used about 1ltr of oil sine I've had it and that was just over 6000 miles. The car is now approaching 20,000 miles. I've even bought another bottle of oil and haven't used it for over a month now.

To me I drove mini coopers and ds3's but the Cupra was best bang for buck and always puts a smile on my face. It's cheap to tax and insure.

Just hope my luck doesn't run out.

Is 60 plate the new style engine?

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
The CTHE engine started going into cars at the factory in September. If your car was built before that you will have the CAVE engine in, and depending on but that engine should have the newer revision pistons etc.

My car was built Jan 2011 and has the older CAVE engine with older pistons etc.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
I'm thinking wait for the facelift and get an ex demo one if the new,new ones are better. I prefer the pre facelift/ current shape though.

I do think its a shame that such a nice car has been given a dog poo quality engine and the need for me to post a thread like this as it seems many others have also.The 1.8t is such a solid engine and reliable but due to fuel prices the new one gets a chocolate engine. It's sad times for the petrol head. I have nothing against it being a 1.4 and it seems to be a brilliant engine when on form,just wish it was as solid as its bigger brother.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.