Build quality is shocking - will be my last SEAT ever

9373innes

My Seat Mii SE 3dr has only 1700 miles of town driving. The following problems have come to light.

1. Suspension knocking
2. Water in the boot n rear carpets- causing window to mist up within 2 mins
3. Gearbox Crunching in reverse and 1st
4. Clicking noise from gearbox while idling and not in gear
5. Fuel Gauge inaccurate - full tank, drive 10 mile, needle goes down a quarter.
6. Creaking from driver side windscreen pillar while accelerating.

Not happy at all. currently in at the Colchester SEAT branch.

anybody else had any problems like the above

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
My Seat Mii SE 3dr has only 1700 miles of town driving. The following problems have come to light.

1. Suspension knocking
5. Fuel Gauge inaccurate - full tank, drive 10 mile, needle goes down a quarter.

Least shocking post in history.

Kia Picanto is a vastly superior car in everway. Im amazed vag are getting away flogging this shite.

bazves

1. Suspension knocking

Can't say I've had any of those problems, I'm deligthed with my Mii. For reasons I don't understand there seems to be no great love for the little city car on these forums. I'd recommend you head over to the 'upownersclub' and/or 'Briskoda.net' forums. They both welcome owners from either brand and you'll likely get more help with you actual issues. I have read about VW drivers experiencing problems with water ingress

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Seems you have all the possible problems that have been reported on the up! and Citigo.

1. Problems with rear suspension has been reported
2. Possibly a leaky window, reports of leaks from windows especially front windows have been reported.
3. Known issue due to syncro, gearbox is often replaced. Fix currently being worked on
4. Linked to above
5. On my up! it does tend to go down quickly but never found it an issue as use the maps&more for range and car info.
6. That is a new one, sounds like the door seals are dirty. Try cleaning and dressing with some form of rubber sealant or silicone spray.

AndyT_UK

Jan 21, 2011
YO30 / YO25
"Build quality is shocking - will be my last SEAT ever"

Sorry to hear of your problems, but given that it is built by Volkswagen in Slovakia and is essentially a VW Up! / Skoda Citigo that they fit with SEAT badges, I dont think it fair to blame SEAT as a company.

If it was an Ibiza, Leon, Altea, Exeo etc..actually made by SEAT then fair enough.

zoomer46

true , it also means will never buy another vw -skoda too ..

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com

1. Suspension knocking

I drive one for 300 miles.

The suspension is crap. Really crashy and unpredictable.

The gearbox is also crap. Rough changes, refusal to go in reverse and the ratios are ridiculous. The dsg version has the poorest, most delayed auto change of any car I've ever driven, it nearly throws you through the window when it changes gear!

And finally the fuel gauge is a waste of time, so inaccurate it's unbelievable. I had 30 miles left of my journey with a 1/4 of a tank, within 2 miles the tank showed empty so I panicked and had to pull over to find the nearest station on my phone. The tank lasted the 15 miles to the hill billy filling station then when I put £5 in it went to nearly half a tank!?

I wouldn't spend my money on one. It was supposed to replace the lupo/arosa - it's not half the car they were.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I had an SE and an S for a couple of days each while our Ibiza and Altea were serviced last year. I thought they were OK and vastly better than a C1/107/Aygo or VW Fox.

Yesterday I had a look at a new Peugeot 108 and I really don't think VAG has anything to worry about. Well flimsy, just like the 107.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Further to the comment above, my wife's Ibiza was in this week for a few days for a new front wing (thanks to rust coming throu from the inside). Anyway, she was given a Mii S 5dr on loan. Again, it was fine and she took it on a 120 mile round trip up the M6 and I did my 20 mile each way commute one day.

I'd have one, particularly a Sport or Mango. They had a Nude Mango with sunroof in the showroom and it was rather nice. Not £12k nice probably, but I genuinely couldn't fault it.

Josephine

Dec 31, 2014
I never seen this much of problem to any Seat Mii SE 3dr, it would be good if you find someone who will help you to resolve your problem and consult to some experts who is having good knowledge about all this issues.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I test drove one 2 weeks ago, and also a hyundai i10.

both 5 star cars according to What Car.

both rotten value compared with the Ibiza SWMBO chose instead.

And those are the 2 best city cars out there.

If I really wanted something tiny and tinny, I'd spend 40% less on a Suzuki Alto which is a poor car but way better value than a Mii / i10.

Last edited:
Reactions: '& Son' managed

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
I drive one for 300 miles.

The suspension is crap. Really crashy and unpredictable.

The gearbox is also crap. Rough changes, refusal to go in reverse and the ratios are ridiculous. The dsg version has the poorest, most delayed auto change of any car I've ever driven, it nearly throws you through the window when it changes gear!

And finally the fuel gauge is a waste of time, so inaccurate it's unbelievable. I had 30 miles left of my journey with a 1/4 of a tank, within 2 miles the tank showed empty so I panicked and had to pull over to find the nearest station on my phone. The tank lasted the 15 miles to the hill billy filling station then when I put £5 in it went to nearly half a tank!?

I wouldn't spend my money on one. It was supposed to replace the lupo/arosa - it's not half the car they were.
It's not a DSG - not fair to compare it to one either IMHO - it's ASG, so single clutch. From my experience of automated single-clutch gearboxes it's one of the better ones out there (try a Smart or Toyota one of old..). You can run it in tiptronic mode if you don't like its change points (or timing) - I do. Makes a big difference, especially when you've got changes in terrain as I'll happily concede it is reluctant to change down until the last moment when going up a hill - sometimes too late.

Fuel gauge - it does have a mind of its own, so we wait until the low fuel warning which is usually about 35 miles to go. To be fair, it's no more indecisive than the one in my Passat - that drops a notch within 20 miles of a full tank and below 1/4 does its own thing!

My wife is on her second Citigo now and she's a fussy sod to say the least. If there was anything slightly duff with it, she wouldn't have had another one. She complains when they move her seat when taking the car for a service..

Gearboxes do seem to get some stick - I personally think its a lot down to the thin oil they use to reduce friction but it doesn't seem to be the best unit out there but it is a tiny unit, built down to a price and power point.

Oh - and as for the suspension, it rides (and handles) better than the Fabia vRS I had at the time..

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I like the way it drives, but the interior...the SE we drove looked like it had been stripped for racing. Several areas inside seem unfinished, around the handbrake in particular looks to have bits missing. And bare painted metal inside a modern car!! I don't even think our '73 Marina had bare paintwork inside.

How can they charge more for a stripped out Mii than an Ibiza with plenty of kit?

Whatever, we bought the Ibiza instead and got a proper car and saved £750.

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
My wife is on her second Citigo now and she's a fussy sod to say the least. If there was anything slightly duff with it, she wouldn't have had another one. She complains when they move her seat when taking the car for a service..

Oh - and as for the suspension, it rides (and handles) better than the Fabia vRS I had at the time..

My wife would love one, but for me, after a 30 min drive I have to get out due to the un-supportive seat.

Oh - The Fabia VRS must be a complete nightmare..

benvendetta

Aug 28, 2015
No problems.......

No probs with my 13 plate Mii Sport yet, which I have had since May. It is reasonably nippy (not really much different from the 1.6 MX5 that it replaced). Mind you, 75bhp is exactly half of what our 64 plate Leon FR is...........:D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members