Guide:- Removing Secondary Air Injection

OliMonty

Mk 3 Ibiza Cupra
Mar 13, 2007
Apologies for dragging up an old thread! SAI on mine has been removed, blanking plates fitted and a 330 ohm resister is 'slotted' into the connector that used to attach to the SAI pump. Think the previous owner had an engine light pop up now and again but had no engine light for a while. It has popped up again since I have owned the car and I checked the resistor was still fitted correctly and that the resistor wasnt blown using a voltmeter and it was all fine. Went to SEAT and got the code cleared but it popped back within 5 minutes of driving (doh!). The N249 and N112 valves are still installed but the fault code is for missing SAI only so not sure what more I can do? I suppose I could solder the resistor directly to the connecter but not sure what the best route to do this is i.e. cutting the connector off, stripping the wires back and soldering the resistor directly to the wires??

Any suggestions? Car drives fine but I have a permanent diagnostic light on which is a bit annoying and masks any other faults that may pop up...

Cheers for your help!

Oct 2, 2006
Get yourself a second hand Scangauge ii, it plugs into the OBD port and you can read and clear the codes, thats what I use in mine saves going to a garage to get the EML light off like you mentioned.

Have a look on Egay there are occasionaly some on there, hope this helps a little.

OliMonty

Mk 3 Ibiza Cupra
Mar 13, 2007
Thanks mate, I was strongly considering getting a scan tool but didn't know what would be best suited for just reading and clearing codes. Do you need to get any additional software specific to the car or is it just plug and play?

Oct 2, 2006
No worries at all, its pretty much plug and play, you set some parameters like engine size and stuff. You can change the colour of the screen to red also so it matches nicely with the OEM speedo and dash lighting. Its a good piece of kit.

I think a member on here JamieBennet had one for sale a while ago in the classifieds.:)

MrWill

Aug 10, 2009
Bristol, UK
I'm guna try and do this today.....is the secondary air pump easy to find? I don't have a clue as to where abouts in the engine it is?? Go from underneath I guess?

MrWill

Aug 10, 2009
Bristol, UK
Found it. Took the first three bolts off then could only see 2 of the 3 next bolts to get the bracket off and couldnt get any leverage on them so couldnt undo them...had to give up! Surely there's an easier way?

danny_dub

Mine ibiza has thrown a light on and when I plug it in it comes back as Secondary Air Injection. Seeing this thread I mite take mine out. Has anyone still got problems with their lights coming on even after removing it??

Steve.sic

Hi guys does any 1 know if the SAP blanking plate is the same size as the blanking plate for EGR on like a gttdi or a defender 300itd ? Just cus there a lot cheaper to buy than the 1 forge or the awesome gti 1

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
is this the same as on a auq leon. and also waht problems would leaving the secondry system cause. mine has stopped working it used to make a mad noise in the morning and now it just died.

johnrennie8

Aug 2, 2015
is this the same as on a auq leon. and also waht problems would leaving the secondry system cause. mine has stopped working it used to make a mad noise in the morning and now it just died.
Did your air pump make a whine noise in the morning or from a cold start? Mines does this at the moment

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Merlo156

Jul 28, 2015
What is that part needed for?
The original air filter box has also an opening from a pipe from this secondary air injection. Can I remove the original air filter box and install an universal sports air filter, ignoring the pipe from secondary air injection?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
YEs you can replace the airbox, if not it's vital to block that pipe off as otherwise it will let air into the engine that hasn't passed through the air filter!