Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Most cambelts I have swapped out on other cars are not much different... they never seem to stay in the middle...

I have noticed the difference in not having the VVT working (disconnected for now as it rattles on changeover)... turbo seems less lively on spool...

<tuffty/>

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Most cambelts I have swapped out on other cars are not much different... they never seem to stay in the middle...

I have noticed the difference in not having the VVT working (disconnected for now as it rattles on changeover)... turbo seems less lively on spool...

<tuffty/>

I suppose it shows you what a tuned Vvt gains then...

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Bill called TPS for a price of a new VVT unit... turns out they retail for around 430 quid and the discount was rubbish!...

So... I took a chance on one from GSF... half the price and a 'pattern part' but comes with a 12 month warranty so f*ck it... worth a punt...

20130301_121638.jpg

20130301_121650.jpg

No markings so clearly not trying to obviously copy an OEM one unlike the chinese copies and the blatant OEM copy I bought... just to remind you the chinese copy gave me a set point not reached fault code all the time and the forgery was bought believing it to be genuine... which it wasn't...

Only need to undo the inlet cam to remove the tensioner unit... fitted the tensioner tool first then sequentially undid the cam caps to let the cam lift up uniformly...
20130301_124011.jpg

...then lift the inlet twisting as you go to allow the tensioner and cam to be lifted out...
20130301_124200.jpg

Slide the tensioner out from chain trying to keep the chain in its original position to keep the cam to cam timing right (can be sorted later if you **** it up of course)... I removed the inlet as it was just easier for me but as long as you keep the chain set as it was there is no need to...

Fitted a new gasket...
20130301_125753.jpg

...and fitted the new unit... marked up the 16 rollers and timed up the cams...
20130301_131730.jpg

...removed the tensioner tool and chucked everything back together...
20130301_145043.jpg

...phew!... started the engine and apart from the initial rattle as the tensioner filled with oil its was all quiet and good.. yay!... checked for fault codes and nothing came up...

Hopefully thats the end of my VVT woes and potentially a reasonable supplier of replacement VVT units where you don't end up walking like John Wayne for 6 months after buying one...

No dyno today but will be on at some point this weekend...

<tuffty/>

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
Awesome! Can't wait for your Dyno with new cams. I also Dyno my car with same turbo next week.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Quick interim update... car is on the dyno... a quick fault code check revealed the set point not reached code that seems to haunt the pattern part VVT market... arse... will deal with that later but want to check to see if it comes back in case it was just a 'running in' issue...

First results on the ADR cams are in... 408hp (up from 389hp), torque is down a bit but that is due to the boost being lower... I am running fixed duty cycles to get boost control over 1.5bar so for the same duty I am getting less boost... this is a result of the engine breathing better so the next thing to do is turn boost back up and see where things end up...

More later :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Ok... things I have learnt from today....my car is very fussy about back to back runs and gets herself in a right two and eight.... she also doesn't like 30psi for too long either...

So... the conclusion of today was that the NA cams did give me peak power at higher RPM for less boost but at the expense of power and torque before 5k rpm...

Consistency was an issue so I really need to get my meth installed as the IAT's were climbing after each run hindering things... EGT's were not too shabby mostly peaking at 750deg in its post turbine position (approx 850 deg where the OE position is) but did hit 790deg at one point after a few back to back runs after turning up the boost bit...

Where we have left it for now is running a little less boost but getting a bit more peak torque and torque at higher RPM... this should keep the old girl happy for now while I decide the next course of action...

With a bit of tweaking I could return her back to over 400hp but I lose torque and everything gets hot... I would rather sit back now and look at the logs and graphs to work out where we are and get the WMI fitted to improve consistency of the runs...

Not a wasted day but proves its not always as easy to get what you think out of stuff...

Bill believes the NA cams are better suited to the smaller turbos and a set will be tested on the Lupo soon...

Scores on the doors so far...

tuffty-nacamtest.jpg

DynoIT-tuffty-nacamtest.jpg

While not at 400hp as yet I decided I wanted to run a little less boost at the moment until the WMI is on and I have decided on the fate of the NA cams... if we can't get them to lift power and torque at higher rpm a decent amount over the std cams then I think I would prefer to have the std cams and the lower down power etc back tbh...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Interesting, would it be worth testing the agn cam.

Don't know if they are any different?.. I think there maybe some more to come but need to get the engine behaving consistently at high boost first before I even think about torturing myself changing cams again lol...

Car feels blisteringly quick tbh

<tuffty/>

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
I read on the SERE motors section that someone asked for a price on a VVT unit and decided to import one from the USA because it was quite a lot cheaper than UK prices... I'm not sure how the guy got on with it though!

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
nope
specs suggest its the same as ADR dont they?
Very slightly more lift on the exhaust cam i think from memory. I searched on line about these cams and it seems the smaller turbos sufferring from increased backpressure may benefit more (k04 hybrid etc). I also spoke to Piper Cams who reconned thier mild street 20vt pair of camshafts would yield decent gains without loss of too much lowdown drivability but at £500 you would hope so.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Wasn ADR delivered both as big and smallport and also as a non turbo application, same as NA cams? I might be totally wrong about this tho

yep they were.
tufftys came out of a smallport adr head which also had vvt on it of an audi a4

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members