Clutch pedal on the floor

BUBBA808

Dec 23, 2009
bringing up a very old thread...i had problems with my clutch pedal receding to the floor, ended up changing the master and slave cylinder, slave cylinder was the fault! This maybe the 3rd syncro problem as clutch has not engaged properly!

adam852011

please help!!!!

hi all. i am a newbie. i have just gone out and got myself a seat cupra r. the car is a joy to drive up until now. the car when driving crunches into 2nd gear only. could this be a syncro problem?
also today i was driving down the road and come to the junction and pushed in the clutch and the peddle stayed on the floor and car carried on driving like i hadnt pressed the clutch. i managed to stall it. it then wudnt change gear and i cudnt understand why as the clutch was pressed down. i then realised the peddle wasnt coming back up so i pulled it up with my hands. it then engaged into gear and off i went. i got 5mins down the road before it did it again so i just pulled it back up with my hands. i then went andbles the clutch out took car out seemed ok and thenpulling back onto street pressed clutch in and stayed on floor again. i have checked the level and its not loosing fluid. i have checked to see if its all dry near peddle andaroundthat area andit is. i sat pressing the peddle when car was turned off and my mate waslooking for leaksand he said it sounds like when i press peddle down its sucking air in. i rung the guy i got it off and he said its just had a slave cylinder. what can it be? can anyone help. i darent takemy kids in the car while its like this. i have just left it parked up. i have tried n tried to get it to stick down but it only does it when driving and car is on. all thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

maany thanks adam

adam852011

also i have just noticed that when i looked for leaks threw the passenger side wheel there a part on the gearbox that seams to have something missing and looks to be leaking oili think ever so slightly. you can see a black circular sealand also bearings of sumsort. anyone know whats meant to be there?

thanks

Chrissy20vt

Nov 2, 2009
hi all. i am a newbie. i have just gone out and got myself a seat cupra r. the car is a joy to drive up until now. the car when driving crunches into 2nd gear only. could this be a syncro problem?
also today i was driving down the road and come to the junction and pushed in the clutch and the peddle stayed on the floor and car carried on driving like i hadnt pressed the clutch. i managed to stall it. it then wudnt change gear and i cudnt understand why as the clutch was pressed down. i then realised the peddle wasnt coming back up so i pulled it up with my hands. it then engaged into gear and off i went. i got 5mins down the road before it did it again so i just pulled it back up with my hands. i then went andbles the clutch out took car out seemed ok and thenpulling back onto street pressed clutch in and stayed on floor again. i have checked the level and its not loosing fluid. i have checked to see if its all dry near peddle andaroundthat area andit is. i sat pressing the peddle when car was turned off and my mate waslooking for leaksand he said it sounds like when i press peddle down its sucking air in. i rung the guy i got it off and he said its just had a slave cylinder. what can it be? can anyone help. i darent takemy kids in the car while its like this. i have just left it parked up. i have tried n tried to get it to stick down but it only does it when driving and car is on. all thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

maany thanks adam

My experience last moth was exactly the same, pedal to the floor, would start as if it was in gear,

Mine stunk of clutch burn though, Alas it was my clutch nackered - Id say if its a cylinder your lucky, Clutch was in total for me £575 supplied and fitted, and it does not come cheaper than that including the flywheel that will be needed also.

Chrissy

adam852011

turns out it was the master cylinder after all so have changed that and now ok. now just need to figure out why it crunches into 2nd gear if drove fast, when driving slow its fine. has anyone got any ideas what this could be? thanks

ash36

Hi Just has thhis problem twice within 10000 miles. first time it was the master cylinder.
second time it was the pedal fault. the RAC guy did a temporary fix by putting a bolt and nut through the box on the pedal to stop the master cylinder rod going through, he also bolted the pedal on to the housing.
i got a new pedal and clip, did the fix myself with all the information on the posts. Thank you very Much.
I have now noticed the clutch pedal is sticking. not springing up when in first gear. Any idea what the problem is. Also what kind of clutch fluid should i put in as i released the bleed nipple to allow the rod to go back so i can put the white clip on which wasnt easy. does it go in the same resovoir as the break fluid. Mine is a Seat Toledo 1.9tdi x reg

dave36

first of all hi there to all i have the cupra1.8t last night clutch pedal slamed to the floor had to force it back up it bent the rod and the clip is no were to be seen.ive been told that if you cant push the rod in with engine started then the clutch is pooped is this true or will it be the master cyclinder thats pooped?

danza

Does anybody know the part numbers for the clutch pedal and the little black piece of plastic that breaks when the metal bit pops off the pedal? My wife's Y reg Cupra has the pedal on the floor after this happening last night.

judgy

My clutch pedal has broke and is now flat at the back. To top it all it's stuck in Milton Keynes at a mates house. I'm going to have a go myself but if my patients runs out does anybody know a good garage in MK to fix the problem without charging mega bucks??

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
dreaded clutch problem

hi, my experience of the clutch on floor problem is same as marraa posted

105000 miles on my cupra -) love the car :)

clutch soggy monday morn, thursday could only drive by pumping pedal like someone bailing out titanic.

friday limped to dealer early morn crunch crunch. (i use main dealer as usually quick but expensive) they replaced master cylinder and all sorts linked to it.

picked car up today (£400) ..... got 2 miles from dealer no clutch no way going anywhere
AA towed me back in to dealer, he reckoned slave cylinder at fault ( common and known fault as muttley has said elswhere) said both slave and master should have been done at same time. also mentioned that in the current climate
garages frightened of giving out large bills.

moral of story ..... you just cant win all the time

looks like another bill coming !!

problems with car over 105000 miles - none except what others have said on this

great site :)

ps i have a loan car vauxhall thingy 1.2 - have turned key but someone has stolen engine
i think --- does this car have one ? like to laugh but feel like crying.

andycupra

status subject to change
ive had the clutch pedal failure, weld failed and white click passed through the pedal and the rod was bent.

Ive repaced the pedal and straightened the rod, (not that easy given access issues, getting the spring back in place on the pedal is a PITA.

Anyway, all seems well, no leak etc, However the bite point is now low on the pedal, and the pedal needs to be push all the way down for changes.
This may be due to the rod not being 100% straight or could something have moved inside the master?
Or indeed is the rod adjustable? for example does it screw in/out so length can be adjusted?

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
mine turned out to be slave cylinder so gearbox out new clutch etc
second bill 800 quid just as predicted by recovery man!
most of cost labour
dont know about how pedal adjusts it just seemed too big a job for diy to take box out
sorry cant help you:(
but somewhere on this site i bet you will find the info:)

discostued

Apr 4, 2013
Surrey
Suffered the clutch pedal problem myself in my old leon 90 tdi.

Called AA and within 30 mins a nice chat pulled up, told me it was a common problem.

dismantled half the dash on the drivers side and with the aid of magic tape was on my way in 40 mins with advice that i need to get it sorted asap.

local garage ordered new clutch pedal and on my way to get it fitted (300 miles later) it went again 2 roads away from the garage!!

lucky for me a the guys in the garage pushed it on the promis of a crete of beer.

think it cost £120 for part and fitting.

But such a pain when goes as you are stranded

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Mine went a month a go,rac bloke did a temp fix on it to get me home 15 miles,me & a mate took pedal out & welded plate back on but the temp fix had bent the master cylinder shaft which cost me £45

kr1s77

Feb 1, 2013
Birmingham
this happened to mine tonight, so gonna have look in the morning. hopefully the nut and bolt trick will work for me, fingers crossed.

fatreg

Happened to me the other week, £35 for new pedal and plastic bits from TPS, about an hour or so to fit, sorted!

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
Hmmmmm....

Well. Tony at the garage just got back to me. The whole pedal including the little white clip and the spot-welded box thingy is intact. He says it looks like the master cylinder is broken. He then cursed the design of the car because the cylinder is in the gear box or something. He then told me it looks like 1 1/2 days work. He's provisionally saying £250 plus parts (however much they are), but he thinks it'll be closer to £350-400+.
Ouch!

He's going to check out my clutch while he's in there too and see how much life it has left in it. I asked him to get in touch with me if it looks like it's going to be over £400.

The guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Do these prices sound right, or scary-high?

Sarah

that job is about 5hrs long,, don't know where the got a day and a half from,,,

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.