New model Toledo section? Any owners yet?

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
I'm looking at them as my potential next car. Not really a toledo, more a long wheel base cordoba hatch! Which, having owned a 6L cordoba deals with that car's only real flaws in my view. :)

There is an ex demo one for sale at a main dealer near me; black 1.6 TDI SE with optional 17" wheels. Looks pretty nice. A bit high riding perhaps...I would probably go for the 1.2 TSI as I'm not sure about the 1.6 diesel

multimum1

Looked at one the other day for a nosey..... Brilliant looking car! The hatchback version of the tailgate is fabulous... much easier... That'll be our next car - when this one finally gives upi the ghost in a few years...

DBrown67

Hello :) I'm new to the forum.

Just been reading up and researching all I can about the new Toledo and Skoda Rapid over the last couple of weeks. As a taxi driver I've decided to go for a new Toledo as my current car's licence expires at the end of March and is past it's age limit.

I ordered the new car yesterday in Passion red, for delivery 2nd April. It seems like it ticks just about all the right boxes for me in the job. I'm currently driving an old shape Octavia (04 plate) which with over 300K miles is still giving back around 50 mpg throughout the day and is extremely reliable. The mpg on the new Seat might be optimistic in the brochure, but I'm still expecting some improvement. This is my first car with a DPF though, so time will tell how this goes. Read about some horror stories. Can't get a new diesel car without one it seems due to crappy EU regulations, so something I couldn't really avoid.

Spec ordered is an SX model, which is not listed in the brochure I know. It's a special made on the production line for taxi use only (it appears on the log book as SX). It's basically an S model with the 1.6 Ecomotive diesel, with a couple of extras essential for taxi use across the UK. There are two S features cancelled out to balance up the costs (namely manually controlled mirrors instead of electric ones and there's no alarm box, though all the other security features are there... it just can't make a noise!)

Got a decent enough deal... £12,995 financed over 60 months with no deposit. Dealer's couldn't get anywhere near this. However, it is an offer to the taxi trade only.

I always said I'd not get a new car for the job again after I bought a new Skoda Superb 10 years ago. It was a lovely car and worked fine for seven years. But the finance was heavy. Though ten years on this deal is better than that one, and the car is only slightly less specced.

The leg room in the back appealed to me (I'm 6ft 2") and I'm constantly being asked to move my seat forward in the Octavia. The boot of course is more than adequate. The fuel consumption should be better too and the stop/start system will be new to me. See how that goes. The only gripe is that there isn't electric windows in the back. Can be very annoying when customers get out of the back and have left the windows down. Can't understand why the S model gets electric/heated wing mirrors but not electric rear windows. Strange! I may need to take a screwdriver to the window winders if it becomes a problem. Haha!

Anyway, I'll see how things go and post back with how it works. Looking forward to the new car, but as ever the novelty will wear off quick. Just hope to get get a decent saving on fuel to offset some of the finance cost and that it proves as reliable as the trusty Octavia. If I can save just £25 - £30 a week then that's around £100 of the finance offset.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyT_UK

Jan 21, 2011
YO30 / YO25
Congratulations on your new purchase. Interesting to read about the taxi only SX version. Keep us updated with any news!

DBrown67

Good write up!

All thes ones I've seen so far are taxis near me

Well I'm in Leeds and I've been keeping my eyes open on the road to see a new Toledo. Not seen one at all so far. The one I saw at the dealers was on the road but it was a reps company car. I've seen one Rapid on the road. Doesn't look like a best seller then. Seems I'll be unique for a while. Who said this was a boring car? :p

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Price sounds very good compared to the list for a regular 1.6 TDI S! What are the extras essential for taxi use?

DBrown67

Price sounds very good compared to the list for a regular 1.6 TDI S! What are the extras essential for taxi use?

A centre rear headrest is fitted (it's an option on S and SE spec) and a full size spare wheel instead of a space saver. Different councils and boroughs across the UK have their own sets of rules for taxis and private hire vehicles. Some areas might not need either of these extras, but some do. With this spec the car is acceptable nationwide.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Had a look at one of these today seemed quite a good car. Interior very VW-esque and a cut above what you'd normally expect from SEAT. Deeply practical too.

DBrown67

Took delivery of this yesterday. Very impressed with it so far. Not actually done many miles as I've not worked in it yet.

I did read as many reviews as possible online for this vehicle and it's sister car the Skoda Rapid. Some of the stuff written in those reviews is utter bollocks. Such as... "the car thumps over bumps". Not at all. Done about 100 miles so far (hardly any I know to form a review) but enough to dispel crap such as that.

Another one I was concerned about (needlessly) was a review that stated the stop/start technology "ruined the ambiance of radio 4 as it made the car shudder when the car restarted". More horse ****! It just starts, as normal. No shaking, no shuddering.

Another one.... "noise and vibration is transmitted through the pedals at all times". Utter rubbish.

One complaint throughout most reviews was the use of cheap, hard plastics in the interior. It's not a problem except on the steering wheel. I'll give them that one. It is a bit crappy on the lower spec models. Even my old 04 plate Skoda Octavia Ambience had a nicer feeling wheel. But for the dash tops and other areas... come on. It's not like you touch them when driving. It's like they are looking for something to criticise......

Which brings me onto my biggest bugbear with the reviews I've seen for these cars (Seat and Skoda).... that of them being boring and uninspiring! One review I read spent 75% of it's time slagging it off for being dull.

Not every car can be an E-Type Jag. Or whatever else you might personally think is exciting on four wheels.

This car ticks all the right boxes for practicality. And I agree that box ticking exercises aren't exactly something to get orgasmic about. But if being understated or dull is the main thing they can bang on about for being "wrong" with this car... well... it can't be at all bad then can it?

AndyT_UK

Jan 21, 2011
YO30 / YO25
Still not seen one.
Did see a "threesome" of Skoda Rapids near Caerphilly in Wales - Uk plates, foreign drivers, maybe a foreign car mag test drive?
Still, no section for the new Toledo on here though. A very low key car at the moment!

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
HEY GUYS good news my sister picked her new toldeo up yesterday a white 62 palte she loves it..sheem alot more comfortable then my ibiza nd the boot...is huge u could hide a body in there lol

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Still not seen one.
Did see a "threesome" of Skoda Rapids near Caerphilly in Wales - Uk plates, foreign drivers, maybe a foreign car mag test drive?
Still, no section for the new Toledo on here though. A very low key car at the moment!

Saw my first one on Monday. Was a black taxi so guess it was an SX? Had no wheeltrims which automatically aged it about 20 years.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
What engine did she get? All the ones on autotrader are the 1.6 TDI. I thought there'd be more 1.2 TSIs

I've noticed this too, all the dealers seem to have is demo 1.6 TDIs and there doesn't seem to be a single petrol car in existence yet!

Think its going to be a very slow seller for SEAT as although in isolation its a good car it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the range. The Rapid on other hand fits in better with the Skoda range.

Still, it does deserve its own section!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.