Changing transmission fluid on 2.0tfsi - here's how...

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
So since I had the new clutch put in and changed the bushings on the linkage i've noticed that the car seems to stick in gear in the lower gears and is dufficult to get in to the new gear. Thought i'd start simple in finding a solution and decided to change the tranny fluid.

The missus kindly picked up these through the week...

First of all you need to jack the car and secure it on some stands. Then remove the plastic underneath by taking out the eight screws that look like this...

This is what you'll need to do it...

Once that is off then you need to locate the drain plug and fill plug...

Red is the fill plug and this is the first one you need to loosen (because if this won't come off then there's no point draining the fluid). Then undo the drain plug (green) - You'll need one of these for both plugs...

...and let it run out in to a suitable container as such...

When it was done it looked like this!!!! And they say this stuff can stay in for the lifetime of the vehicle - as my friand Crafoo would say, REALLY?!?!?!

So now time to fill her up. I bought myself a smart price funnel from Asda for a quid and then 50cm of 12.5mm tube from B&Q...

...fed it down from the top of the engine bay and pushed the pipe in to the fill hole...

Then start to fill her up - notice how nice and clean and clear the fluid is...

You'll need two and a bit bottles. Once you start to use the third bottle it's an idea to get a second pair of eyes on the fill hole so they can shout when the fluid starts to overflow out - otherwise you'll just end up pouring half a bottle of tranny fluid on the drive.

Once she's had her fill, put the plugs back in. I'm not sure what the torque setting is but i did em up nice and hand tight with a regular sized ratchet. Then put the plastics back on drop her down. Take her for a spin and enjoy the smoother gear changes.

I must admit, she is still sticking slightly in gear but she goes straight in to her new gear easily and the problem doesn't feel half as bad as before.

This is an easy job if you have the tools and looking at the state of my old fluid it DOES need doing.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Cracking write up mate, that old stuff does look pretty grim doesn't it.

I'll definitely do mine I think, looking at these pics and hearing the results it's got to be worth it for the 30 minutes it'll take.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

calvR

Oct 21, 2011
Kent
I'm going to be doing this myself soon so just checking on something. Does the car need to be level when you
re fill with oil? If the procedure is to fill up to the level of the fill hole, surely if just the front of the car is lifted, you will get slightly more oil in there than if the car was lifted on a ramp for example. Not sure it will make a huge difference but just to be safe :)

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
I went for the Redline MTL, which I believe is 70w80.

How is it going on that Redline oil? I know on the 02M gearboxes it ends up giving a real shitty shift, and seeing as the 02Q is pretty much the same box I'm curious if it works out better than OEM fluid. :)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
I'm going to be doing this myself soon so just checking on something. Does the car need to be level when you
re fill with oil? If the procedure is to fill up to the level of the fill hole, surely if just the front of the car is lifted, you will get slightly more oil in there than if the car was lifted on a ramp for example. Not sure it will make a huge difference but just to be safe :)

I did wonder about this but I asked at the local dealers and my independant and was assured that the small amount of overfill wouldn't do any harm. If anyone has different information then please shout up...

How is it going on that Redline oil? I know on the 02M gearboxes it ends up giving a real shitty shift, and seeing as the 02Q is pretty much the same box I'm curious if it works out better than OEM fluid. :)

To be fair, after I put the new clutch and flywheel in the shift became really horrid and this stuff has improved it. If you see the pictures of the horrid black 'water' that came out then anything would be an improvement.

It still has a tendancy to stick 'in' the lower gears but is much, much smoother than before when the old stuff was in.

kilner

May 8, 2011
i put redline into my car

and the gear change is horrible i think i will be goin back to standard fluid soon

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
Which Redline did you go for mate? I did ask about the different viscosities and was assured that the MTL was best for what I wanted and that others would not improve things or make them worse.

kilner

May 8, 2011
Which Redline did you go for mate? I did ask about the different viscosities and was assured that the MTL was best for what I wanted and that others would not improve things or make them worse.

im not 100% sure now as opie oils recomended it for me but now they dont recomend the stuff and i carnt find the tub that it was in

calvR

Oct 21, 2011
Kent
I did wonder about this but I asked at the local dealers and my independant and was assured that the small amount of overfill wouldn't do any harm. If anyone has different information then please shout.

Thanks for clearing that up mate, if it doesn't hold that much oil anyway it would be hard to overfill by to much I'd imagine.
I can't believe the state of the oil that came out. It's one of the reasons I'm changing mine after seeing yours.

Mar 12, 2012
Halifax
Is this the same for diesel FR CR?

Not sure mate, is yours a six speed manual? If so it could well be.

Thanks for clearing that up mate, if it doesn't hold that much oil anyway it would be hard to overfill by to much I'd imagine.
I can't believe the state of the oil that came out. It's one of the reasons I'm changing mine after seeing yours.

And that was at 22k!!!

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Finally picked mine up today - just need to get my axle stands back now :lol:

Last edited:

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Guys do check with Redline this stuff is ok for your cars gearbox.
On the ibiza tdi 6spd its not approved for use they need to use a 70w oil (fuchs sintofluid) and i have the email from redline saying so.
Be careful

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.