James' LCR - 2008cc Stroker HTA GT3071r! - Tuned @ Badger5

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
B5 Cam Update

Sorry I haven't been on here and updated this. Have been manic recently at work.

Went up to Bills on Saturday to have the cams put in, long day all in all... once thing lead to another and before we knew it the turbo was off the car as some of the bolts where backing out of the hotside, cams wouldn't time up correctly etc etc.

Anyway after a long day the cams are in and are epic! Wants to rev so much...

A few pics.

Cams all fixed together, gears on, wheel on.

null_zps67c40156.jpg
[/URL]

Cams going in

null_zpsfab0b73a.jpg
[/URL]

I was a little bit nervous at first about how far the belt sits near the edge of the pulley but I was reasured by the B5 team and drove it >200 miles back home and it's still going.

Unfortunatly didn't get a chance to put it on the dyno due to how late we finished but will be up there again at some point i'm sure and will hopefully get it done then. One thing I have noticed is that the rev limiter will need to be raised from it's current 7,800rpm as it feels like it just wants to keep reving.

Obviously didn't get the meth kit installed, that is going on the list of 'to-do' along with fitting locking fixers to the turbo hotside to stop the bolts backing out again.

Thanks to bill & paul for their profesionalism as always.

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Great stuff James. Have to say those cams looked so impressive in the flesh, billet ftw.
Can't wait to see what the car can do on the dyno :)
It Was good to catch up again.

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Great stuff James. Have to say those cams looked so impressive in the flesh, billet ftw.
Can't wait to see what the car can do on the dyno :)
It Was good to catch up again.

Yer good to see you too mate, yer looking forward to see what it does on the dyno aswell, should start with a 5...

There is an AmD RR next week which the cams would be the only difference since the last one so should show a relative gain.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Glad its Epic..

We can ease the limiter up to 8200rpm or more.. My ibiza's 8800rpm, was 9000rpm previously.. :p

See if its still making more ponies in the upper revs.. which it could well be now with those cams.
What do you make of any losses lower in the rpm range?

regards
bill

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Glad its Epic..

We can ease the limiter up to 8200rpm or more.. My ibiza's 8800rpm, was 9000rpm previously.. :p

See if its still making more ponies in the upper revs.. which it could well be now with those cams.
What do you make of any losses lower in the rpm range?

regards
bill

Would be good to raise the limiter, where is the safety point with hydraulic lifters?

Any losses in the lower RPM's aren't that bad especially in a FWD car, where as it was starting to boost quite hard by 3K it's now more like 3.5K so not a HUGE difference and keeps pulling harder right up to the current limiter at 7.8K?

Did put big :D on my face when I gave it the beans past 6K!

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
Did you do any logs on the liquid see what maf readings your getting with the cams installed?

Will try and get these done, haven't driven the car since having back.

Was just thinking this.

On the list mate, might have a go this weekend if the weather holds up. Need to get a full logging session done just the battery on my laptop has died and have to run it off the mains.

Nice bike choice James, love the colour if that's what your going for

Yer that is the plan to go for that colour.
What cat cam profile did you go for.

Cat Cams 3658's

Another awesome step in this build!

Top effort mate looking amazing :)

Thank you!

Dec 25, 2009
Would be good to raise the limiter, where is the safety point with hydraulic lifters?

Any losses in the lower RPM's aren't that bad especially in a FWD car, where as it was starting to boost quite hard by 3K it's now more like 3.5K so not a HUGE difference and keeps pulling harder right up to the current limiter at 7.8K?

Did put big :D on my face when I gave it the beans past 6K!

Like It! :D

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Will try and get these done, haven't driven the car since having back.

On the list mate, might have a go this weekend if the weather holds up. Need to get a full logging session done just the battery on my laptop has died and have to run it off the mains.

Yer that is the plan to go for that colour.

Cat Cams 3658's

Thank you!

maf readings will be meaningless.... scaled completely differently in map

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Couple of pics of your car at the Comrades-of-Vag Dyno Day at AmD today mate:

DSC00550_zpsabb64c28.jpg

DSC00556_zps994c5e49.jpg

This car is just immense. Thanks for the passenger ride. What an absolute beast!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise